The Ultimate Pad Configuration Scheme for Hilde

RTD

SC4 International Champ
There have been numerous people who have asked me how do I configure my buttons with Hilde.

Besides that, it has took me about a month of trial and error to come up with the ultimate Hilde configuration that addresses all of the loop holes and I'd like to share it with you all.

This configuration assumes that you are a pad player who accesses the face buttons with their thumbs.

If you use your fingers or if you have a stick, you cannot access the shoulder buttons while simultaneously pressing the face buttons, thereby, limited your options significantly.

Using your thumbs to press the face buttons allows for greater flexibility when accessing various buttons simultaneously. Specifically speaking, using your index and middle fingers for the shoulders and your thumb for the face buttons.

Also, this button configuration scheme decouples horizontals and verticals into 3 sets - throw breaking, charging and attacks.

It is best not to overload any of this sets for several reasons 1) you'll get confused what button to press for throws, charges and attacks 2) you can't simultaneously access the buttons used for throw breaking, charging and attacks 3) you'll have to release a charge before either attacking or breaking a throw

More on this later, but don't overload your charges, attacks, and throw breaking buttons!

So here goes:

shoulders
R1 - b
R2 - b
L1 - a
L2 - a+k

face buttons

Its the basic default configuration:

Square - Horizontal
Triangle - Vertical
X - Guard
Circle - Kick

Combinations

B+K = thumb
A+G = thumb
B+G = press X with thumb and R2 with middle finger(yes, it's the finger you shoot a bird with)
A+K = L2
A+B = thumb

CF
L2+R2+X

throw breaking
simply use either L2(even though L2 is mapped to A+K, it registers as an A buttons for throw breaks) or R2 for this with your middle finger. you can also do this while holding down guard! that's one of the main features of this setup. You could technically press guard and either a vertical or horizontal on the face of the controller simultaneously to break grabs while guarding, but it'd require awkward movements with your thumb. One of the main reason to have an A and B set dedicated to breaking grabs is for instant access! With your middle fingers resting on these grab break buttons, you'll be able to break grabs more efficiently at record speed because your fingers are already there!
The loop hole associated with breaking grabs with the face buttons is this:
Say if you are guarding and someone grabs you. You'd have to release guard and THEN press either A or B. Again, that's 2 steps. My configuration takes it down to 1 step.

One might also ask this, "Why not break grabs with the charge buttons?" That's simple. Because it would again take 2 steps to break the grab - release the charge and THEN press the charge button again.

My configuration takes it down to 1 step.

attacking
simply use the face buttons for your attacks

charge attacks
release the fury of these doom attacks with either L1 or R1

combos
this is obvious but the C3 B 44k... combo should be done with R1 and L1.
what's a little more tricky is the C3 B, B+K... combo.

To do this one, release C3 B with R1, and then press B+K with your thumb.

During this animation, release the A charge with L1, and then connect the C2 B,B by releasing the R1 button.

The last step is to connect C2 A,A by releasing L1.

i'll add more/edit later. when you see that this line is gone. i'm finished.

The Ultimate Pad Configuration Scheme for Hild

That's decent, but i just don't see the need for 2 B's(3 if you count face). Why not use B+G for R2?

I can understand if you pressing B+K while charging B with r1 you can attack using r2 that's my assumption. Oh and thanks RTD it freaking hard to try and use hilde with the normal config for the control

yeah I don't see a need for 3 b's, but to each their own.

I've only messed around with Hilde; how is this better than using a stick? Don't charges still reset if you hit another 'B' somewhere?

Not everyone owns a stick though, or has the money to invest in a stick. I am assuming a stick is an arcade stick right?
Yeah when you press another B it resets the charge but if your already holding a b after you the other b it starts charging. It basically like your always charging

That's decent, but i just don't see the need for 2 B's(3 if you count face). Why not use B+G for R2?

Good question and I thought about this.

It's better to decouple B+G because sometimes you may want to throw and sometimes you may wish to guard while mashing B for throw breaks.

If you map R2 to B+G, the throw animation will come out while holding guard. This is what you don't want because you want to guard.

But if you press guard first, and then mash R2 assuming it's B, Hilde will remain guarding.

For breaking throws, you can't use the face B button because it's difficult for your thumb to access guard and B at the same time.

And you don't want to use the charged B because you'll have to release it - which causes Hilde to do a charge animation btw - and then press it again to break throws.

That extra milli second where you release a charge to break a throw isn't recommended because it turns into a TWO step process to break throws.

