The Inevitability of Trolling

Picture this scenario, someone recently purchased Soul Calibur 5. He went all the way through story mode and spent a few minutes in practice mode. He's starting to feel fairly good about his skills and decides to try his luck at ranked mode. His first match is against someone called "Coolguy97" who happens to have a score of 97 wins and 3 losses. "Man this guy must be good" he thinks to himself.

When the match starts he notices that Coolguys Mitsurugi custom is nothing but a naked dude with a cat head. As the match progresses the newcomer is trying his best but repeatedly gets hit by this move where misturgi lunges backwards really far then comes in with a stab. After every round Coolguy decides to hold guard and move up and down on the newcomers dead body. The newbie knows from experience that this is what people call "tea bagging" and he is furious. He decides to confront Coolguy through messages only to get madder through each response that Coolguy sends back. Coolguy is doing what we call trolling.

character_header_mitsurugi.jpg

Random Mitsurugi picture

Trolling exists in many forms, not just within ranked mode but within 8wayrun and any other online medium. There was even a former mod who wanted a strict no trolling policy. Trolling is something that can never fully stopped, nor should it be anyone's goal to stop it. Trolling within the fighting game community is inevitable. Why is this? you ask? First and foremost, fighting games are competitive. No matter how you look at the game, someone wins the match and someone loses the match. This is a core structure of fighting games. Competition is something that occurs naturally throughout all living organisms. More importantly, it's the opposite of cooperation. A very typical example of a hobby that displays cooperation would be river rafting. Everyone on the raft needs to work together towards the same exact goal. Lots of businesses commonly use rafting as a team building exercise to create cooperation throughout the entire business.

IMG_4306-Fighting-Bighorns.jpg

an example of two animals competing in nature.

Since fighting games are the opposite of something like rafting, it holds some positive and negative aspects. Since it's a competition, both sides want to win. Through adaptation, each player will find a new way to use the game to their advantage and a set of skills being to appear. These set of skills appear through a desire to win and to do what will accomplish winning the most effectively. There is a very technical aspect of fighting games that is driven through competition. This tends to make playing at high levels very rewarding since each player is essentially trying to out play and out smart each other. Going back to the example of Coolguy97, he ultimately beat the newcomer in my story by spamming Mitsurugi's 4b. Which by now, most people know is a very good move. If the newbie I mentioned decided to keep playing and had a strong urge to get better and beat Coolguy. He might come under the idea of stepping the 4b spam and then attacking him. This would nullify Coolguy's strategy and he would have to adapt or he would end up losing. This would make Coolguy's trolling a motivation to ultimately get better. It also creates a scenario where if the new player got better and beat Coolguy. Coolguy's defeat would be more rewarding than if Coolguy didn't troll.

Kabuto-The-Python.jpg

Picture of Fenris Zero, well known 8wayrun troll

Once people start figuring out how to play the game. There becomes forums like this one where ideas and strategies are passed around in hopes to get better. This actually forms a different kind of competition within the community. Since people form opinions on what character they think is better and how certain characters should be played. People will start to identify with certain ways of thinking and sometimes get angry if their beliefs are challenged. Ego's start to build and drama ensues. To laugh at this drama or to enjoy it, is actually a fairly reasonable response. Since if someone were to take things said on the forums too seriously, it will only end up hurting their own enjoyment of the forums. TITANSQUAD420SWAG are a good example of people who have learned to laugh and poke fun at drama. If you haven't seen any of their videos, I would recommend checking them out *shameless plug*. So next time someone like Fenris tells you, "you suck" or a character moves up and down on your T.V. See it for what it is, it's a fairly harmless jest in the grand scheme of things. We should enjoy the game and try to lighten up as a whole.

ahhahaha, Sorry....hmm just ask sorry for R.O ing the person it is easier....if you don't get this time just forget it is not like it matter anyway.

So you're saying I should ask are they offended by getting ringed out? Is that what you're saying?

So you're saying I should ask are they offended by getting ringed out? Is that what you're saying?
Not quite, I am just saying if someone start to cry about it just let it go and let him take his way, is not like he will not learn soon or later, so why even bother in trolling, you see? Or am I just misinterpreting what you said all along?

All I know is, making people mad is fun. And mad people either play worse or better. So I make people mad. Do I feel bad about it? No. At the end of the day even the saltiest of Scrublord gets over it and forgets I even exist.

Not quite, I am just saying if someone start to cry about it just let it go and let him take his way, is not like he will not learn soon or later, so why even bother in trolling, you see? Or am I just misinterpreting what you said all along?

So that's what you mean. If someone cries, some people like me will leave them alone. Occasionally, I will troll if they really dug their own grave or if I'm bored and need to humor myself with a friend.

Still, the whole point of the article (I seemed to ramble my thoughts only to regurgitate words similar to the article and such), is to tell you not to take trolling so seriously.

Some people get their panties in a bunch because it's so vulgar and unsportsmanlike to them. The question is why are you letting it get to you? It's harmless and if you were to stay and fight and troll each other, chances are you'd bond more.

I've made some friends by simply walling their trolling intentions as silly smack talk jokes or a motivation to beat them to see their reactions. Trolling isn't bad as long as you aren't like those special idiots.

So next time someone like Fenris tells you, "you suck" or a character moves up and down on your T.V. See it for what it is, it's a fairly harmless jest in the grand scheme of things. We should enjoy the game and try to lighten up as a whole.

