Soulcalibur VI Character Traits Thread

Nyte

Fu-ma's Shadow
Credits to @Norik for highlighting this and bringing it to my attention.

Each character in the game has a unique "trait" of their own, as an addition that further sets each character apart from the baseline mechanics. Some are more obvious than others, but all have one.

They are:

Astaroth: Increased throw range and access to Super Armor during Soul Charge.
Azwel: Summons weapons into existence and has three ranges to choose from (long, mid, close).
Geralt: Can access five different signs during combat at the expense of meter (Aard, Igni, Yrden, Quen, and Axii). Soul Charge allows him to use all five freely.
Grøh: Has two different methods of fighting, either wielding one large saber or dual-wielding two smaller blades. He can also teleport during his Soul Charge.
Ivy: Regains her Serpent's Embrace stance and has a new long-range command throw. Summon Suffering is now unblockable.
Kilik: Accesses his "possessed state" during his Soul Charge, which greatly increases his power and gives him a new Critical Edge but rapidly depletes his health.
Maxi: Can switch into a different stance with an additional input after attacking, and can stop to enter a Pure Soul Loop stance which gives him a damage buff.
Mitsurugi: Regains his Relic stance, and some of his strings end in Reversal Edge parries.
Nightmare: Regains his Night Behind Stance, and many of his moves grant him temporary Soul Charge boost.
Seong Mi-na: Her attacks have different properties at tip and close range.
Siegfried: Has a special State called Dark Legacy, which activates at lower health and grant him additional options such as more Lethal Hit combos.
Sophitia: Her signature punishers now lead to a new Lethal Hit combo upon counterhit. Soul Charge extends many of her strings.
Taki: Her Mekki-Maru causes chip damage at all times. Additionally, she has a new and exclusive projectile.
Talim: Has a new Air Rage stance, which enables her to use various wind-based attacks. Her Critical Edge also grants her restored health upon finish.
Tira: Has two different playing styles depending on whether she's in her Jolly or Gloomy states.
Voldo: Has two different Critical Edges depending on which direction is facing his opponent. He can also do Reversal Edge while backturned.
Xianghua: Has a new stance that is visually similar to Xiaoyu's Age of Phoenix stance from Tekken.
Yoshimitsu: He can absorb his opponent's "soul" which takes from their meter and adds to his own, and can perform enhanced moves similar to the SCV's otherwise-cut Brave Edge mechanic.
Zasalamel: He can stack multiple levels of "curse" on his opponent, which he can then spend to temporarily freeze time.

So, regarding these traits, what do you predict will be the traits for unrevealed/DLC characters? Discuss.

My predictions:

Cervantes: Has a new stance that involves being airborne and using flight.
Lizardman: His Soul Charge activates his "feral state", where he discards his sword and uses his claws with faster movement and pouncing moves with a more savage style.
Hwang: Has different stances ranging from his sword to kickboxing, and have different properties.
Raphael: Has a passive where a small portion of damage inflicted on his opponent is added to his own health, due to vampirism. His CE will have him restore health as well.

Last edited:
I feel like Raphael's would have something to do with evasive stances related to his dancing skills, not vampirism, since he wouldn't be malfested yet.

I feel like Raphael's would have something to do with evasive stances related to his dancing skills, not vampirism, since he wouldn't be malfested yet.
Except...

Nightmare wouldn't be holding Soul Edge with one hand at this point, because originally he was based entirely on Siegfried.
Yoshimitsu wouldn't have two swords, one of them being the Fu-ma Blade, because he originally only had one.
Tira wouldn't have her Jolly and Gloomy personalities, because she didn't have them split until before SCIV when this takes place before SCIII.

Remember, this is a reboot. I imagine he'll still be a vampire before he originally did.

Except...

Nightmare wouldn't be holding Soul Edge with one hand at this point, because originally he was based entirely on Siegfried.
Yoshimitsu wouldn't have two swords, one of them being the Fu-ma Blade, because he originally only had one.
Tira wouldn't have her Jolly and Gloomy personalities, because she didn't have them split until before SCIV when this takes place before SCIII.

Remember, this is a reboot. I imagine he'll still be a vampire before he originally did.

