The Official Shin Megami Tensei Thread

I didn't realize till now that Wendee Lee does the voice of Naoto! Kinda makes up for that awful Amanda Winn Lee doing the voice of Yukiko.

I actually like Amanda doing Yukiko's voice.

She did a much better job with Yukiko's voice than Etna's, IMO.

Rise just joined my team but I'm curious about something: When she levels, why does she have stats? She doesn't fight so can she heal people or something?

Rise just joined my team but I'm curious about something: When she levels, why does she have stats? She doesn't fight so can she heal people or something?

I'm pretty sure that her stats don't affect anything.

It's just like in P3. Fuuka had stats, but they didn't matter.

I haven't played any Personas myself but my gf has Persona 2: Eternal Punishment and then I bought her 3:FES for her bday and then 4 for Xmas. 2 looked pretty interesting but I'd never put any time into it. 3 is very good but seems a little out of place compared to the previous ones. Just seems to be missing a certain bizarre charm from 2. That's the best way I can describe it. Very great on its own, but feels like something is missing compared to 2. She hasn't began 4 yet as she hasn't even finished Journey. (last thing I saw was the decision regarding Ryuji. [Ryoji?])

If I saw this thread before, I would've asked if it was worth getting 4 now since she probably won't be finished with 3:FES for a couple of months or wait to see if there will be a 4:FES of somesort.

I'm actually disappointed that 4 looks to be exactly the same as 3 just with different settings/chars, but I guess there's no reason to fix what isn't broken. Looking forward to seeing a sequel on PS3/360 and seeing how they take it to the next level.

I hope that DS SMT comes to America by May. That'll be a good bday gift. If they ever put both Persona 2s on 1 UMD in US, I'll be pretty tempted to finally play a Persona. But it probably wouldn't be enough.

was there a fes version of persona 4 in japan? to my knowledge there wasn't, as opposed to p3 which had a simultaneous release.

Lemme link again to the news story about no FES version of P4...

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3171167

Ya never know though, could just be PR to get everyone to buy it. xD

Anyways, P4 is really fun. Just got the chance to start it a few days ago... The murder mystery vibe definitely gives it more urgency, though I'm crossing my fingers that it maintains this sense and pace well through the middle act, where I thought P3 started dragging.

Anyways, P4 is really fun. Just got the chance to start it a few days ago... The murder mystery vibe definitely gives it more urgency, though I'm crossing my fingers that it maintains this sense and pace well through the middle act, where I thought P3 started dragging.

It pretty much maintains a good pace throughout the game, I beat P4 after 78 hours and I'm half way through july on my second cycle now. The true ending boss in P4 is kind of a joke though, hopefully it'll be tougher this time on hard.

Am I the only person that thinks p3 is a better game than p4? Sure as far as game mechanics go, p4 wins hands down, but everything else, music, atmosphere, story I find p3 to be a lot more appealing.

Am I the only person that thinks p3 is a better game than p4? Sure as far as game mechanics go, p4 wins hands down, but everything else, music, atmosphere, story I find p3 to be a lot more appealing.

I really prefer P4's music, especially the boss music during the true final battle, much better than the Nyx avatar/answer boss music. The story was better than P3 imo, for some reason the serial murder case was more interesting to me than trying to solve the cause of apathy syndrome. The only thing I preferred in P3 were the persona skillsets, some of my favorites: satan, helel, succubus, michael, and khoryu, were nerfed along with the transferable skills in P4. Regardless I still love P3 but that game only got two play throughs, I'm starting my 3rd P4 cycle.

I'm of the opinion that P4 is superior to P3 in just about all areas BUT the music. After listening to the soundtracks of both, the soundtrack for P3 still feels superior to me. I could probably also give P3 the nod for having a better overall story. However, I think P4 has a much better and entertaining cast of characters than P3.

Hmm, I find the story and characters in P4 to be really pedestrian. I read a lot of books and watched a lot of anime like Detective Conan, so murder mystery isn't very new to me. Furthermore, P4 in general does it pretty badly. At least to me, the fun of murder mystery comes from suspense as the protagonist reveals more clues in the midst of imminent danger. 50+ hours into the game and nothing interesting has yet to come. Part of it is that the action is so drawn out. You only really get new clues as to what's going on every time someone is kidnapped, and there is a huge time period in between where you're just doing other stuff (getting social links). Its even worse if you play like me and rescue the person on the first day that got kidnapped because most of the fun you get from the game comes from maxing out social links rather than pacing your way through dungeons. You can say p3 was exactly the same in that way, but p3 wasn't trying to be a murder mystery. In that game, social links were more strongly integrated into the story. The game didn't revolve around episodically saving individuals, it revolved around becoming strong enough to overcome a great adversity every full moon. So as for the immediate goal, p3 made sure it was always ahead of you, while p4 allowed you to achieve it and have nothing to do until the next immediate goal came up. The whole social link system also really ties in with the overarching memento mori theme of p3. In p4, it feels more like p3's system shoehorned into a murder mystery rather than an integral part of the game.