I think I'd be nonplussed (British understanding of this) if a stranger told me- You suck- .... but then it depends on my mood at the time. What I like is where someone gives advice after the game- HRD springs to mind when I played him once; as well as Haxinsheep. Yes, we should lighten up.....and enjoy the game. But frankly.... it's a competitive sport...

Teabagging only bothers me if its between me and someone i don't know. if friends do it - i don't mind- too much.. Someone mentioned Ring Outs- I don't see the point in apologising for them if that person chose the stage and I ring them out.... They know its a ring out stage- so...if it happens- tough luck.

Just in case someone wants to quibble over my use of non-plussed-

nonplussed |nɒnˈplʌst|
adjective1 so surprised and confused that one is unsure how to react: Henry looked completely nonplussed.2 N. Amer. informal not disconcerted; unperturbed.

Good article by the way

I think I'd be nonplussed (British understanding of this) if a stranger told me- You suck- .... but then it depends on my mood at the time. What I like is where someone gives advice after the game- HRD springs to mind when I played him once; as well as Haxinsheep. Yes, we should lighten up.....and enjoy the game. But frankly.... it's a competitive sport...

Teabagging only bothers me if its between me and someone i don't know. if friends do it - i don't mind- too much.. Someone mentioned Ring Outs- I don't see the point in apologising for them if that person chose the stage and I ring them out.... They know its a ring out stage- so...if it happens- tough luck.

Just in case someone wants to quibble over my use of non-plussed-

nonplussed |nɒnˈplʌst|
adjective1 so surprised and confused that one is unsure how to react: Henry looked completely nonplussed.2 N. Amer. informal not disconcerted; unperturbed.

Good article by the way
Or you know...you could have just used one of the other 30 words that mean the same thing as nonplussed.

Also - I generally don't assume teabagging to be "harmless" or "in jest." It's kind of the middle finger of Calibur. And, sure, I flip the bird at friends "in jest" sometimes...but usually, if I'm teabagging you, it's because you pissed me off somehow and I want you to have the full image of my balls in your face.

I agree. There is a taunt button. If someone feels like they are better than you, they will taunt you. If you fail, they will taunt you. I find "tea-bagging" infuriating, it's like a switch that engages my "try-hard pants."

I think people can forget the stress that this can put on people. When you try so hard to do something and are mocked, this can deter people from SCV, and possibly be a reason SCV isn't as popular as "Mahvel." (Although I don't understand why it isn't. SCV is an amazing game.)

I'm not saying that I have not "trolled" before, or currently do not (#JusticeSquad). We should come together as a community and help each other become better at the game... Unless you have "Cyber Sex" in the Colosseo. Then you can go f*** youself and get trolled.

But I also have to agree with AlexJ, he said that tea-bagging only has power because we give it power. Among friends, it can be funny and make everyone laugh.

I guess "tea-bagging" is like alcohol, use it responsibly :P

(But seriously, if you "Cyber" in the Colosseo... go f*** yourself)

I enjoy playing kind people that I can ask to "repeat that move so I can repeat learning its counter" and I prefer not to fight one-win-runaways who are obviously the type who troll pre-emptively (troll or be trolled mentality) and get very mad if I 2a 2k 2a 2k 2a 2k them to death, rather than BBing me for it.

I understand that this is a competitive game, but I'm not a fan of unfriendly competitiveness. I don't like getting t-bagged. Like someone else said, it's kind of like getting flipped off. "You're no good, so you can suck my dick." Like, it sucks to hear that when you're giving it your all. Not everyone is blessed with unflappable confidence to where they can sustain that kind of treatment and not feel like shit.

I have way more fun with this game in friendly competition. I could get completely bodied but still be in an alright mood if they say GG afterward. Like, I saw some people say that they just outright like to make people mad. Why? I understand the tactical advantage in trying to get someone riled up, trying to get into someone's head. But what about when the game's over? If you still like to make people mad at that point, then you're just a dick.

I don't get what the appeal is in depriving others of their happiness. I don't subscribe to the train of thought where fun = taking away others' fun. I like to make other people happy. I like to have mutual enjoyment. I take no joy whatsoever in making others sad or mad. I try not to feel too bad about it because it's the nature of the game. And besides, in my experience, a simple GG is enough to lift others's spirits. Mutual respect for each others' efforts makes the world a better place.

I don't want to be a jerk for saying this, but I really hope you don't say ggs after one game(especially when someone wins against me). Imho, it's a pet peeve because I sometimes get a feeling that when I do go all out to find your weak spot, you might crack.

What irks me off a bit more is when I finally get a few winning streaks out of sheer hard work, and someone like you doesn't want to stay around anymore even when I do try to offer help. Or you get streaks on me but then you get all emo mushy on me and don't want to do runbacks.

Now I may be putting you on blast since I just get this feeling from you, but this isn't to be spiteful. I'm just hoping that when we fight next time, there's no trivial emo bs. The only thing I want is fight, smack talk, and bond later when we've exhausted our competitive egos.

That extra rainbow carebear stuff is earned if you exhaust me first through battle.

Live streams

13 Viewers
Draethiox
Draethiox
It's that time again folks ("Late" Edition)
1 Viewers
LittleeMacc
LittleeMacc
THE SOUL MIGHT BE CALIBUR

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luca9974
Back