Talim Matchup Strategy Guide - pt1 (Mina/Amy/Voldo/Mitsu)

It seems like astaroth is impossible to get close too, at least online, How would I approach him if the astaroth is using non linear and non duckable moves?

optymuss - Well, I didn't do 3BA because Talim has no character specific ways to beat it. She handles that the same way everyone else does (well except Kilik). You can GI the low. You can just crouch; wait for the low to come out and react with a 2K if it doesn't. Or you can 9K the low. 9B doesn't work it's too slow.

You shouldn't be waiting and blocking so much vs Amy to begin with, she'll kill you before she CFs you.

Poor Luff? The guide's still unfinished so he's bound to find more stuff he can use.

Edit: Well I guess since people are wanting Astaroth stuff I can make him the 4th char instead of Mitsurugi.

optymuss - Well, I didn't do 3BA because Talim has no character specific ways to beat it. She handles that the same way everyone else does (well except Kilik). You can GI the low. You can just crouch; wait for the low to come out and react with a 2K if it doesn't. Or you can 9K the low. 9B doesn't work it's too slow.

You shouldn't be waiting and blocking so much vs Amy to begin with, she'll kill you before she CFs you.

Poor Luff? The guide's still unfinished so he's bound to find more stuff he can use.

Edit: Well I guess since people are wanting Astaroth stuff I can make him the 4th char instead of Mitsurugi.

Yea! :D I really just wanna see what he's gonna say for Ivy. She's my hardest matchup. You are gonna do Ivy sometime right?

Haven't been paying this thread enough attention lately. Something I forgot about in the Mina matchup.

BT B combo is stupidly hard to land on her cause of her small hitbox. There are different timings for releasing the A in 3B{A} for different sized characters and hers is difficult.

I want to do Ivy, but I honestly don't think there's too much to say. You mostly have to beat the Ivy player than Ivy herself. Namco made the matchup that bad.

Haven't been paying this thread enough attention lately. Something I forgot about in the Mina matchup.

BT B combo is stupidly hard to land on her cause of her small hitbox. There are different timings for releasing the A in 3B{A} for different sized characters and hers is difficult.

I want to do Ivy, but I honestly don't think there's too much to say. You mostly have to beat the Ivy player than Ivy herself. Namco made the matchup that bad.
For Ivy, let's just say get in and stay in.

I was thinking more along the lines of get in and pray... She only needs SW 3B and SW 6a to force you back out. Oh well.

Anyway, should have Voldo done tonight.

Talim vs astaroth gogogo

224px-Height_Comparison.jpg

Talim actually has some decent combo oppourtunity vs asta, what with

4B+K A 3BB 6 B+K 6 A+B being able to connect and what not.

Sup guys, long time no post. Anyways, as you can see I haven't been able to make much progress in this guide. Some of it is because I was busy, but also, I've recently come to the realization that matchups don't matter in this game. All the essentials about matchups can be found in their respective Soul Arenas, but ultimately, the strength of your defense, is all dependent on how well you can defend/guess/read throw attempts.

I've realized that while I may be an established "good player", until I can either 1. magically scare people into giving up throws by ducking and punishing them... or 2. become, (as the FG community says) "godlike" at breaking them more than 50% of the time, I'll continue to be the easiest "good player" to beat in this game. It's simply too easy to destroy momentum with them and you need momentum to win. It's not any specific player that I have a problem with, it's just the idea that no matter how good I am or how much I learn, I can lose at anytime to anyone on a bad throw guessing day.

So what I'll do is, I'll keep the thread open for discussion purposes, but I'll likely cease any contributions to the overall guide. I'll answer questions and all that still, if there even are anymore. But yeah, that's about it for my rant.

Doesn't sound like a rant.

You have done a lot and helped many, you've given us someone to look up to and try to become.
And I'm sure we all thank you for that.

Sounds like you gotta prac throw breaks, duckin and punishin.

You can always get better.

I know I shouldn't talk as you're better than I ever will be but keep at it, and throw those dudes and give em a taste of their own medicine.

Don't give up- if there's one thing us Talim playas learn it's this.

ZeroEffect- I completely agree with you about the game play. I began with Soul Caliber 3, and played more hours then I slept or worked and That was a game that people who didn't know what they were doing couldn't just dominate you. The balance between offense and defense was balanced and usable.

I made an account just to reply to you, and I say all this to say, picking up SC4 again made me realize it's not the game it should be. Attacks are easily executed while defense moves seem to fall pray to attacks faster. The computer is much more volatile and explosive. On "Tower of Souls" I can play one floor, like Floor 32, with Zasalamel as the Boss, and Ivy is the first fight, (Ascending). One time I played and Ivy was uber easy to beat, the next time I got two hits on her and she knocked me out, and flung me out of the ring before I knew what happened. No chance for recovery or counter or anything. The preciousness of being able to attack people on the ground or bounce them off of it was lost in SC4. Now people can just attack until there blue in the face.

I noticed I attack more too, and block less because the game play is lopsided and is heavily dependent on counters now. It's just easier too win, TOO easy. I know a cache of moves but by the time I've used four of them and a combo the persons dead. Where as SC3 I actually had to know how to use my character in every respect.

I think Talim is stronger in SC4, and her range and improvements aren't all too bad. but it's to no avail . Anyways, thanks for the rant man, glad to see I'm not alone. And please keep trying to help, it'd be nice to know I can get it from someone with a brain :D

@WeaponMaster - hey man, welcome to 8WR. When I made that rant about the gameplay, I was just talking about throws being really strong in the game. I'm not concerned about the constant offense, because if you're opponent is simply attacking all the time, there are ways to beat it. One of the things about SC4 that I liked, was that no matter how bad you were getting beat, you always had a chance to make a comeback using strong defense.

What I was talking about is the 50/50 throw guessing.

What do you do when people are trying to run up on you and bully you with offense? You use a quick attack to stop them from moving, or you move around their attacks defensively. Talim in particular has really short range. So where normal characters can BB or 2A there way out of throw range, Talim can't. (When I play Sophitia or Lizard man, for example I rarely get thrown at all. Because their range of attacks are enough to keep people from getting that close to me. ) If I played someone and guessed correct on throws more than half the time, I usually won that match. But if I didn't guess right on throws, even if I was the better player at the time I usually lost.

Anyway, SC4's tournament days are all but finished now with SC5 coming out in a few weeks, so there won't be anymore writeups about Talim for this game. If she's in the next game, I'll be playing her in that one.

There have been matches where I've broken every throw attempt, but it's still just a guess. There's not any skill to it, just pressing either A or B. I'm sure Kura gets thrown too, just maybe not in the specific matches he puts out on video.

Back