The fundamentals

Alghoul

[08] Mercenary
Lately I've been fighting quite a few people that will blindly step Algol or not adapt, and those types of people are really irritating me. I could antistep them a dozen times and they'll still do it. I could QI B someone 5 times and they'll still duck low, ruining any chances of a mind game against them. Then there are also overly-defensive people, people that don't fall for my tricks because they're willing to stand there for an hour and a half until they get something they can punish.

For the steppers, I've taken to using more fundamentals like BB, AA, 2A, and 3K which I'm not used to doing, but I'm slowly getting the hang of using them more effectively with Algol (His BB is monsterous, but his AA is like tiny T-Rex arms). However, on many occasions, it fails. If I try to go for high damage or pressure strings, they'll try to step out of it for whatever reason. Any tips for beating these people?

Lately I've been fighting quite a few people that will blindly step Algol or not adapt, and those types of people are really irritating me. I could antistep them a dozen times and they'll still do it. I could QI B someone 5 times and they'll still duck low, ruining any chances of a mind game against them. Then there are also overly-defensive people, people that don't fall for my tricks because they're willing to stand there for an hour and a half until they get something they can punish.

For the steppers, I've taken to using more fundamentals like BB, AA, 2A, and 3K which I'm not used to doing, but I'm slowly getting the hang of using them more effectively with Algol (His BB is monsterous, but his AA is like tiny T-Rex arms). However, on many occasions, it fails. If I try to go for high damage or pressure strings, they'll try to step out of it for whatever reason. Any tips for beating these people?

have you ever heard of grabs?

Have you ever tried running up and grabbing a skilled opponent? I don't use grabs very often as there is only a 1/3 chance of it landing.

They do, I was exaggerating slightly, they're just overly defensive on many occasions, or I'm overly aggressive. Either which they don't let go of block until I screw up or they see a definite opening, which is irritating for me as I'm not entirely used to it. Usually people will fall for almost all of Algol's tricks, when they just stand there and I'm 2Aing like a dumbass thinking they're going to let go of block.

Have you ever tried running up and grabbing a skilled opponent? I don't use grabs very often as there is only a 1/3 chance of it landing.
I would agree that it's difficult to land grabs with Algol since he has such limited grab range. In a situation where an opponent is playing really defensively, I would take note of the moves that he tends to guard after and that also put you in your grab range like 66B, FC8B, 66A, 66K, etc. Also make sure you give him a reason to guard low with moves like 1K and 2B+K

Any tips for beating these people?

Observe what they are doing and know what you can do to counter it.

are they backstepping away from you? do 4B+K
are they just standing there blocking? 1K or grab
are they are sidestepping your moves? try to see what situations they are sidestepping in and use an anti step move at those times. cut down on your number of linear attacks. if you want the highest damage for predicting a step 6AAB is generally the best choice

Well, I just got used to BB and AA spacing. I haven't lost to them since. So sweet, the best moves are the basic ones.

Also, any tips for using B8 and 6B+K effectively? I want to use those moves more. So far all I use B8 for is guard crush, but it'll whiff up close, and at a distance. Any strategies for them?

I've never come up with a reason to use B8, it just doesn't really fit any use. 6B+K is useful for two things. First, it is a vertical with good horizontal range, often catching steppers if your close enough. Second, when guarded, it creates a bit of space between you and your oppenent. This is especially helpful against characters with limited range as you can more easily back-step or side step to make them whiff. It also knocks down so you can capitalize on Algol's exceptional oki

3K is a better way to burst guard than B8. B8 has whiffing issues up close against little bitches. Why this move has a clean hit chance, I dunno. It can be used after a launcher before CE since no air control will escape CE and B8 launches them high enough that CE hits before they reach the ground.

Steven_A also says that you can use B8 to quickly smack a Yoshimitsu out of Deathcopter or SDGF, then chase him down with 66B+K. Of course, they can always air control after being hit by B8 so I don't know how viable a tactic that is. Especially considering you have 8A+B for the rare situation where you need to set up an anti-air defense.

Back