The Official Shin Megami Tensei Thread

truthiness about p3 beating p4

100% agree. You don't have to relate to a character for them to be well-written and dynamic. They don't have to be realistic to be believable. Yukari and Mitsuru's antagonism (and later Aigis') was much more interesting to me.

I will be hyperbolic and say that if I wanted to play Gossip Girl's Persona then I'd need a sex change first. I hate Yukiko and Chie's typical relationship. I'm only in May and because it's SMT I'll give it leeway for now, but hopefully the plot will pick up to the point where they have some more dynamic growth. I'm worried though, because when you find out your friend's deepest darkest secrets 1 week after meeting them, it doesn't really leave room for the relationship to grow -- instead, we just have people accepting that side and that's that.

iKotomi's right about the universal themes as well. It even permeates the character design. You instantly recognize the protagonist in P3 because he commands your attention and presence, from the mp3 player to the way he walks. Sensei has no such aura.

Oh well. Here's to Abaddon!

I am in a serious relationship with Yukiko right now. Does this effect the game in any way? and will anything bad happen if I am in a serious relation ship with the other girls? I was very set on being in a serious relation ship with Yukiko, but now that I have experienced the kawaiiness that is Rise... I think I want to be in one with her too!

To my knowledge, it only affects who asks you out in events like christmas, as well as screwing over some social links on weekends like Ai's. You can do the serious relationship with multiple people, but I'm assuming that it just overrides the last one.

i like nocturne cause it had dante from devil may cry in it :) and it was like pokemon/monster rancher except with demons

@mizuiro: I'm pretty sure if you've maxed a Social Link with a girl you're intimate with, there's no way to break it. So if you wanna chase Rise's skirt, I recommend you finish things with Yukiko if you haven't already. I just recently Na*** to join my harem with Chie so I'm good =D

Thanks A lot! Now for more questions:

1. Has anyone maxed out the hermit arcana? I keep trying to catch that a huge fish but no luck so far.

2. If I have both boot and amp on an element will it actually be 75% stronger? Cuz that would be mad strong if I combined the two with an item

3. I am on 10/12 am I close to the end? I ask this because there are a bunch of S.links that I havent even established yet.

4. I maxed out Yukiko... Why am I still able to spend time with her?

THIS THREAD IS EPIC FUCKIN WIN!!

BEST RPG SERIES FOR THE LAST 5 YRS EASY.

NOCTURNE WAS THE BEST,THEN DDS,THEN PERSONA and DEVIL SUMMOUNER

THAT IS ALL.

2. If I have both boot and amp on an element will it actually be 75% stronger? Cuz that would be mad strong if I combined the two with an item
Yes, boost and amp skills stack. Only 2 things can stack though, so if you want to toss a vow onto it... no dice. Skills have priority over items too, so if you had amp + boost and tried to use a +50% accessory, you'd still only get 75%.

Up to the December dungeon... Currently rocking Loki and Trumpeter as my main personae. :D

Am I the only person that thinks p3 is a better game than p4? Sure as far as game mechanics go, p4 wins hands down, but everything else, music, atmosphere, story I find p3 to be a lot more appealing.

Its not so much that I agree with you completely, its just that I don't think P4 dominates P3 like a lot of people are saying. I felt that the characters in P3 are just all to likable and I almost felt like I can't say goodbye to them lol. I also like the setting of the big city rather than a remote country side as well. I already beat the game and I am working on my second run through right now because I wasn't able to max out my hanged man temperance and tower social links and I was fairly content with the ending. There the tweaked mechanics that make P4 better than 3 but not by anything that completely makes 3 obsolete. I liked them both on even amounts due to both games lacking in certain departments that the other featured.

As for my favorite game in the megaten series, it would have to be SMT II. I really enjoyed how the story in this game basically began with clearing up the question of what choice the main character chose at the end of the original game. And how these events spiraled towards its own unique climax. On the other hand if anyone is playing the beta for SMT: imagine lemme know my character name is the same as here. I haven't actually played in a while but I did find it pretty damn good especially for a beta game. I like the feeling of controlling your demon and character, it makes it feel a little more fasted pace than it really is.

Oh yeah speaking of P2 really quick, I think there has been a translating patch for the game already, thought I am not 100% sure and also has anyone played a megaten game called if... is there an english version of this game?

Thanks A lot! Now for more questions:

1. Has anyone maxed out the hermit arcana? I keep trying to catch that a huge fish but no luck so far.

3. I am on 10/12 am I close to the end? I ask this because there are a bunch of S.links that I havent even established yet.

4. I maxed out Yukiko... Why am I still able to spend time with her?

1. If you have a Huge Fish in your possession, speak to the old man near the river who gave you the Fishing Kit. He'll give you the Angler's Kit, which will allow you to catch the Guardian. If you're familiar with the vibration on the controller for the other fish, you'll be able to tell if the Guardian is nibbling; it should feel like steady, slow THUMPS on the controller, stronger than usual.

