The Ranked Junkies Thread

Ooofmatic

World Warrior
Hello. My name is OOFMATIC, and I'm a ranked junkie.

My addiction started back in late January. I logged onto SCV, and started playing Ranked. Slowly my meaningless rank went from E to D to C and eventually to the shiny gold A1 rank. To add to that, there was this little percentage number that motivated me to win. So addictive!

I managed to get to A1 on PSN, but honestly, I find that I have to wait too long on PSN ranked to get a match, and when I do there's always a big chance of a network error disconnect!

So I went to Xbox and never been back to PSN since! There's very little waiting in between matches, no disconnects aside from ragequitters (btw I <3 when people ragequit on me!), and once you set it to only fight other A ranks, you encounter quite a lot of decent dedicated players!

tl;dr I'm a ranked junkie, I love not having to wait/spectate, and I love the constant feed of different playstyles and characters while defending my %, and I love the ragequitters!

I'm currently at about 2600W 650L (80%). I would higher than 80 but my scrubby secondary characters have given me more losses than I would have liked!

I doubt there are too many of us here, but post up if you're a ranked enthusiast!

Egg you're on PSN right? I haven't been on there in months. How is ranked? Long wait times? Still lots of connection errors? Are there many skilled players on there? Maybe I'll give PSN ranked another shot sometime...

It's kinda neat, I usually have my search set to "similar" so I'm only paired up against other A ranks. Last night I encountered an A rank who I've never played before, and that was because he was an A5, a newly A rank player. He used Zwei, and surprisingly his Zwei was amazing. Perhaps the best online Zwei I've played! Anyways my point is that it's pretty interesting to only fight A ranks, and still encounter up and comers.

I actually found a way to match myself up against whoever is at the top of the leaderboard. Since the #1 spot is based on the most recent maxed A1 winner, I refresh the leaderboard until the #1 spot updates with a new name. As soon as that happens I do a ranked search and most of the time that #1 guy is who I get (since he just finished a match and is searching as well). Obviously this only works if whoever is in #1 is able to get matched up with you based on connection.

Hello all my name is Pyrrus and I'm a Ranked junkie V_V It all started when I got to B rank~ Ever since then I had made my mission to become a A1~

months later...

I have reset my data and once again Im on the climb to the coveted A1 rank~ I find it more exciting to get there than actually have it already = 3 =;;

Hey when you are poor, You take what you can get. Psn is not as good as it was when it first came out but Its still better then SC4 so I Will live. Fair amount of good players on here, but I'm betting that 360 is a better exp.

It all started when I data and once again Im on the climb to the coveted A1 rank~ I find it more exciting to get there than actually have it already = 3 =;;
Back when I played ranked on PSN, I lost all my data along with my A1 rank. So climbed the ranks and obtained it a second time. So I've achieved A1 three times total (twice on PSN, once on XBL), and honestly I don't enjoy the climb. I just don't like fighting countless scrubs among the lower levels. Most A rank players are decently skilled and it's those players that I prefer to fight. So I like that as an A rank I can choose to exclusively fight only other A ranks.

What motivates me in ranked though is the win percentage. I know that the % doesn't really mean much, because of rage quitters, or people who fight lower level players for free wins, but I actually try my best to make mine as legit as I can by only going after other A ranks. The only thing that really taints my % is when someone ragequits on me and denies me of my win, but that doesn't really bother me since I do love it when people ragequit. :)

I hate it ._. but I love hatemail and btw OOF. Sometimes I run into you in Ranked and you always kick my ass and make it look like your not even trying ;_; or I think Im about to get you and your surprise me with something XD

Although sometimes I do manage to win one round and Im content with that :)

Yep. I go to Rank for all the very same reasons. One match I'm raped, the next match I do the raping. Good variety from despair to false hope. :) I maintained A1 with my scrubby Viola. Then, I started aPat and tanked down to A5. It's evened out a bit for now. Thought I was going to end up in the B's. My percent dropped from 66% to barely 60%. I still really suck with aPat which is why I'm going to keep it up.

Yep. I go to Rank for all the very same reasons. One match I'm raped, the next match I do the raping. Good variety from despair to false hope. :) I maintained A1 with my scrubby Viola. Then, I started aPat and tanked down to A5. It's evened out a bit for now. Thought I was going to end up in the B's. My percent dropped from 66% to barely 60%. I still really suck with aPat which is why I'm going to keep it up.

