The future of Soul Calibur

What should be the focus of the next game?

• Continue the story following the events of SCV

Votes: 88 50.6%
  • Fill in the story with events from between SCIV and SCV

Votes: 47 27.0%
  • Reboot of the series starting with SE

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • Prequel before the events of SE

Votes: 9 5.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah Ha, now do you see the purpose of those moves? Those moves add to a players mix up game, and in a way it makes watching much more entertaining. lol I can tell I was still sleepy when typed out that message just now. Now could you get the same effect with a mechanic, right? Like Charge Cancel in SC4 ?(BTW that was way over my head back then, kudos to those who utilized it.)

So.... moves that are simply all around worse than other moves, but can be used in the same situations are a good thing because you can "mix them up"? That's what I got from that...
But really, what's the point in mixing them up then? Why not just use the better move?

....I'm so confused...

Most of what I see in TTT2 gameplay are:

-Launchers
-Usually two punches to keep the opponent in the air
-Attack or combo ending with bound properties
-Tag Assault
-Either a few attacks, or a hard hitting attack from both characters
-If they're on the ground for long, usually an attack that somehow picks them up

Practically, anything to keep the opponent in the air and suffering high damage as much as possible.

So.... moves that are simply all around worse than other moves, but can be used in the same situations are a good thing because you can "mix them up"? That's what I got from that...
But really, what's the point in mixing them up then? Why not just use the better move?

....I'm so confused...
It's not hard, your over complicating something very simple

They may all be useful, but you're not going to use them all. You'll only use the ones that lead to the best damage, best okizeme, etc. If something's not the best at something,or doesn't have unique properties, that move is useless compared to the other one. so you might as well only give the character the best tools, instead of a bunch of "options".
But not everybody plays a character the same way, some people may use certain tactics or combinations others don't. Id rather see variety in what people do rather then it all be controlled and set up into a linear script of "only this works" "Only this is aviliable"

But not everybody plays a character the same way, some people may use certain tactics or combinations others don't. Id rather see variety in what people do rather then it all be controlled and set up into a linear script of "only this works" "Only this is aviliable"

But WHY would you do the thing if it's worse?

Say I'm juggling someone with Aeon after WR-B BT-B+K. Afterward there are alot of available followups, but only one is really worth using, and that's 44BA. I should use moves that do less damage, don't ring out as far, and don't build as much meter for VARIETY'S SAKE?

When Im playing in a match. The last thing Im thinking about is "gee wilikers beaver, I hope this sure is entertaining for other people to watch". Im in it to win it homes
Its not about how people want to show off, its how people actually use the characters when they pick them up.

But it is true that each person have a own way of using a character, the move list is fine not big not hard, 2D are so repetitive that distort my opinion about them so can't tell much about without sounding like a hater.
True is the future of Soul Calibur is so unstable right now, if they can give a future any wrong step will kill the series....with few hopes of survivor.

When I "pick up" a character, Im gonna give him the tools needed to make a win. Rather that includes ALL of the moveset or not....not my fault, blame the DEVs.
Intuitive skill comes with practice and the discretion of problem solving to my belief. You won't learn until you can truly wade through the puzzle they give you. If the issue is moves that are too smiliar to each other like a 1 second jab vs a 2 second jab with the same animation then I guess thats where the uslessness probably comes from but if they're going to cut moves they should then fill the slots by replacing them with new angles of that similar move.

Intuitive skill comes with practice and the discretion of problem solving to my belief. You won't learn until you can truly wade through the puzzle they give you. If the issue is moves that are too smiliar to each other like a 1 second jab vs a 2 second jab with the same animation then I guess thats where the uslessness probably comes from but if they're going to cut moves they should then fill the slots by replacing them with new angles of that similar move.

WHY? THAT'S POINTLESS!

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the people complaining about movelist sizes can't play the game competently with the moves they are given... so to me their complaints come off as "maybe if i had more stuff my ineffective way of playing the game would work!"

When I "pick up" a character, Im gonna give him the tools needed to make a win. Rather that includes ALL of the moveset or not....not my fault, blame the DEVs.
That's more like me all the way. It's a shame that the Devs did not add more moves for the characters.

Im totally confused on what you mean. That makes no sense to me at all.

If you are a soilder. and I throw you into a war. And I give you 2 options for weapons. #1 a wet noodle, #2 is a big bad ass gun that blows everyone away. Which one would you choose?

Now for all you "wet noodle ninjas" out there, maybe you can slay an entire country with a wet noodle. More power to you. But why would you want to work that hard on winning a battle when the better tools were given to you in the begining.

Also, more moves giving you a "different way to play each character" is a false dichotomy. The characters themselves are INTENTIONALLY geared towards specific playstyles because of their tools.

To be able to carve out your own style with a character, you have to have a deep understanding of the game. If you have "more moves", that isn't a different style, that just pressing different buttons. That isn't uniqueness, that's a false choice.

Pyr, one of the most basic characters ever to play a fighting game, has 3 top level players who don't even play her remotely the same. If you can't find a way to make a character your own, maybe you just suck.

Your argument is only valid if you have an objective, and perfect, amount of moves as a number.

More IS better, until you have too many.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back