The RPG Appreciation Thread

Alexandra

Fearless Eyes
I'll start us off:
Mass Effect 2. Sweet Jesus, I love that game. The art style and RPG/third-person shooter love child made me cry.

Valkyria Chronicles is another of my favorites and I found myself acting like my ten-year-old self while watching anime.

Dragon Age is so perfect.

Lord of the Rings the Third Age on Gamecube. I think that was my childhood.

What's a recent/soon to be released RPG with plenty of replay value that doesn't emphasize grinding? The last RPGs that really clicked with me personally were Fallout 3 & New Vegas, but the Elder Scrolls doesn't really appeal to me in spite of relative similarity in gameplay mechanics.

I've liked:
-Fallout 3 & New Vegas
-Nier

Don't really care for:
-Mass Effect
-Elder Scrolls
-Final Fantasy
-Tales series

With the exception of Final Fantasy(NOMURAAAAAA!!!), I'm not really certain why the others don't really click with me. They just kinda...aren't me, y'know?

What's a recent/soon to be released RPG with plenty of replay value that doesn't emphasize grinding? The last RPGs that really clicked with me personally were Fallout 3 & New Vegas, but the Elder Scrolls doesn't really appeal to me in spite of relative similarity in gameplay mechanics.
The only reason I've found people to prefer one over the other is the theme difference. Some like the post apocalyptic theme while others like the fantasy theme. Personally I prefer Elder Scrolls because the color palette is more than 5 shades of brown with a green tint and that Fallout having guns makes it more boring for me simply due to the fact it's combat system is based around firearms.

I've liked:
-Fallout 3 & New Vegas
-Nier

Don't really care for:
-Mass Effect
-Elder Scrolls
-Final Fantasy
-Tales series

With the exception of Final Fantasy(NOMURAAAAAA!!!), I'm not really certain why the others don't really click with me. They just kinda...aren't me, y'know?
Dragon's Dogma...sort of, but that's a fantasy game.

The only reason I've found people to prefer one over the other is the theme difference. Some like the post apocalyptic theme while others like the fantasy theme. Personally I prefer Elder Scrolls because the color palette is more than 5 shades of brown with a green tint and that Fallout having guns makes it more boring for me simply due to the fact it's combat system is based around firearms.
Elder Scrolls is so much better...

I love Dragon's Dogma. The level cap is high but you aren't required to grind. It has the best combat system out of all RPGs I've played so I play it a bunch despite the face I'm at the level cap. Just wanting for that hard mode update. xD

Does the pace of combat speed up at higher levels and against tougher enemies in Dragon's Dogma? I played the demo and I felt it had potential, but it seemed a bit sluggish for that particular brand of hack and slash. If the pace picks up I could definitely see myself playing the full game, though I do wonder a bit if I'm expecting too much(some kind of gameplay compromise between Devil May Cry and Dragon Age I guess).

Oh, and I highly recommend running through Fallout 3 or New Vegas as a Melee or Unarmed character. New Vegas does it a little bit better with perks and special attacks and it's still not anywhere near as deep as melee battles in medieval fantasy RPGs can be, but it's incredibly fun to fight with close range weapons in those games in third person view. Their combat is still heavily based on FPS mechanics and a touch of turn-based RPGs with the VATS dealie, but running around punching deathclaws to death is ridiculously fun. If you haven't played those games as wildly different character types and haven't played them without hoarding all the unique items, you haven't really played them. The difference it makes is as big as playing Soulcalibur without sidestep. Really, it is :D

Either way, the theme of Fallout is boring to me. Also, on that demo if you didn't kill that Griffin within 2 minutes you must have been doing it wrong. Enemies go down fast in that game if you know how to fight them. It isn't really a fast paced game but what RPG is? Oh and don't say Fallout. :P
You run about as fast as a slug in that game. Made traveling a chore.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the class you are in DD changes the pace of combat.

I wouldn't say Fallout 3/NV are fast-paced even as a joke or to troll, sorry. The movement speed does indeed make manual travel a chore, but moving faster would actually ruin the game. The ruins are fucking beautiful, schlepping around the wasteland for the sake of exploring it when you lack knowledge of it is amazing and I'm skeptical any other games could do that so well.

I tried the three available classes in the DD demo, they all felt a bit on the slow side for what I was hoping for. It doesn't get any more intense or faster-paced when you level up in the full game, then?

I found myself acting like my ten-year-old self while watching anime.
I know how you feel, I felt that way too when I entered my beloved RPG game & acted as it was home. Didn't bother playing anything else but my #1 RPG. Anyways, I'm having a sense that many game developers are lacking gameplay hardcore (In RPG only). I know my console Xbox 360 doesn't excel in RPG's but Skyrim was said to be the best. I sure hell didn't think it was. Along with that, I didn't last long in other RPG's that might have caught my attention, even after doing some research about it before ever buying it.

Does the pace of combat speed up at higher levels and against tougher enemies in Dragon's Dogma?
Taking only the three basic classes into account, the order goes Ranger, Warrior, Mage in terms of speed. When you unlock different occupations it allows for more variation and a faster game. Considering that it is an RPG, the game is quite fast but nowhere near as close to, say, a Capcom fighting game.

I like the PS2 RPG more fun, if Hack// ever get a sequel for the new generation I will be glad (They have a fighting game but >.> oh well.)
Skyrim...to much work, people says it is a lots of fun and is the dream of every RPG fanatic, but the true is...MMO...to PS3 and Xbox.
Last good FF, X, last tolerable XII, badly bad FF XIII and everything about it.
Hmm...Now I come to think, the good RPGs I have played lately were on PSP
Legends of Heroes: Tears of Vermilion, Monster Jewel Summoner (Dark Version of Pokemon)...I guess Tales series is not bad, but is kind of tiring to me.

No motivational to play DS, lack of story doesn't help.
Lack of tiresome EXPOSITION, you mean. There is plenty of story there, if you look for it. It's a game that rewards persistent players with more of itself.

Again, not if you want to do everything lol.

You could always try and speed run that shit, uber fun to watch

If you are referring to achievement hunting, almost every game is a grind like that. I love speed-running or Guts-running Dark Souls! There are so many ways to play that game, it's brilliant.

Back