The AMAZING SC4 Online General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
is it even possible to have technically no lag or are we forever cursed to deal with the 1-2 second delay. I don't have too much of a problem dealing with spammers and repetitive moves cause hell, just impact or guard 1 second sooner!
Mostly wondering if there is some way to tweek bandwidth performance to optimize online play specifically (probably better off hosting then)

is it even possible to have technically no lag or are we forever cursed to deal with the 1-2 second delay. I don't have too much of a problem dealing with spammers and repetitive moves cause hell, just impact or guard 1 second sooner!
Mostly wondering if there is some way to tweek bandwidth performance to optimize online play specifically (probably better off hosting then)

Go straight through your modem... No wireless... Nothing else in the house on like computers and such if they are on the same connection... Play with people near you... Reset your modem from time to time... Pray....

Thats bout it...

There will always be some degree of lag playing online, if I remember correctly the minimum lag was about 5 frames. That's in perfect conditions, you're probably looking at around 10ish frames of lag on average online.

And welcome to 8WR!

Thanks! I've been in love with Calibur from the beginning of Blade. Hard-lining your modem to the system would be best I suppose but I always get the same amount of horrible lag, not to mention about 99% of the people I play against are people who have the increased hor/vir along with appeal (so they wait for me to choose) and I get my but kicked way too many times. Try my damndest to compensate for the near 2 second lag which works often but is met with varied spammed moves and can't really get in any good combos and such.
Playing like this though would you consider to improve or degrade your actual abilities to play seeming how most online tactic is spam and grab and crap

Playing like this though would you consider to improve or degrade your actual abilities to play seeming how most online tactic is spam and grab and crap

This is only my opinion:

It really depends on the type of gamer you are. If your just a casual gamer and play to have a good time. Then online play is not a bad thing.

But when you get to the nitty gritty of things. At high level tourny play, 10 frames is a shit load. It can lose a match easily for you. Most of the high level players on here DONT PLAY ONLINE for that simple reason. It can really fuck up your whole game with such minimul lag. You will not learn yourself properly.

Playing them game offline is the prefered choice of high level gamers everywhere. But if your like me, who's offline community is almost nin-existant, then you dont have a whole lot of choice. Online and offline versions of this game are simular in play but overall pretty different

HRD

completely understandable. I can't help but to dominate anyone I play against IRL but I lose most of my matches online due to insane lag times and compensating for that near 2 second lag for every move and combo you try to make is absurd. I suppose I could continue to play online for the sheer enjoyment of being able to play with other people but I don't see how or why they can't update the system to have nearly no lag. I mean COD and BF:BC and every other game can hold 8, 16, 30 + people with no visible lag so how the hell is it so much more difficult to relay data between two consoles than 30 in caliburs case?

if you are having that much lag time then you need to play different people. 5bars are ideal for best possible connection. If you have that much lag (im assuming your exaggerating a little) then I wouldnt play anyone with a 4 bar or less.

Me personally i dont play anyone that has a 3 bar or less. Even if he pops in my room and it fluxuates from 4 to 3 periodically. Then I know already that match will be shit. Oddly enough some 5bars lag worse than 3bars for some odd reason. I stick to 4bars or better.

I live in san diego, if you are anywhere near the west coast and wanna get some games in xbl, Id be happy to show you some stuff. my gamer tag is in my signature. But set a higher standard for your online play......4bars or better only. When you get into the match, hit the guard button a bunch of times to see if there is any input lag. You should have a SEEMINGLY instant guard.

HRD

completely understandable. I can't help but to dominate anyone I play against IRL but I lose most of my matches online due to insane lag times and compensating for that near 2 second lag for every move and combo you try to make is absurd. I suppose I could continue to play online for the sheer enjoyment of being able to play with other people but I don't see how or why they can't update the system to have nearly no lag. I mean COD and BF:BC and every other game can hold 8, 16, 30 + people with no visible lag so how the hell is it so much more difficult to relay data between two consoles than 30 in caliburs case?

