Stance study

OK- so lemme get this straight-

RLC is a powerful stance, but it requires a few conditions to work properly.
At a distance, your only real friends are its natural TC and the aGI- so dashing in means that your opponent has to be scared and lock up, correct? (I've seen a lot of people whiff RLC B when they should've been closer...)

Up close or midrange, you react with RLC, and everything is based off of what the other opponent is doing, right?

RLC is best shifted to for oki, during successful hit transitions, sometimes blocked ones (?), near walls, and during gaps in an opponent's offense... correct?

What about MST? What would make you use it over RLC?

its a bit complicated to explain, stance is generally only good unexpected. MST mixups are very strong and RLC is decent defending and wakeup option, but its somewhat hard to set it up and you will take big risks in doing so. spending whole rounds in stance like KS requires opponents who are both impatient and have no idea how to counter it.

for example MST 6B is an option that leaves you with a lot of followups
if you just stop there and your opponent doesnt atack immediately, you can fish a CH with b6 or 3A for example
if your opp is trying to beat your 6~RLC, go for MST 6BB this is very risky (mst 6BB is very unsafe) but it just the way this game is. sometimes people may even miss a chance to punish (I wouldnt count on it) b/c they are intimidated. After MST 6~RLC there are a lot of options to go with. against overly agressive opponents RLC A interrupts nearly everything and will punish step, but I prefer backdash into RLC B it creates distance and creates very good situation on far block, making b6 a good CH fishing option. of course if its not far block you will get punished for RLC B, but RLC A is heavily punishable by most characters regardless of if you're going to shift into MST or not. Be extremely careful with RLC [A] near the edge, b/c some characters have TC back RO, that will punish you if you shift into MST. If your opponent is scared just enough or starts to step you (most people will step at a distance and just wait on close block) shift back into mst - most moves that counter relic transitions are high atacks, and shifting into mst solves both this and turtling problem. On wakeups RLC K and RLC A+B variations are a decent options, especially if you can guess correcty, at close range you can really poke with RLC K a lot even if your opp steps to the left or blocks you can still press on the advantage as RLC A+B+K or RLC A will beat out most of what they may try as a punishment. RLC A+B{1} (GB) is good against step and fast counters, RLC A+B{2} is good against anything else. the rest is highly situational.
However most of this is purely theoretical, in reality or in numbers RLC has direly high risk as opposed to reward so only way to make it favorable is to catch your opponents off guard, which is not, of course, going to happen if you use it a lot or in same situations. The risk of both stances depends on the characters you are fighting against. some characters can punish stance extrememly well, some can punish only one stance well, so you should keep an eye on this kind of things.
MST is generelly weak to SSR and TC moves, so if your opponents blocks transition move he will probably atack with something to beat this. check out what he does to counter transition and adapt accordingly. If you can go into mst in a broad daylight only do so at certain ranges, where you can reach opponent with mst throw. otherwise you'll get stepped and punished, also 6B+K transition is slow and can be interrupted with generic 2A if your opponents anticipate this. however if you can be unpredictable with MST your opponent wont be able to react in time and miss his opportunity to interrupt or step. so unpredictability is the key, too.
On wakeups. MST 6BB may hit both if your opponents sideroll incorrectly (left), to the right it will have no tracking at all, however on mid-far range mst K on grounded opp will hit all siderolls and give a large ground stun that allows uninterruptible 66A+B. the rest is up to you to guess what will opponent do. if he gets up just mix him up with MST 6B/MST KB, if he stays otg MST K into 66A+B_66A+B~G. use your imagination and try to be unpredictable with stance.

The problem with the Relic stance is that the opponent can crouch on both RLC K and RLC A (it's a special mid). RLC B is too slow and evident to beat that option. RLC A+B is a high and your opponent has quite some time to try a low kick or something before the RLC A+B2 comes. Still, RLC is a very good stance, but it's starting to get old and people aren't getting as fooled by it as they did, say, two months ago.

Overall, both RLC and MST stances have very unsafe moves, a rigorous Sophitia for example, who really knows Mitsu well, will kill both stances...

Belial >> You have to explain me that Mist K stuff stunning you on the ground...

if mst K hits opp otg 66A+B is uninterruptible afterwards and i'm almost sure not steppable too. there are no stun animation i refer to hitstun which is unexpectedly huge. especially if you consider that MST K on normal hit is -11.

Well...

Messing around with stance today (namely just combos that naturally leaves you in stance, say wall combos or CH combos) sometimes it worked pretty well, and I was able to knock off chunks of health without staying in stance very long. A RLC A here, a MST 6B/K there, you know...

So if I'm reading it right, the stances are pretty much a "sometime" thing, mostly situational?

What about people who tend to enter MST every knockdown/every other knockdown? That's not exactly "unpredictable"...

most mitsu wake up tools are flawed in one way or another, so you have to mix it up everytime. What you mix is up to situation. If your opp rolls to the right he can only be hit by MST K, if you do MST KB you'll end up at a disadvantage. So answer to such players is roll to the right. however if mitsu player can set up ongoing mindgame this might be very difficult for opponent to escape.
MST K (hits otg), 66A+B~G, 11K(hit)~RLC B+K~MST 6 (blocked)~RLC 44(backdash)B (far block) b6_b:A for example. pattern like this is pretty untrivial and intimidating. if you take advantage of differences in stances and mix em up your opponent wouldn't be able to react in time and become very afraid of stance game. from there he will either try to interrupt at a disadvantage or try to wait out.

I found nothing usable out of Mist K on grounded opponents. It only works against some of them, because of their "fear" of Mitsu's wake-up game, but it doesn't seem to give any advantage.
Although I like your idea of 66A+B G after it (and after FC1B like in your last videos).

Has anyone already worked out a chaining combo for

Now that I am rank 20 and have the achievement for that in the game I am settling down and getting into really learning the guts of the toons... it is no longer enough to win... you have to win with style...

Anyway to that end I would like to use the stances more often.... It just seams to me that most of the time I try to use the stance.. the act of getting into the stance itself takes time in witch I get hit.. or I do a stance/move and I am no longer in the stance.. so the other player dose not get to see the stance itself....

So I am thinking ... what is a good set of moves to chain MIST -> RELIC.... or w/e I think you no what I mean.. RELIC-RELIC and MIST -> MIST.... so you can do moves in these stances.. and chain them together.. so when the other player is on the ground and you patiently wait for them to stand up, as a good samurai would, they see your cool stance.

Like I said winning is not enough.. you gotta win in style.. I mean if they spam me I can always use Mitsu's spamming moves back at them.

So I am askign..

Q: What is teh fastest / safest way to get into either stance to begin with?
Q: What is a good combo to chain stances.. so afetr each move you are still in the stance.

Has anyone already worked out a chaining combo

4[a], 6[a], 11_77b[a]. there are others. the transition really isnt that slow to start with just using 6b+K, 4b+k

you could always not go for

mst , rlc [a], mst b and not do the second b then play stance rush down.

there is more, but im sure someone with mroe mitsu knowledge will post and give beter examples than me.

p.s i think rank matches are shit.

so its a congrats you made it to lvl 20 ... no extra equipment or whatever? if not screw that im not playing ranked just for a "congrats you are lvl 20 good job........."

Back