Step~G exposed

Well it looks like they're taking steps in the upcoming patch to prevent step-G cancels, so yeah they still want step to be a risk and anti-step attacks to be viable. This seems like a good thing. I don't really get why lobo and S-U want to make anti-step a redundant tool. From seeing S-U's whining about Guard Burst too, I guess he likes to just stand there blocking all day, tapping step-G on occasion, waiting for his opponent to do something unsafe/steppable and then punish it.

If you step, and someone does an anti-step, and you get CH, then the risk/reward game is functioning as intended. If you step and then block your opponent's anti-step, by inputting some option select that gives you a chance of whiff-punishment with no risk, there's a problem.

Exactly why I wrote my statement the way I wrote it with an emphasis on the first sentence. Place is still full of idiots and this is a perfect example. No worries I should have known better. I'll remember to keep things to myself next time.

Exactly why I wrote my statement the way I wrote it with an emphasis on the first sentence. Place is still full of idiots and this is a perfect example. No worries I should have known better. I'll remember to keep things to myself next time.

you should of known better noob!

while i do wish stepG was left intact, it is gone. i can accept that. what really bothered me is that it didn't really seem to effect gameplay with the exception of offering a few defensive option selects, while the backdash~g buff in sc5 butchered the game, and nobody seemed to care. i've been ceaselessly bitching about the backdash in our chatroom for weeks now.

my primary issue was that stepping has become so risky, while dashing out has become safer and more rewarding than ever. suddenly, working your way in and utilizing frame advantage and traps and defensive reads has become a far inferior play style than simply dashing in and out and fishing for a whiff to punish hard. this causes many high level matches to look like late version tekken matches...which is extremely boring to watch and play imo.

it came to a peak, for me, on the FR stream. i don't remember exactly who was playing- i think RTD and wing_zero- when i was groaning about how incredibly boring it was to watch because it looked exactly like tekken 6. i believe hates came to the same realization around the same time because, out of nowhere, he said something in his commentary to the effect of, "if you know what is going here, this is actually exciting". of course that is paraphrased, but it was the gist of his statement, which i translated to, "i know this is boring as fuck, but what they are doing is skillful. deal with it." with that admission, he pretty much mirrored attitude given by the top level tekken community as of the last couple installments, summed up my angst for this new direction in calibur.

that is why i hated sc5.

now that backdash~g (which was far, far, far, far, far more game breaking than QS4G could have ever come close to being) has been nerfed, i may disagree with the decision to get rid of stepG, but i can understand it. hopefully it was nerfed hard enough that committing to a decision to step and accepting the risk/reward for doing so will actually be a factor in gameplay instead of the universal "dashing out is better" approach which has thus far ruined sc5 for me.

i'll find out tomorrow, i guess. i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

as for now, rest in peace, tekken 7 SC5.

*edit* confirmed: cervy can block asta 44a and CH him out of a followup backdash with iGDR. :D

soul calibur is officially soul calibur again. it is time for this:

fyl66s.jpg

I've posted this in Aeon's SA but since so many knowledgeable players are in this thread, let me ask this:
Since 4_44~[G] is so lame now, has any of you experimented with 4_44,A_B_K~[G]? It looks like a nice (probably faster) option to cancel backstep/backdash into block.

i have changed my mind. i sure do wish they put step-g back into the game.

I've posted this in Aeon's SA but since so many knowledgeable players are in this thread, let me ask this:
Since 4_44~[G] is so lame now, has any of you experimented with 4_44,A_B_K~[G]? It looks like a nice (probably faster) option to cancel backstep/backdash into block.
where is this coming from? It has the same nerf/block ban as step.

What do you mean? I'm a bit confused, sorry :). It is possible to cancel backdash/backstep into generic A_B_K move/series. For me cancelling this attack into a block seems faster than the regular backdash/backstep cancel into block and I'm asking whether or not it's true.

In a field there is a nice way to block much faster, ppl will eventually find this out.
But after recovery it's pointless, 20 frames no matter what.

but if you do a~g you at least wont get CH haha;DD

What do you mean? I'm a bit confused, sorry :). It is possible to cancel backdash/backstep into generic A_B_K move/series. For me cancelling this attack into a block seems faster than the regular backdash/backstep cancel into block and I'm asking whether or not it's true.
No, you cant. If you cancel backdash with A_B_K and then with block it produces a HUGE animation of A_B_K, and only then cancels it. You can do it later, so it looks like "old-style cnacel", but that will only result in longer vulnerability

In a field there is a nice way to block much faster, ppl will eventually find this out.
But after recovery it's pointless, 20 frames no matter what.

but if you do a~g you at least wont get CH haha;DD
How do you test this "in field", judging by the eye. lol.
(Im assuming cheese means stull like 442_8_6G etc which dont work at all)

belial, there are a few answers to your previous question.

1. someone who does much for this community and felt that this was the appropriate place to voice his opinion.
2. someone who, while acknowledging your skills as a player, has no respect for people who use words like "faggot", especially in their public signatures.
3. someone who can and will edit or flat out delete your unprovoked and childish flaming drivel.
4. someone who, in spite of not even playing the character, has a mitsurugi AI clone in SC5 quickplay that is far, far better than your own. :P
5. someone who is now closing your garbage ass thread.

have a good day.

Back