A fps and a fighting game are entirely different beasts. In a fps game, the only real unpredictable event is when someone fires their gun, the movements of your opponent are generally very predictable (if you know their position and velocity, you can predict almost perfectly where they will be in the near future as players are not moving erratically). So both you and your computer/console can predict where they will be in the near future and you can compensate your aim accordingly and it can draw them at the predicted location. And most of the time, what the other 30+ players are doing doesn't matter until one of you can see each other or not.

Fighting games are much more unpredictable, if we are standing idle I can initiate 50+ moves/movements, and the exact timings matter a lot more.

Defense is also a lot more active in a fighter. In a fps game, if you point your insta-hit sniper rifle at me and hit fire, there is no chance of me dodging/reacting to that, I'm going to get hit no matter what. In a fighting game, all moves have a delay between when they initiate and when they hit, giving me a chance to do block/interrupt/step/etc and do something about it.

Combos could be made to work the same online as offline though. Once you've hit your opponent and they are no longer able to do anything, you could switch to having the game run as if in offline mode on the console of the player initiating the combo and then switch back to synchronizing after you do something that is no longer guaranteed to hit.

You are also way more at the mercy of your opponent's connection in a 1v1 game, if a couple players in a 30+ player game are laggy, you likely won't even notice.

A 2 second lag time is highly unusual, either there is something wrong with your connection or you are trying to play people way too far away.

it might not quite be 2 but its ridiculous, I dont know the exact framework lag but its enough to completely mess up any years of experience I have.
after testing the time its about .6 to 1.3 second of lag between the guard button and guard action on different fights.

i guess its absolute and there is no way of getting around it, youd expect it to be avoidable with all our advancing technology
which reminds me the WATSON AI is gonna be on jeopardy against ken jennings and another dude in 30 mins! history in the making

well my best connection with one of my friends was 12 msec (its really awesome don't hope to have something similar), and 4 bar is around 60-100 msec (this is quite bad for a 4 bar there are worse but its difficult).

Now assume that netcode require this number to be multiplyed by 3 .....

Its quite hard to get 1 second lag its mostly around 50-300 msec. i.e from 3 to 18 frames :/

Note that there are a lot of things that can make your latence worse like bad settings on the router or connecting through your PC or many more....
Even between the consoles there is a HUGE difference....PSN lags a lot more.

But first thing to watch is geographic latence: geographic distance= LAG , crossing sea/ocean= HUGE LAG

Since I've wired my PS3 I get 5 Bars all over. I've started only playing on 4 Bars unless its friends or I'm bored and really want a match.

NDK the sad part is now that I don't have a PS3 I take care of a lot more things that I should have been doing before. I get up earlier because I don't stay up all night playing SC4 online. I clean my place more often, work out, cook food (real food, not just getting a bowl of cereal or eating an entire bag of potato chips lol). The only time I get to play SC4 is when you come down or when I go visit my family which I do more often because I can play my brother's 360 when I'm over there. So it's actually BETTER that I don't have a PS3. Once I learn some self control, I'll buy myself another.

So NDK you meet any other good players online? Last time I was online on PS3 I remember getting in some hate mail war with scroogeme...whatever his name is. I fought him 3 times, lost the first game won the next 2 and then left because I was getting annoyed with the way he was fighting. He messages me all this crap....wait a minute, this is the good games thread huh? Never mind, lol. GGs to ..... fuck I forget all the folks I played last Saturday on 360. Oh well.

Work, sc4, sleep...that's how I roll! But I actually met a decent NM player that lives in Napa, he didn't seem too interested in offline
though

@darkfender, please stop with the PSN lags so much more than XBL, that's ridiculous

I say we just ban Darkfender; he's constantly off topic, and adds 0 useful content towards 8wayrun.com. Plus, he uses Raphael, and all Raphael's have a knack for being unstable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back