3. Without spoiling anything, the last playable game day is 12/23.

4. Spending additional time with girlfriend social links basically brings them to your room so you can spend 'extra time' with them. This doesn't get you anything at all, aside from the implication that you spent a few hours making out (unlike P3, you don't really get to 3rd base with them this way; after all, Nanako's just downstairs!)

Ah, I can't decide whether or not I want to go with Chie or Naoto for Christmas. Such a dilemma...

3. Without spoiling anything, the last playable game day is 12/23.

Ah, I can't decide whether or not I want to go with Chie or Naoto for Christmas. Such a dilemma...

............... That's the last playable day?! That means I'm almost done! is it me or does this game feel A LOT shorter than P3? If I knew the last playable day was 12/23 I would fused a lot more persona, (I only did like 5 of Margret's request) I haven't even established the Death arcana yet and I would have spent more time with my parties arcana, the only characters I have maxed are Chie and Yikiko, Rise didn't even learn Healing wave yet! I'm sad..............

Well, I ended up having a LOT of time on my hands for S.Links because I always make it a point to rescue each victim on the first day I unlock their dungeon and then spend the rest of my time hanging out with S.Links, so I've got quite a few of them maxed out. I can help you get the other missing S.Links if don't know where they are. Which ones don't you have?

Also, for Margaret's requests, if you've got lots of cash and understand how the fusion system works, you can actually do all of them in one sitting (provided you're at least level 67 to be able to fuse the last one on the list). The way fusion BASICALLY works is that the game keeps a chart of every Persona and assigns a base level to them. When you select two Personas to fuse, the game takes the average of their levels, selects an Arcana based on the fusion chart in the instruction booklet, and tries to match that level to the base level of a Persona from the in-game database. Here's a quick example...

Suppose Persona A is a level 12 Fool, and Persona B is a level 16 Magician. Fusing a Fool and a Magician results in a Priestess (probably not true, but this is just an example). So, the game looks for a Priestess between levels 12 and 16. If there ARE no Priestess between 12 and 16, they give you the highest result closest to 16. Suppose the only Priestess around that level is level 18, that becomes your result.

Triangle fusion gets a little tricky, you'll have to look at an FAQ for that.

Well, I ended up having a LOT of time on my hands for S.Links because I always make it a point to rescue each victim on the first day I unlock their dungeon and then spend the rest of my time hanging out with S.Links, so I've got quite a few of them maxed out. I can help you get the other missing S.Links if don't know where they are. Which ones don't you have?

I know how to get them (Tower and Death) It's just... i didn't plan on the game ending in Dec (when did P3 end again) so I though if I put them off it would be ok. I am still debating on weather or not to do a 2nd cycle or starting fresh and trying to do thing right THEN do a 2nd cycle. (My! I can be such a NERD sometimes...)

P3 ended 1/31/2010, so you had about an extra month of game time. Well, if you do choose to do a second cycle, you can go ahead and pick the sports team and culture club you didn't join last time to get a different S.Link path. I know I'll have to do another cycle so I can get Yumi instead of Ayane.

TECHNICALLY the game doesn't 'end' on that day... but I'll leave it to you to figure out why that is. I'll just say, do NOT overwrite your last save file when you've beat the game.

............... That's the last playable day?! That means I'm almost done! is it me or does this game feel A LOT shorter than P3? If I knew the last playable day was 12/23 I would fused a lot more persona, (I only did like 5 of Margret's request) I haven't even established the Death arcana yet and I would have spent more time with my parties arcana, the only characters I have maxed are Chie and Yikiko, Rise didn't even learn Healing wave yet! I'm sad..............

If your worried about Margret's request you shouldn't. As long as your hermit is at a good level and you have some time on your hand, you can visit the TV world and level/fuse/earn money accordingly. I spent a couple of days and got Margret's social link to 9 with ease. It took my a little longer to get 10 due to levels but as you go along with the story it gets easier to level. Oh btw I would do the 2nd cycle instead of starting fresh. If you want to fight the secret boss and Margret it has to be done on the 2nd play though, unless of course you want to play the game 3 times...lol

Well, playing the game 3 times might no be SO bad, after the first time I beat the game I can just skip all the cut scenes and get through the game much faster, + I know what to expect.

BTW, I am on 11/06 (very intense scenes) but i was wondering, when Y'all got to this point in the game, how many of you characters persona evolved? right now all i have is Chie and Yukiko (Youske is at lvl 9 so hes set)

I had all of the Juniors' s.links maxed by the time I got to November and was level 8 with Rise, 6 with Naoto, only 4 with Kanji... Naoto I wouldn't worry about too much since she doesn't have elemental weaknesses anyways (though Norn is a really great persona), but Chie and Yosuke's evolved forms are very useful though since they lose their weaknesses. So you're on track for the really useful party member s.link bonuses.

Honestly, I wasn't going for a max s.link run on my first go-through, especially with 5 related stats to manage. It should be easy as pie on a 2nd run since you probably won't have to spend any time on sidejobs/reading.

Also, what's the deal with Chie going through such a dry spell of skills and then getting zomg awesome? For a long time, all she has are Black Spot and Heat Wave, then she gets God's Hand and its ridiculous DPS with Power Charge.

Back