Some people like them.
Other people don't like them.

Soul Edge had zero mimics.
SoulCalibur had two mimics.
SoulCalibur 2 had one mimic.
SoulCalibur 3 had one mimic.
SoulCalibur 4 had zero mimics.
SoulCalibur 5 had three mimics.

Mimics have also appeared in most Tekken games, and Mokujin is probably the most famous mimic character in fighting games. But he was cut from Tekken 7, to mixed fan reactions.

What are your thoughts?

I personally don’t mind them (but only one at a time please), but I think I’d prefer to not have them in the game.

I personally don’t mind them (but only one at a time please), but I think I’d prefer to not have them in the game.
If we must have them, I agree, one is enough.

I voted no, not because I'd mind if there was one, but because I don't want to encourage anymore soul calibur 5 shenanigans.

At this point in the series, minics should only be added when nearly all unique characters are selectable. The mixed fan reaction to Mokujin was just the overall reaction to legacy characters being cut from Tekken 7. People have called for Lei, Anna, Julia, Amour King, Zafina, Marduk, Christie (Eddy Clone), Rodger and Bruce to be added to Tekken 7 a lot more than Mokujin.

tumblr_inline_mz8pbemz2o1qavmkj.gif

Mimics are awesome, they provide a unique way to play the game for minimal effort on developers' side. One is a must, also there is no need for more than one.

The best mimic is that question mark in the bottom right of the screen.
Nah, it's the worst. It doesn't change styles every round and can be literally substituted by closing your eyes and wiggling a thumbstick for a random number of seconds.

I like the Inferno / Elysium style mimics where they add unique flair to the styles they're mimicking over what the original characters are capable of.

The all-character mimics in SC are one of the most unique things about the series to me. To be able to play with a new fighting style every round is fun, and spices things up when you'd otherwise just be playing your main. It's a nice thing for practicing the whole roster rather than just your selection of favorite characters.
That being said, I think it should be limited to a CaS style like Devil Jin was in SCV. That way, it doesn't "take up a spot on the roster", but is still accessible to folks that want to use it. Maybe even provide CaS parts to make Olcadan/Edge Master if you so choose. :p

Well I'm happy that the results indicate that mimics aren't as hated as I feared.

There are three reasons why I like mimics.

1. Edgemaster. He's a great design and it makes sense for someone named Edgemaster to be able to able to use all weapon styles. He's also really important in SoulCalibur lore. Additionally, if they include some kind of tutorial mode (which is doubtful, but if...), he makes the most sense to teach newbies how to play the game.

2. Inferno. My favorite boss of the series, and he's always been a mimic with a few of his own unique moves. And like Edgemaster, it makes sense for a seemingly immortal embodiment of a living sword to be able to utilize any style. I'm really happy he seems to be returning, since Abyss, Night Terror and Algol have all felt like poor replacements to the one true SC boss.

3. They make SC the perfect party game. In SC2, my friends and I would play a version of the game we called the "Ice Charades," (which is a play on the Ice Capades, in case anyone doesn't get the reference.) It was Extra VS battle, 200% health, Ice stage (obviously), Charade only. The fact that it's "extra" vs mode is important, because this is the ONLY way to get randomized weapons in SC2. So you have the chaos of Charade's switching styles every round, the craziness of both characters sliding all over the stage, and the incredibly mismatched weapon abilities. All this made for some hysterical matches, and even people who would normally not play fighting games would have a blast playing it.

All of this is to say: I hope Project Soul includes a mimic (and an ice stage).

By "mimic" are we including characters like Necrid who combine moves from several other characters into a single movelist or are we strictly talking the "Edgemaster" types who just perfectly copy one movelist at a time on a random selection? Actually, i'm not entirely certain if Necrid was like that or not but i do prefer those types of mimics. Even if they are just stealing other characters moves, its still unique to me because a character is made up of several moves and how those relate to each other. Shuffling and mixing them around creates a different experience. Another example of this was Seth in SF4. I liked him a lot, he stole other moves but changed them slightly so they felt pretty different.

Concerning the random select mimics, i would only like one and i'd like to see some sort of selection option where we can custom choose which movesets show up instead of everything at random. Perhaps include some sort of cool visual indication on the character that identifies how many random characters are selected. So in other words if you have several mains your confident enough to play with, other players could somehow look at the character and visually see that.

So I often pick random and or mimics because variety is the spice of life, but still I think we don’t need more than one in the game.

Inferno has always been a mimic (after the first round) and I don’t think it’s likely we’ll be able to play him in game.

I do see them having Edgemaster if they put a mimic in, though. Mimics have been in almost all the SC games, but bear in mind that Tekken took a step away from copycats by excluding Moukujin so I don’t know in the end...

I guess my vote goes: I want Edgemaster in over Inferno as playable, but if they don’t include him I won’t be put out.

By "mimic" are we including characters like Necrid who combine moves from several other characters into a single movelist or are we strictly talking the "Edgemaster" types who just perfectly copy one movelist at a time on a random selection? Actually, i'm not entirely certain if Necrid was like that or not but i do prefer those types of mimics. Even if they are just stealing other characters moves, its still unique to me because a character is made up of several moves and how those relate to each other. Shuffling and mixing them around creates a different experience. Another example of this was Seth in SF4. I liked him a lot, he stole other moves but changed them slightly so they felt pretty different.

I like Necrid, but think he's a whole different affair, with an own set command list.

Concerning the random select mimics, i would only like one and i'd like to see some sort of selection option where we can custom choose which movesets show up instead of everything at random. Perhaps include some sort of cool visual indication on the character that identifies how many random characters are selected. So in other words if you have several mains your confident enough to play with, other players could somehow look at the character and visually see that.

If you have several mains, Team Battle could also be great.

Back