The Rusted Repository (compiled personal designs and discussion)

Amy: Training Gear

0-AmyT03.jpg

AmyT17.jpg
AmyT07.jpg
AmyT16.jpg
AmyT01.jpg
AmyT02.jpg
AmyT11.jpg
AmyT05.jpg
AmyT10.jpg
AmyT06.jpg
AmyT12.jpg
AmyT13.jpg
AmyT14.jpg
AmyT15.jpg
AmyT09.jpg
AmyT08.jpg
AmyT04.jpg

Why God, Why!?

0-Why17.jpg

Why03.jpg
Why10.jpg
Why06.jpg
Why04.jpg
Why01.jpg
Why11.jpg
Why12.jpg
Why14.jpg
Why13.jpg
Why15.jpg
Why16.jpg
Why16.jpg
Why02.jpg

For the longest time I always thought Azwel reminded me of someone I've seen before. But it's finally clicked, which I'm sure most would say is obvious but sometimes you just have a mental block until that eureka moment. Anyway it's this guy.

Ming the Merciless.jpg

For the longest time I always thought Azwel reminded me of someone I've seen before. But it's finally clicked, which I'm sure most would say is obvious but sometimes you just have a mental block until that eureka moment. Anyway it's this guy.

View attachment 82878

Indeed! From the start with Azwel, I couldn't help but be reminded of those villains from the old western sci-fi serials--Ming the Merciless in particular. The gaudy clothing (magician meets pulp comic, meets turn-of-the-last-century pop orientalism) the over-the-top emotiveness, the too-hammy-by-half lines of dialogue: all of it just screams 30's action-adventure space opera. But if it seems obvious to you in retrospect, I'll be honest: I wasn't sure if anybody was going to catch the reference at all (even if Azwel does lean pretty hard on this aesthetic in a way you can't unsee once you see it, those characters still make for a dated call-back, despite once being a broad class of character archetype), which is why I went a little less than subtle with the name. ;) Anyway, I'm glad it connected with someone!

Raffy stardust hahaha so cool...
Once I realized the certain similarity between Raph's face and Bowie's, the rest just fell into place. :)

gipsy oracle could benefit from more varied vibrant colors...
The fact that all of her photos are night lighting conditions is probably underselling the chromacy of that outfit: the colors actually are quite vibrant. But, yeah, I can't claim to be 100% satisfied with her. I've been meaning to get around to experimenting with the base pattern on the skirt/top a little. Whatever it is that needs changing, I agree she does not "pop" as well as she could.

Azwel ... Oozes charisma
Which of the three is your favorite?

Beggars belief rac tail isn't ava. as EXeq come on it was soooo versatile...
Tell me about it: far too many great SCV ExEq missing in action in SCVI...

stickers and a bit more texturing would help give CAS more ooomph...
Meh, I know that's the received wisdom among many good CaSers, but my take is that it is very much a case-by-case call: it's definitely possible for a design to get too busy, and as a result, end up looking artificial/over-egged. In addition to that concern with original characters, there is the fact certain homage characters (those which are meant to approximate aesthetics or rendering techniques in the inspiring media) sometimes call for a more restrained approach, and can look better for it.

I think probably only about a third of my designs use all eight stickers, although 90% of my designs use four or more; only a small handful use only a few. Probably > 85% of all textures in all of my SCVI creations use a pattern, but just as often as not, they are so subtle that they are meant to be consciously missed, with just an implications of extra depth and texture. Basically, the more the design leans towards photo-realism and concepts which match up with more conventional/practical design, the more likely I am to land closer to maxing-out the stickers and patterns.

FYI: I've slowed down a bit as a consequence of other stuff going on, but still have a few dozen more coming, including some new and/or previously unshared stuff! And a bunch of dated/incomplete/experimental/conceptual stuff I'll lump together share for the sake of nostalgia and technique shop-talk. ;)

Last edited:
But if it seems obvious to you in retrospect, I'll be honest: I wasn't sure if anybody was going to catch the reference at all (it's a pretty t dated reference, even if it does point to a once-broad class of character archetype),

You forget that Calibur has a broad age demographic so us old farts are going to remember this stuff. Even though Flash Gordon is campy as hell it's still a joy to watch even now because sometimes you just want to watch a simple popcorn heroic film. RIP Max Von Sydow.

So, on the bran new stuff I will just add some brief commentary as to concept and/or technique. Though in this case, I'm not sure I know for sure who Lucas is: I reckon a warrior-scholar, mob boss, or industrialist tycoon--or else some amalgamation? Not much truly experimental going on here, but then being both subdued and detailed was the idea. Talim's moveset is (perhaps somewhat surprisingly) a pretty good match: it makes him look light on his feet, while his build and the horned variation on the brass knuckles simultaneously impart the sense of a heavy brawler. You really can get some mileage out of that suite with some clever texturing--and you know, some taste in such matters to begin with. ;)

Lucaeseon

0-Luke30.jpg

Luke47.jpg
Luke33.jpg
Luke31.jpg
Luke09.jpg
Luke26.jpg
Luke21.jpg
Luke03.jpg
Luke05.jpg
Luke07.jpg
Luke08.jpg
Luke10.jpg
Luke11.jpg
Luke15.jpg
Luke13.jpg
Luke14.jpg
Luke18.jpg
Luke17.jpg
Luke16.jpg
Luke19.jpg
Luke22.jpg
Luke20.jpg
Luke23.jpg
Luke24.jpg
Luke25.jpg
Luke35.jpg
Luke27.jpg
Luke28.jpg
Luke38.jpg
Luke34.jpg
Luke29.jpg
Luke39.jpg
Luke36.jpg
Luke37.jpg
Luke42.jpg
Luke41.jpg
Luke40.jpg
Luke43.jpg
Luke44.jpg
Luke45.jpg
Luke46.jpg
Luke48.jpg

This one is very much a work in progress still. I just can't seem to decide if she is a robot, cyborg, humanoid insect, shock trooper, Krull extra, automaton, alien, mega man foe, protoss-human hybrid, or mutant. So, still coming into focus, both thematically and technically, but I like the starting place of some of these incomplete but promising designs. And yes, for any other ecology nerds out there, I know that a 'drone' would technically be a male, but the technically-more-correct "Soldier" would just not work as well across all of those design variants.

Setsuka: Damsel

0-Damsel38.jpg

Setsuka: Drone

0-Drone05.jpg

Damsel41.jpg
Drone19.jpg
Damsel21.jpg
Damsel34.jpg
Drone17.jpg
Drone10.jpg
Damsel43.jpg
Drone12.jpg