Super Smash Bros Wii U/Nintendo 3DS

tumblr_n6zkgkTLv01rn4zmco1_400.png
tumblr_n6zkgkTLv01rn4zmco2_400.png
tumblr_n6zkgkTLv01rn4zmco3_400.png
tumblr_n6zkgkTLv01rn4zmco4_400.png

Customizable Mii's are now playable! Eat your heart out, Soul Calibur!!! Introducing Mii Brawler, Mii Sword Fighter, and Mii Gunner!!! Each can choose 4 special moves from 12 options!

Played Smash today at best buy. Games feels a little tighter, and with Pit at least, a lot less floaty. Overall speed seems a touch slower than Brawl, and attacks feel a lot more weighty and more impact full. Pit has no dark pit alternate color, and on a whole, his specials have some major redesigned elements to them. His side special is pretty beefy and a bit slow, but can control the distance by holding the direction and button. Arrows draw faster, did not check to see if you could control angle or trajectory. Down special whips out two shields, very fast, lots of range on the shields (think old side B range) and push back is pretty nice, but not extraordinary. Pit's up special is really odd and may take some time to get used to. It works similar to Zelda's teleport, you press up and then you have to press a different direction otherwise you'll just keep going up. It's basically a suped version of his old glide.

I also got a brief chance to try mega man, his leaf shield is really good as his his side special crash bomb. His basic attacks, however, feel really weak. Basic A attack is his basic shots... 3 bullets at a time. Every other A attack move is a special attack from the Robot Masters.

Hey guys, I was playing Brawl today and the feeling of Brawl made me remember a few additional details I noticed when I was playing Smash 4 at Best Buy yesterday, so I want to post them here.

Rapid-fire attacks, ie. Lightning Kicks-style attacks, now have a finishing move added to them and could no longer be continued indefinitely (at least Pit's). Speaking of Pit's A-mashable, it has a brand new graphic animation, it looks really nice.

The game is definitely less floaty than Brawl, at least Pit is. Movement feels more pointed and tighter. It seems to take less effort to pivot or about face.

Smash attacks and Tilts are still easy to confuse on a controller. A full-charged smash attack from Pit seems to take less time in 4 than in Brawl.

Pit's arrows are smaller in 4 than in Brawl. There's a new animation effect in 4 where Pit pulls the bow string (similar to Link) the longer the button is held.

It seemed a little easier to combo basic strings together. Opponents didn't fall out of simple AAA attacks quite so easily as they did in Brawl.

GameXplain released a feature analysis on Palutena's fighting style and speculation on what her default move set could be. Their mentions on the directions for each special line up exactly with mine, but I disagree with their default special speculation.

Also, the more I think about it, the more I feel that Auto-Recticle could be a neutral special and that it might be possible to aim it like Zelda's Din's Fire.

Anyway for my defaults I would say:
Neutral: Explosive Flame
Up: Rocket Jump
Down: Reflect Barrier
Side: Super Speed

Meanwhile Celestial Fireworks could fit on Down Special due to its vertical range.

Agree? Disagree?

Okay, after looking through the limited Palutena footage again and taking a frame by frame analysis, I definitely missed something.

When Palutena activates Lightweight, she doesn't have her halo. Every special, and every smash shows her activating her halo when using a special attack. This leads me to believe then, that Lightweight may not actually be a side-special ability, but a buff similar to the Wii Fit Trainer's Deep Breathing special - activated by down-B. So with that understanding, Lightweight is probably a similar case; a buff on down-B, rather than a side-B special attack.

This basically means that Celestial Fireworks can't be a down-special. Both Counter and Reflect are defensive moves which traditionally find themselves on down-specials. Fox, Falco, Marth, Ike, Pit and others all had a defensive move on their down-special. The one exception (that I can remember) is Mario with his cape being a side special. However, I think that Mario is the only historic exception given he was the first character to really have a defensive option.

So where does that put Celestial Fireworks on the special list? Traditionally, projectiles are usually neutral specials with very rare exceptions (secondary projectiles, like Samus' Missiles, or Link's Boomerang) being a side-special. This means that at least one of Palutena's projectiles has to be a side-special, but I don't think its Celestial Fireworks. I think that Celestial Fireworks is a neutral special and that Auto-Recticle may actually be the side special. Partially because I think its main function is similar to Zelda's Din's Fire, another side-special. Auto-Recticle likely operates the same way as Din's Fire; meaning that its guided by the player and eventually detonated by the player or after a set time, just as I said in my last post.

So with that said, I still think my default move list is correct, but I now think that Auto-Recticle is a side-special and lightweight is a down-special buff type move.

Have people listed thier mains yet? I've always mained DK and i aint stoppin now. Im also gonna try and keep a couple of secondaries. Probably pacman and link... Maybe bowser.... Not sure yet.

Last edited:
New character reveal coming Monday at 7am. Tune in and start your predictions now! I'm guessing Dark Pit, but I'm pretty sure I will be wrong.

New character reveal coming Monday at 7am. Tune in and start your predictions now! I'm guessing Dark Pit, but I'm pretty sure I will be wrong.
If he's dedicating a whole individual stream for just one character, it's gotta be something important, something BIG...

Back