• No

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Mighty Omega smells

Votes: 15 93.8%

• Total voters

Alex.J

[14] Master
The "male gaze" in feminist theory
In her 1975 essay "Visual Pleasure and Narrative Cinema", Laura Mulvey introduced the second-wave feminist concept of "male gaze" as a feature of gender power asymmetry in film. The concept was present in earlier studies of the gaze, but it was Mulvey who brought it to the forefront. Mulvey stated that women were objectified in film because heterosexual men were in control of the camera. Hollywood films played to the models of voyeurism and scopophilia.[6] The concept has subsequently been influential in feminist film theory and media studies.[citation needed]

The male gaze[7] occurs when the camera puts the audience into the perspective of a heterosexual man. It may linger over the curves of a woman's body, for instance.[8] The woman is usually displayed on two different levels: as an erotic object for both the characters within the film, as well as for the spectator who is watching the film. The man emerges as the dominant power within the created film fantasy. The woman is passive to the active gaze from the man. This adds an element of 'patriarchal' order and it is often seen in "illusionistic narrative film".[9] Mulvey argues that, in mainstream cinema, the male gaze typically takes precedence over the female gaze, reflecting an underlying power asymmetry.[citation needed]

This inequality can be attributed to patriarchy which has been defined as a social ideology embedded in the belief systems of Western culture and in patriarchal societies. It is either masculine individuals or institutions created by these individuals that exert the power to determine what is considered “natural”.[10] Over the course of time, these constructed beliefs begin to seem ‘”natural” or “normal” because they are prevalent and carry out unchallenged, thus arguing that Western culture has adopted a dyadic, hierarchical ideology which sets masculinity in binary opposition to femininity thus creating levels of inferiority.[10]

Mulvey's essay also states that the female gaze is the same as the male gaze. This means that women look at themselves through the eyes of men.[11] The male gaze may be seen by a feminist either as a manifestation of unequal power between gazer and gazed, or as a conscious or subconscious attempt to develop that inequality. From this perspective, a woman who welcomes an objectifying gaze may be simply conforming to norms established to benefit men, thereby reinforcing the power of the gaze to reduce a recipient to an object. Welcoming such objectification may be viewed as akin to exhibitionism.[citation needed]

The possibility of an analogous female gaze[12][13][14][15] may arise from considering the male gaze. Mulvey argues that "the male figure cannot bear the burden of sexual objectification. Man is reluctant to gaze…" Describing Wide Sargasso Sea (1966), by Jean Rhys, Nalini Paul indicates that the Antoinette character gazes at Rochester, placing a garland upon him, making him appear heroic: "Rochester does not feel comfortable with having this role enforced upon him; thus, he rejects it by removing the garland, and crushing the flowers."[citation needed]

From the male perspective, a man possesses the gaze because he is a man, whereas a woman has the gaze only when she assumes the male gazer role — when she objectifies others by gazing at them like a man. Eva-Maria Jacobsson supports Paul's description of the "female gaze" as "a mere cross-identification with masculinity", yet evidence of women's objectification of men — the discrete existence of a female gaze — can be found in the "boy toy" ads published in teen magazines, for example, despite Mulvey's contention that the gaze is property of one gender. Whether or not this is an example of female gaze or rather an internalized male gaze is up for debate, along with the other ideas on this subject. In terms of power relationships, the gazer can direct a gaze upon members of the same gender for asexual reasons, such as comparing the gazer's body image and clothing to those of the gazed-at individual.[citation needed]

With respect to Laura Mulvey's essay, note the following points stressed by Mulvey in a 2011 interview with Roberta Sassatelli: "First, that the 1975 article ‘Visual Pleasure and Narrative Cinema’ was written as a polemic, and as Mandy Merck has described it, as a manifesto; so I had no interest in modifying the argument. Clearly I think, in retrospect from a more nuanced perspective, about the inescapability of the male gaze."[16]

Given that one can't really tell if a man or a woman wrote something, I have trouble believing that this is actually a valid issue worth considering.

I've never watched a movie, and thought "Oh yeah, clearly a woman directed this."

Given that one can't really tell if a man or a woman wrote something, I have trouble believing that this is actually a valid issue worth considering.

I've never watched a movie, and thought "Oh yeah, clearly a woman directed this."

Expected from someone who fully embraces the patriarchy.

I actually think this is an interesting topic and would like to engage in this. Pls tell me your personal thoughts on this topic.

I actually think this is an interesting topic and would like to engage in this. Pls tell me your personal thoughts on this topic.

Theories like this lack vision and scope. Female Gaze also exists and there are many movies where women strip dudes with their eyes and view them as eye candy. But when put in perspective of both sexes, it lacks any sense of urgency. Putting the perspective of a male or female to direct a narrative is normal and shouldn't be considered a problem. Once someone pops out of the womb, they are either female or male. To identify with what you were born as, is only natural.

Explain to me why men having sexuality is a bad thing , feminists.

It's actually an interesting double standard. Women don't want to be told what they should be attracted to. A lot of feminists also like to say they support things like gay rights and gay sexuality. But at the same time, they relentlessly attack male sexuality. They get mad when we are attracted to big boobs and butts. They get mad when we are attracted to women in shape. It's not their place to tell me what I'm attracted to.

It's actually an interesting double standard. Women don't want to be told what they should be attracted to. A lot of feminists also like to say they support things like gay rights and gay sexuality. But at the same time, they relentlessly attack male sexuality. They get mad when we are attracted to big boobs and butts. They get mad when we are attracted to women in shape. It's not their place to tell me what I'm attracted to.
Dont you dare say you wont sleep with fatgirls you male pig

Dont you dare say you wont sleep with fatgirls you male pig

I used to always mention how there are tons of propaganda celebrating fat women and how we should accept them. Then pointing out that the media never does the same for fat guys. The general response I would get is that women have obesity worse somehow and worse social pressures. Another odd thing is how we demonize anorexics but not obese people. To me, they are the same disease at opposite spectrum. Both are a dangerous, and both should be taken seriously.

I used to always mention how there are tons of propaganda celebrating fat women and how we should accept them. Then pointing out that the media never does the same for fat guys. The general response I would get is that women have obesity worse somehow and worse social pressures. Another odd thing is how we demonize anorexics but not obese people. To me, they are the same disease at opposite spectrum. Both are a dangerous, and both should be taken seriously.
I agree %100, the only difference between anorexia and being fat is feminists are fat. therefore fat is protected class.
also you have to work hard to be skinny so thats bad because it shows personal responsibility which is poison to feminazis

I agree %100, the only difference between anorexia and being fat is feminists are fat. therefore fat is protected class.
also you have to work hard to be skinny so thats bad because it shows personal responsibility which is poison to feminazis

I was honestly hoping there would be an intellectual conversation here, but never mind...

I was honestly hoping there would be an intellectual conversation here, but never mind...

And you found nothing I said to be intellectual? Other than judging? You have submitted or said nothing. Don't be a hater.

And you found nothing I said to be intellectual? Other than judging? You have submitted or said nothing. Don't be a hater.

If I had something to say about you, I would have quoted you. I was actually gonna reply to what you said but never mind. I ran out of time.

This is an intellectual converstion. It doesn't seem that way to you because your tiny plebeian brain can't comprehend the amount of wealth and knowledge that these master minds are speaking of. Stop being ignorant.

Shut the hell up. Every time I post u always gotta say some shit to me instead of ignore me like any other normal person on here. God damn leave me alone.

yes so instead of debating my point you insult me. YOU ARE SO INTELLECTUAL WHAT AN AMAZING INTELLECTUAL MIND YOU HAVE.

Nice try JIDF shill

Back