The Mimic Question

Mimics?

• Yes

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • No

Votes: 21 61.8%

• Total voters
After SC5 I think I've had enough mimics for a lifetime.
See this is why everyone is so anti mimic. Many are just rightfully paranoid about another fiasco like five they are afraid of even supporting mimics in fear of the same.

There should have been a third options in the pole for one mimic only. Then I bet there would be more support.

I still think they’re unnecessary because even if we had one mimic character, they’re still going to look ridiculous performing everyone’s unique characterizations (Tira’s taunts, Xianghua’s cutesy feints, Yoshimitsu’s mannerisms, Voldo’s eccentricities, etc.) unless they’re literally a wooden dummy like Mokujin. Makes it hard for me to take characters like Edge Master or Olcadan seriously.

I still think they’re unnecessary because even if we had one mimic character, they’re still going to look ridiculous performing everyone’s unique characterizations (Tira’s taunts, Xianghua’s cutesy feints, Yoshimitsu’s mannerisms, Voldo’s eccentricities, etc.) unless they’re literally a wooden dummy like Mokujin. Makes it hard for me to take characters like Edge Master or Olcadan seriously.

That’s why they should just make inferno the mimic.

There should have been a third options in the pole for one mimic only. Then I bet there would be more support.
But no one is even asking for more than one mimic. Why add in an option for multiple mimics, if no one wants that?
Wow, there's a lot to unpack here.

Firstly, couldn't this be an argument against CAS in general? Since characters look ridiculous doing certain actions?

Secondly, aren't most of those actions supposed to be ridiculous and silly anyway?

Thirdly, Olcadan has an owl face. Did you... Did you think he was going to be a serious character? Why?

Firstly, couldn't this be an argument against CAS in general? Since characters look ridiculous doing certain actions?

Secondly, aren't most of those actions supposed to be ridiculous and silly anyway?

Thirdly, Olcadan has an owl face. Did you... Did you think he was going to be a serious character? Why?

It can’t be an argument against CaS because we’re talking about an actual canon character here. There’s nothing we can do about someone’s flag toting samurai OC being wacky when not intended to be, but it’s completely off when it’s someone like Edge Master or Olcadan, aka undefeated masters of all types of combat. Only if it’s them would it justify adding new animations that would better fit them rather than the ones specific to the characters they’re mimicking (ie. Kilik when mimicking Xiba). Even then, that seems like a bit of fluff for just a single mimic character.

But no one is even asking for more than one mimic. Why add in an option for multiple mimics, if no one wants that?

Because almost no one has ever wanted more than one mimic, and yet they've given us more than one more than once, culminating in three whole mimics in five. So clearly the developers don't seem to get it. So the reason for a, yes mimics but NO MORE THAN ONE, option helps hammer the point that the developers don't seem to get, that you think is should be obvious, home.

Oh, you think devs are going to look at this poll? This poll of 30 people?

But they're also going to ignore all the comments by people saying they don't want more than one mimic?

Seems far-fetched.

Oh, you think devs are going to look at this poll? This poll of 30 people?

But they're also going to ignore all the comments by people saying they don't want more than one mimic?

Seems far-fetched.
What's the point of making a poll if one is going to assume it has zero chance of serving any purpose?

Is it likely to serve no purpose? Yes probably, but why build it with that assumption. The more data points on a poll the more clear it is, and the more useful it is. Accuracy is a good thing. Most polls fail because either they are built with an agenda, or offer too few data points with which to account for relevant variable with which to paint a whole picture.

Ha ha. I made the poll just because I was curious how the 8wayrun community felt about the issue.

I usually like having one mimic around like Mokujin in Tekken 5 and Charade in SoulCalibur II but I would not want to see any mimics at all in SoulCalibur VI after what happened in SoulCalibur V with 3 total mimics. At this point, the Soul series should stay away from mimics at least until SoulCalibur VII or when the stigma from SoulCalibur V dies down.

Sometimes mimics are a blast, plus ice charades sounds awesome. I'd rather have characters with unique styles first, but mimics are not the worst. Just look at infero, Elysium and charade. It's a fun challenge too. But I see more than one mimic I'll have an aneurysm

On some level I get why they exist. It's not that hard to add after the fact when you don't have the dev time to do a full blown character, especially since they already have a CaS system in place. Just give it a slightly nicer generic model, throw in some RNG code, and be done with it.

So in that sense, a mimic is just a "bonus" character, they're not actually taking a slot from someone who could've made it because (i'd like to believe) that the significantly easier to add mimic can't be compared. If it could've been a real character it would've been.

That said, I still don't enjoy them. While easier to make than a real character you still have to waste time modeling them (as they're slightly more complex than Cas) and that's time that could go towards literally anything else and add more value to the game in my eyes.

it’s completely off when it’s someone like Edge Master or Olcadan, aka undefeated masters of all types of combat.
Honestly, I think EdgeMaster was always intended to have a goofy side. Remember this (official) art of him eating noodles?
Soul_Calibur_Kilik_Ending.jpg
For me, seeing this super buff old man doing weird shit was part of his charm.
Paranoid because of 5 in my case.
Thanks for your feedback!

It's pretty accurate to say I'm paranoid about SCVI in general. Every SoulCalibur since the original has found some way to disappoint me, as sad as that is to admit. But it's no fun to abandon all hope. I loved playing as the mimics in SoulCaliburs 1~3 and think it's possible (unlikely, but possible) that the series can reach those levels again.

Honestly, I think EdgeMaster was always intended to have a goofy side. Remember this (official) art of him eating noodles?
Soul_Calibur_Kilik_Ending.jpg
For me, seeing this super buff old man doing weird shit was part of his charm.

Ah, I’d forgotten this thing had existed because I’ve never played SCI, but that was probably part of its quirky 90s anime charm.

Seeing footage of Legendary Souls again and seeing Edge Master go consecutive rounds using aPat’s style makes me wish he had just been the representative for that style instead lol.

Seeing footage of Legendary Souls again and seeing Edge Master go consecutive rounds using aPat’s style makes me wish he had just been the representative for that style instead lol.
What if Edge Master was Alpha Patroklos, Elysium was Pyrrha Omega, Kilik was Xiba, and Xiba was the mimic?

I like Edge Master, he's a wonderful char and he's the only one I could possibly approve (Inferno is terrible, Elysium is useless, Olcadan is an ugly version of Edge Master).
Anyway with only 23 slots I’d prefer to not have any mimic in the game.

Last edited:
I like Edge Master, he's a wonderful char and he's the only one I could possibly approve (Inferno is terrible, Elysium is useless, Olcadan is an ugly version of Edge Master).
Anyway with only 23 slots I’d prefer to not have any mimic in the game.
What's wrong with Elysium?

Back