Tech Traps

Yeah, Tiamat's right. You can't tech from Nighty's A+G throw, but for some reason, if I tech left, it becomes a side throw.

You contradicted yourself. You can only stand straight up or roll on the ground. Standing straight up results in side throw against most characters.

Okay, what's a lau throw? I've seen that term i several places, but I have no clue what it is.

Yeah, I figured that out now, Tiamat.

I randomly got someone with a 3B > (tech) 4B. Does this actually work? Or was the random person I was playing against tech without guarding (if that's even possible)? It's most likely techable to either side, and inferior to 3B > (tech) 1A, but 4B gets you style points.

I randomly got someone with a 3B > (tech) 4B. Does this actually work? Or was the random person I was playing against tech without guarding (if that's even possible)? It's most likely techable to either side, and inferior to 3B > (tech) 1A, but 4B gets you style points.

4B doesnt tech off of 3B but 44B does( can be rolled either way though). If you hit with the 44B you can get guaranteed GS kicks off of it or a tech trap stance A to the bA just slide. More damage than 1A and gives best options ( I think). Only time 4B techs is after 66A and it hits guaranteed.

Or was the random person I was playing against tech without guarding (if that's even possible)?

I've had this happen to me once, computer would tech and I would be all excited about seeing a new techtrap but was disappointed once I found out the AI was just being dumb :(

Okay, what's a lau throw? I've seen that term i several places, but I have no clue what it is.

Yeah, I figured that out now, Tiamat.

"LAU throw" is when after landing A+G you just start spamming grabs. If they stand up immediately (and don't crouch) they will get side grabbed. If they roll to the side and your throw whiffs over their body, you just throw again and possibly catch them as they are getting up from their side roll. It looks silly but it works pretty well. Once you've got them worrying about the LAU throws it opens up potential for other things.

That sounds fun. I'm gonna try it out.

Out of curiosity, why is it called a LAU throw?
Cause Lau discovered that A+G gives NM +22 frames of utter madness on wakeup. He invented the tactic of spamming grabs on wakeup. NM's side throws also give him a heck of a lot of frame advantage from wake up as well so Lau throws work on those side grabs too. Lau throws dont really work with other characters due to their shorter grab range.

Edit: I didnt know GS KK was guaranteed off 44B[ B]?

Cause Lau discovered that A+G gives NM +22 frames of utter madness on wakeup. He invented the tactic of spamming grabs on wakeup. NM's side throws also give him a heck of a lot of frame advantage from wake up as well so Lau throws work on those side grabs too. Lau throws dont really work with other characters due to their shorter grab range.

Edit: I didnt know GS KK was guaranteed off 44B[ B]?

Yeah if the second hit of 44B is a ground hit it is a tech trap 236 GS KK, and if they stay down it's a ground hit GS KK. There's no avoiding it. Really the best thing to do is tech if your heading towards a wall because the ground hit GS KK gives Nightmare a 2A+B (or maybe punches) after the wall hit. If you tech he doesn't get any extra in.

Yeah if the second hit of 44B is a ground hit it is a tech trap 236 GS KK, and if they stay down it's a ground hit GS KK. There's no avoiding it. Really the best thing to do is tech if your heading towards a wall because the ground hit GS KK gives Nightmare a 2A+B (or maybe punches) after the wall hit. If you tech he doesn't get any extra in.

The only problem with that is that NSS [A], NSS bA or NSS K can both lead back into a wall splat and will have the combo scaling reset as a result.

The only problem with that is that NSS [A], NSS bA or NSS K can both lead back into a wall splat and will have the combo scaling reset as a result.

I usually go with 44B->NSS [A]-> NSS bA when I do catch people with it ( and a 2A+B if they hit the wall). The GS KK is the option for RO (which I don't do) and kind of better since you hit regardless of teching. I mostly use NSS [A]-> NSS bA because it looks cooler... There's also the 44B tech to WR -> NSS bA if you know they won't tech into NSS [A] and want to not ring them out with GS KK.

Edit: Didn't read too well... Yeah that is kind of a problem. Its a 50/50 gamble in that case. I would probably tech if I was at a range far enough from NSS K since its less likely they can do the ranged NSS bA just on command instead of 236 GS KK. I'd just try not to get hit by 44B lol

I've noticed people are having troubles with the brackets causing bold text. For now lets make it a habit to do

WS (B) and such with parenthesis instead of brackets to avoid this problem

Yes, for the love of grammar, let's stop accidentally making things bold. Post :4::4::B::(B):, GS KK is a tech trap only in certain directions, but I believe it's guaranteed if they don't tech, so you can use it as an anti-tech trap in tandem with NSS :(A):. That's the real 50/50

Yes, for the love of grammar, let's stop accidentally making things bold. Post :4::4::B::(B):, GS KK is a tech trap only in certain directions, but I believe it's guaranteed if they don't tech, so you can use it as an anti-tech trap in tandem with NSS :(A):. That's the real 50/50

Checked it and yeah, your right. Hits all but right ukemi and the NSS A would catch that... So a little gambling yeah.

Back