Well if you pay attention to Tira’s trailer, you can see that she do has her 2 personnalites (you can see her yellow color while fighting :Jolly and purple during her SoulCharge moves : Gloomy).

Well if you pay attention to Tira’s trailer, you can see that she do has her 2 personnalites (you can see her yellow color while fighting :Jolly and purple during her SoulCharge moves : Gloomy).
I know that. He's referring to Raphael not being a vampire because he wouldn't at this point in time, disregarding that this is a reboot and other retcons are in place, and it'd be easy (and practical) to make him a vampire earlier for gameplay reasons.

I know that. He's referring to Raphael not being a vampire because he wouldn't at this point in time, disregarding that this is a reboot and other retcons are in place, and it'd be easy (and practical) to make him a vampire earlier for gameplay reasons.

Ooow yep. Raph won’t be a vampire i think, he will be a french noble like in SC2 i think

Ooow yep. Raph won’t be a vampire i think, he will be a french noble like in SC2 i think
So you're saying Raphael won't be a vampire "because timelines even though this is a reboot" even though Tira still has split personalities when the same thing could be said?

Tira not having split personality Jolly/Gloomy stances in SoulCalibur III was only a technical limitation. You can call it a "retcon", but it was always meant to be that way in the story. She was very obviously unstable and had two personalities, even in SoulCalibur III, it just wasn't reflected in gameplay.

Tira not having split personality Jolly/Gloomy stances in SoulCalibur III was only a technical limitation. You can call it a "retcon", but it was always meant to be that way in the story. She was very obviously unstable and had two personalities, even in SoulCalibur III, it just wasn't reflected in gameplay.
Actually it wasn't until SCIV did the personalities actually split due to Soul Edge. Also, what about Yoshimitsu? I'm pretty sure he wasn't originally intended to have two swords.

Hmmmm, makes me wonder if other things have similar different traits. Like Races in CaS.
Probably not. It'd be way too complicated to implement and fighting games are about proving your skill using what your character. Adding traits for races would tamper with that.

Last edited:
If that was true about Tira, then explain why she has both jolly and gloomy personality in cutscenes and in battle? It doesn't change her moves, no, but it still affects her battle quotes. And her story written in New Legends of Project Soul paints her as emotionally unstable even before the Evil Seed incident broke up the Bird of Passage group. She's always had split personality, maybe for her entire life.

I'd give you the Yoshimitsu wakizashi argument if Yoshimitsu I didn't also get them in SoulCalibur IV. It was given a reason, too, to balance the madness the Yoshimitsu sword gives wielded on its own. But, again, the things you're listing are gameplay mechanics differences first and foremost, and they're using SoulCalibur IV-V as a base for that, so any updates to weapon styles are carryover from the latest incarnation of the style. That is not in and of itself a retcon, at least not in the way that affects the story. It's different, sure, but Yoshimitsu I using a wakizashi back in SoulCalibur I-II times doesn't fundamentally change his story as Raphael being a vampire prematurely would, that's the point that I'm making that you're missing. They're not changing those sorts of things, because if they were, they would be doing it on a bigger scale, and not limited to just a few folks.

The race-specific perks could apply only to Libra of Soul, much like Chronicles of the Sword characters had stats based on their job class that would grow at different rates, but this otherwise had no effect on the rest of the game. I don't expect it, but it could be a happy bonus.

Actually it wasn't until SCIV did the personalities actually split due to Soul Edge. Also, what about Yoshimitsu? I'm pretty sure he wasn't originally intended to have two swords.

Probably not. It'd be way too complicated to implement and fighting games are about proving your skill using what your character. Adding traits for races would tamper with that.
They said each character (not their style) has a trait that sets them apart from the base mechanics, which implies to me there might be a difference between the CaS version of the styles and the character's themselves. Which makes sense, as I found it kind strange CaS character's would do the weird stuff the character's do, like Kilik's uber state. If true then possibly Race could be what determines their trait for CaS.

Then again could be reading too much into this. Is possible online play will separate CaS styles and Character Styles. It would allow for character creation to be more unique and help eliminate the, "why make your own character, just play the premade one with the exact same style" argument, as they'd actually be different characters with different strengths and weaknesses. Cas already does some of this with the differences caused by altering size. This just does it to a greater extent.