Furthermore, its not really you gathering the clues, its you watching a group of teenagers bumbling into the obvious conclusion. The game is way too slow paced to be a murder mystery, without the satisfaction of watching clever deductions.

As for characters, I felt p3 did a much better job with them. They all had problems, but p3 was a lot more subtle, rather than relying on a cheap plot device that allowed you to pretty much see their major problems all at once. Sure, you have the individual social links, but the meat of the story just gets exposed all at once for the most part as opposed to p3 where you had exposition throughout the story as well as the supplementary social links. P4 to me feels like it takes a run and gun approach where they just systematically take each character, expose his story, and move onto the next one. So for me at least, it felt like p3 was telling a better story of their characters, where since they didn't reveal all their secrets, dialogue and expressions had a lot more significance. I also just happen to like the p3 personalities a lot more for the most part. The one thing that annoyed me was how Fuuka's voice got slaughtered because trying to emulate Mamiko Noto is for the most part a failed effort, even for japanese people. (Doesn't help that Mamiko Noto is arguably my favorite va ever).

What I really liked about p3 though was how it took the common theme, "memento mori" and really ran with it. While you've seen plenty of murder mysteries before (even weird ones) you've never seen somebody metaphorically blow out their brains to summon monsters to fight for them. That single image alone I find much stronger than anything p4 has thrown at me yet.

Woo, halfway through August... The omelette scene was the most hilarious thing I've seen in a long time. I really am enjoying the fact that the group interactions are much more common than in P3, and they're always really fun.

Woo, halfway through August... The omelette scene was the most hilarious thing I've seen in a long time. I really am enjoying the fact that the group interactions are much more common than in P3, and they're always really fun.

I loved the omelet scene too! I'm on Sept 8th that's when you go to
Gekkoukan
and i must say, time skip
Chihiro
is VERY cute now that shes older! It's cool to hear that she is voice by Wendy Lee

Anyway, I have a question for those of you who are this far into the game: What are good move sets for Teddie and Naoto? I'm asking about Teddie because I am going to have Chie focus on ice so I 'm not sure what else he has going for him. As for Naoto, I don't even have her yet so I have NO idea what to expect. If anyone can give me so advice that would be great.

I loved the omelet scene too! I'm on Sept 8th that's when you go to
Gekkoukan
and i must say, time skip
Chihiro
is VERY cute now that shes older! It's cool to hear that she is voice by Wendy Lee
Never did finish her S.Link, but it's pretty obvious that MC and her predecessor did a lot of work with her, haha. The whole class trip is amazing, I really loved it when they started playing the old background music and
Burn My Dread in Club Escapade.

Rise and Yukiko (Chie: Where did you learn this kind of stuff?!) inebriated and being really gung ho about the King's Game? Also hilarious.

I swear, my parents must think I'm crazy 'cause I'm always laughing so loudly in front of my PS3. ^^;

I'm honestly not much further than you in the game (9/19), but I don't see why you wouldn't beef up Teddie's ice spells as well. Dude gets Ice Boost pretty early, after all. Overall, he's just a really well rounded character, what with Mediarama right off the bat and some nifty support skills to boost. Basically I swap him in as a replacement for Chie as ice caster or Yukiko as healer depending on what kind of elemental spells the shadows in the dungeons are using.

I'm also curious about people's thoughts on Naoto in combat, since I'm close to getting her.

Chie is pretty bad as a caster because of her low sp. As far as her ice spells go, mabufu is probably her best one because it multi-targets and doesn't drain sp as bad as mabufula. I don't like teddy because I find him really obnoxious.

I haven't played in a while, but I think Naoto is a good replacement for Chie as a physical user. Immunity to light/dark is somewhat useful as well, just because its probably the easiest way to die though much rarer. Haven't actually done a dungeon run with her yet because nobody's been kidnapped, but that's what I remember from her persona info.

The game is easy enough that I just use who I like, regardless of the dungeon makeup. Its not like p3 where bosses totally screw you over if you choose the wrong guy.

I'm also curious about people's thoughts on Naoto in combat, since I'm close to getting her.

I replaced Youske with Naoto on my first playthrough. I really like her for her follow up attack and mahamon/mamudoon which come in really handy.

Back