The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Death_Emperor_X

[10] Knight
GIVE DEX THE MAD SPOILERS OF THIS MOVIE; what was it like? how is it in your opinion? what were the best parts in your opinion? Was this ending retarded or damn good? Etc...

The best part is how nobody in my group of friends can get their shit together and we keep postponing seeing it by one more day.

I was pretty disappointed with it. Was it a good movie? Sure, but IMO it didn't live up to the epic atmosphere of the lord of the rings trilogy.

Let's see here. A mere 13 dwarves, a single Hobbit and a wizard are gonna take back the dwarven stronghold that is infested with thousands of goblins/orcs? (I forget which is which). Yeah, those are REAL good odds, 15 VS thousands.

My biggest problem with the story is that is didn't make sense. I can't say if the book makes any more sense though.

Well, I liked it in general. Overall is a nice movie. But there were two things really bothered me during all the film. First, the rythm/pacing of the movie, it starts REALLY slow, but then at some point it starts to rush. There were some scenes where you were thinking: "come on, that's not relevant at all, just move on to something interesting!" Then suddenly lot of events start to happen so quickly that you can't flavor them properly.

They should have shortened some pointless dialogues to extend other scenes

The second thing that disturbed me...may be Im wrong because I didn't read the book... but I had the feeling the film tries too hard to look connected to LOTR trilogy. I don't know, but there are some scenes that look quite out place, because it doesn't really fits THIS story, it looks like they added that to make it sure you relate it with LOTR. But as I say since I didn't read the books I don't know for sure if those scenes were actually on the book or were invented to the film.

Let's see here. A mere 13 dwarves, a single Hobbit and a wizard are gonna take back the dwarven stronghold that is infested with thousands of goblins/orcs? (I forget which is which). Yeah, those are REAL good odds, 15 VS thousands.

They don't want to take back a castle from orcs the orcs are just in their way. Is a dragon the only creature they need to kill to take back their treausre and country. Is 15 vs 1

BTW in LOTRverse goblins and orcs are the same, they just use one name or other depending on the ocassion. They are all "orcs" sometimes uses the word orc sometimes goblins. There are not really any significant difference between goblin and orcs unlike in other settings.

Hmm.. I guess I wasn't paying as much attention as I thought. Guess it wasn't good enough to pay close attention:)

In any case, the story is still shallow. Dwarves got their stronghold taken, now they wanna take it back. That's pretty much the whole plot right there.

This movie, as opposed to LOTR, feels like it's geared towards a much younger audience, but maybe that's just me.

Another thing that bothered me immensely is that the main dwarf didn't even look like a dwarf. He looked like he could have been Aragorn's brother with a scruffy beard. All the other dwarves had big noses, huge ears, extravagant beards, but no, the MAIN dwarf looks just like a friggin human. What happened? Did they run out of money for costumes ?!?!?! It felt really REALLY cheap.

This movie, as opposed to LOTR, feels like it's geared towards a much younger audience, but maybe that's just me.

Is not you, the hobbit was written as a "fairy tale" while LOTR was written for older audience.

Now they tried to make the Hobbit film closer to the LOTR films, but the source material is in the end a fairy tale, so they have their limits in making it looking "serious".

This is amazing, I didn't know so many people were unfamiliar with the Hobbit. Tolkien wrote it first, it's a children's story and prequel to LOTR, and in case you can't tell with both this and LOTR he made the plots up as he was writing it, so the books also slow down and speed up frequently.

Honestly. I'm glad it became movies. The books are, how should I say this, boring. I remember In Fellowship of the Ring, Bilbo's going away party was something like 50 pages long. I mean cmon, get to the point already!

Not only that, his writing style bores me even during battle.

I read them when I was in jail. Hey, I had nothing better to do! (was incarcerated for 6 months). The library in jail had a shitty selection and those where the only ones worth reading.

I never read the book but I liked the movie a lot.
My favorite parts are when the stone giants are fighting and the end when we see the dragon covered in gold and shinys :)

:p

I never read the book but I liked the movie a lot. My favorite parts are when the stone giants are fighting and the end when we see the dragon covered in gold and shinys :)
DUDE WTF! use spoilers, don't be such an ass :S

Good job quoting it so it stays visible even after it's put in spoilers.

Anyways this movie was fucking awesome. I enjoyed it the whole way through and I'm looking forward to the extended edition.

Smaug at the end was such a cocktease though. Needs part 2 and 3 right now.

Did anyone else note the hidden joke in Saruman's ridiculing of Radagast for taking mushrooms?

radagast-hummingbird.jpg

Well, he was kinda, um, eccentric. What was up with the mold on the side of his face?

In one scene, the brown wiz sure looked like he was trippin...

But no, I don't remember the joke

Spoilers of a smiliar mein:

The Hobbit is a movie.
It features a Hobbit.
People speak to one another in the movie.
There are dwarves.
There are forests.
The sun rises at least once.
There are fights.

Not only that, his writing style bores me even during battle.

I read them when I was in jail. Hey, I had nothing better to do! (was incarcerated for 6 months). The library in jail had a shitty selection and those where the only ones worth reading.
Apparently you never read The Hobbit. It's short and about 1200000X faster paced than the movie.

Back