So you're saying Raphael won't be a vampire "because timelines even though this is a reboot" even though Tira still has split personalities when the same thing could be said?

As someone said it earlier, he became malfested in SC4 timeline if i’m correct, SC6 talkes place in Pre SC1-SC1-SC2 (and maybe a bit of SC3), in SC2 and before this, Raphael wasnt malfested, and Hayate says so in his last video on Youtube, in 1583 he fights another noble if I remember.
For Tira, maybe they just wanted to add somethg to the character due to her popularity, a great improvement in her gameplay that only appeared in SC4 and SC5. SC6 is a bit strange regarding Timeline, in Soul chronicle we see events from SOULEDGE to SC2-SC3, with Talim’s quest, including characters that appeared in SC3 and SC4 is for some people not possible due to timeline (Amy, etc) but remember evthg is possible, they just need to bring all the characters that we like playing with.

They said each character (not their style) has a trait that sets them apart from the base mechanics, which implies to me there might be a difference between the CaS version of the styles and the character's themselves. Which makes sense, as I found it kind strange CaS character's would do the weird stuff the character's do, like Kilik's uber state. If true then possibly Race could be what determines their trait for CaS.

Then again could be reading too much into this. Is possible online play will separate CaS styles and Character Styles. It would allow for character creation to be more unique and help eliminate the, "why make your own character, just play the premade one with the exact same style" argument, as they'd actually be different characters with different strengths and weaknesses. Cas already does some of this with the differences caused by altering size. This just does it to a greater extent.
Again, doubt it. The CAS styles mimic the style of the character the player chooses, thus their traits.

As someone said it earlier, he became malfested in SC4 timeline if i’m correct, SC6 talkes place in Pre SC1-SC1-SC2 (and maybe a bit of SC3), in SC2 and before this, Raphael wasnt malfested, and Hayate says so in his last video on Youtube, in 1583 he fights another noble if I remember.
For Tira, maybe they just wanted to add somethg to the character due to her popularity, a great improvement in her gameplay that only appeared in SC4 and SC5. SC6 is a bit strange regarding Timeline, in Soul chronicle we see events from SOULEDGE to SC2-SC3, with Talim’s quest, including characters that appeared in SC3 and SC4 is for some people not possible due to timeline (Amy, etc) but remember evthg is possible, they just need to bring all the characters that we like playing with.
Again, this is a REBOOT. They can retcon things as needed.

Now can we PLEASE talk about actual traits?

This thread got derailed fast xD
Right because speculation about traits their meaning and how they might apply off the base roster is in anyway derailing from a topic titled "Soul Calibur 6 Character Traits Thread."

Rolls eyes. I see nothing derailing the supposed topic of the thread, as everything in here seems to be about character traits. Sorry that everyone's interest in the character traits is not the narrow definition YOU wish to discuss. If you want to talk about a topic in over specifivity rather than in general terms then you need a more specifically titled thread and not one so open and broadly titled.

You don't create a topic generally for and about character traits, then get pissy when people discuss things about character traits.

It’s not about traits, it’s people talking about STC lore about an old timeline. I wanted people to predict what kind of trades each individual character will have. So far only one person has done that and that’s what started this mess.

It’s not about traits, it’s people talking about STC lore about an old timeline. I wanted people to predict what kind of trades each individual character will have. So far only one person has done that and that’s what started this mess.
Which they were doing in context of Raphael and what traits he would and would not have. I believe one of the questions in the 1st post was what people predicted for future characters. Well determining that often involves multiple viewpoints and a discussion to determine what traits people think they would have and why. Whether it's Vamp or PreVamp Raph would make a difference to the traits they decide on, would it not?

Me personally I'm hoping for preVamp Raph, but that's cause Vampires irritate and bore me due to overexposure.

I can almost imagine Raphael inheriting a good part of Amy's aGIs from her moveset, as part of being able to parry as a fencer.

While I'm fairly certain Lizardman in this iteration won't be his flying lizard self from SCV, it would be cool if Soul Charge gave him his fire breath as chain extensions or LH punishes.

Back