Tell me about it -_-...I was attempting to play wit Cervy. It did not go well ._.; my percentage went from an 87 to 84 ;_;

I've been ranking up slowly on XBL over the life of the game. I started out baaaaad, but playing online and with great players has definitely upped my skill level. I just hit B1 over the weekend and I'm sporting a shiny 61% W/L (I know, so good rite?!?), so I'm getting close to playing against those of you who play only against A-ranks. Can't wait for the challenge!!

As for me, I find there are lots of good opponents in the different ranks, or at least good enough to beat me D: I play against all ranks so I find games as fast as possible, and against anyone rank A-C I'll play my best characters (usually Mitsurugi or Asta, but sometimes Cervantes), and then against C-E ranks I'll play secondaries I've been starting to learn. I find it keeps everything fresh and exciting, even though there are some dud matches sometimes.

I've been ranking up slowly on XBL over the life of the game. I started out baaaaad, but playing online and with great players has definitely upped my skill level. I just hit B1 over the weekend and I'm sporting a shiny 61% W/L (I know, so good rite?!?), so I'm getting close to playing against those of you who play only against A-ranks. Can't wait for the challenge!!

As for me, I find there are lots of good opponents in the different ranks, or at least good enough to beat me D: I play against all ranks so I find games as fast as possible, and against anyone rank A-C I'll play my best characters (usually Mitsurugi or Asta, but sometimes Cervantes), and then against C-E ranks I'll play secondaries I've been starting to learn. I find it keeps everything fresh and exciting, even though there are some dud matches sometimes.
Oh hey! I've seen you around ranked. Good matches I think...I lose too much lately to recall. All I want right now is to give people a run for their money.

Do you guys actually get decent fights in ranked? Maybe it's just because I live in Europe, but no one on ranked seems to know how to play.

I was worried I'd have to actually go to training and learn Ezio for the No-Hitter trophy but it was actually a really easy 10-win-streak despite me not knowing how to use him.

^ It's not a bad place to train. The good people stomp you into learning or dying. The bad people give you a chance to practice what you learned. It's like it's own ecosystem. :)

How do you get anything from playing people that are well-below your skill level? I always come out of matches like those feeling that I just completely wasted my time, I don't even bother changing up tactics much in these rare cases since just going for the most damaging attacks usually works when people are that bad...and I gain nothing from it :/

How do you get anything from playing people that are well-below your skill level? I always come out of matches like those feeling that I just completely wasted my time, I don't even bother changing up tactics much in these rare cases since just going for the most damaging attacks usually works when people are that bad...and I gain nothing from it :/
It's like training mode. Except the opponent does a little more than just stand there. I don't use it so much to learn tactics but to improve on inputs and get the timing of combos and the like. Plus, some people are predictable enough to give you a chance to experiment with punishes and follow-ups. It's also an opportunity to run into people outside of your circle. There are some occasions that you play the same two characters in a row with different players manning them. It's kind of interesting to witness the different approaches people take with the same set of moves.

Oh hey! I've seen you around ranked. Good matches I think...I lose too much lately to recall. All I want right now is to give people a run for their money.
Your tag sounds very familiar, but I don't remember who you play/don't remember specific matches :/ I'll be on the lookout for ya now though! >:)

@Wandrian, like JDub said, I use lower-rank matches to practice other techniques/characters. Sometimes that means I lose to players who I should definitely beat with Mitsu or with a character/strategy I am more familiar with, but I don't really need the win tally to validate my skill. I just play to improve myself, not necessarily the number in the top right corner. Besides, my player match W/L is well below 50%, so who cares about Ranked or whatever xD

Hi, my name's Dazzler and I'm a ranked junkie.

I used to play ranked because I didn't know anyone and I haven't got the patience for player matches unless it's a 1 v 1. Now I play just to see how long I can go on a streak for or trying to find good players I haven't played before. When you play for long enough you find yourself playing other ranked junkies and can form a non-verbal rivalry, you might even find a new friend to play with.

I think its the unpredictability that I like about ranked. You can play as hard as you want against A ranks but then you get to practice with your secondary against the lower ranks until you run into someone who low ranked but good and you think "Awww shit". I ran into Keev once but he was a C or D rank or something, I was like "Let me just practice my Maxi against this guy, he probably won't be too good". He inevitably smacked me around like a rag doll and it was gg no re. I never felt more motivated to get "good" at SC.

Back