If you have a separate button to break throws, it will only be a 1 step process, thereby making your throw breaking more efficient.

Is there anyone who can explain how having 2 sets of A and Bs can address all of the loop holes I've mentioned with respect to throw breaking, charging and attacking?

I've given it serious thought and I'm pretty sure that I can point out a loop hole in your logic with just 2 sets of A and B.

Yes, BUT if you are charging an attack, and you want to do a normal attack with either A or B, you'd have to release that charge attack first and THEN do the normal attack.

It's best if you keep your options open by having the flexibility to do a charge attack OR a normal attack, THUS the additional A and B button sets ;)

RTD you are actually completely correct, and I considered changing my layout to take away the B+G throw. The only reason I haven't is because I decided I do not want to mash throw breaks while I am guarding. To me it feels counter productive since when I do that I tend to freeze up and if a throw doesn't happen I lose a charge and potentially I get hit with something I would normally avoid

Instead I keep the B+G where it is and use it or the face button b to break throws on reaction. I have been working on that and I am pleased with the results so far. So I take back what I said earlier, your way is solid and probably better overall than mine.

I use the following control scheme:
LT/L2 - B
LB/L1 - B+G
RT/R2 - A
RB/R1 - A+K
face buttons - default
I use LB and RB for CFs, and I do A+B, B+K, and A+G manually using my thumb on the face buttons. I keep my index fingers on the bumbers, and my middle fingers on the triggers. I use triggers strictly for charges, which I maintain at all times. I break throws with face buttons, because I can almost always break them on reaction, except for Ivy's throws, and I guess you'd need to mash during guard if you're playing online.

I don't think you mentioned CFs in your post, which I had a hard time doing while holding my fingers on the triggers. I used to have A+B set up to RB/R1 for convenience, but when I would let go of the triggers to mash all four face buttons, I would let off a charge.

The only negative thing I can get from this is that if you configure your control to this you pretty much have to play as hilde other wise your going to screw up your moves with your other characters. I say this from experience with using my vader.

I use my Hilde scheme for all characters without a problem.

I use my Hilde scheme for all characters without a problem.

Same here, that's why i kind of want to keep my B+G on R2.

@RTD~I see what you are saying about the throw breaks, but if you just sit and mash B, you're still going to eat an A+G. Unless you could process that you aren't breaking the throw fast enough to mash A. That being said, you waste your charge everytime you hit B and like Ceirnian stated, it almost seems counter-productive imo.

Same here, that's why i kind of want to keep my B+G on R2.
@RTD~I see what you are saying about the throw breaks, but if you just sit and mash B , you're still going to eat an A+G.

Like I've mentioned in the original post, you can use L2 to break A throws and R2 to break b throws.

Psylocide said:
Unless you could process that you aren't breaking the throw fast enough to mash A. That being said, you waste your charge everytime you hit B and like Ceirnian stated, it almost seems counter-productive imo.

You will lose your charge with this technique but you'll be able to break throws instantly giving you frame advantage.

And keep in mind that breaking throws on reaction requires reflexes. If you have the reflexes to break throws on the very first frame giving you frame advantage every time, more power to you! Good luck with Ivy and Asty on that!

The only negative thing I can get from this is that if you configure your control to this you pretty much have to play as hilde other wise your going to screw up your moves with your other characters. I say this from experience with using my vader.

No, this configuration is the default scheme with the exception of shoulder buttons. You will not have a problem with other characters.
RTD you are actually completely correct, and I considered changing my layout to take away the B+G throw. The only reason I haven't is because I decided I do not want to mash throw breaks while I am guarding. To me it feels counter productive since when I do that I tend to freeze up and if a throw doesn't happen I lose a charge and potentially I get hit with something I would normally avoid

Instead I keep the B+G where it is and use it or the face button b to break throws on reaction. I have been working on that and I am pleased with the results so far. So I take back what I said earlier, your way is solid and probably better overall than mine.

I like the idea of maintaining a charge and breaking grabs on reaction. At this point, it's a matter of preference.

I just prefer to have a technique to break grabs instantly to get an advantage rather than relying on my shitty reflexes ;) Besides, having a technique to break grabs will make you online compatible!

But you seem to be doing well with her so don't change a thing!
LB/L1 - B+G
RT/R2 - A
RB/R1 - A+K
face buttons - default
I use LB and RB for CFs, and I do A+B, B+K, and A+G manually using my thumb on the face buttons. I keep my index fingers on the bumbers, and my middle fingers on the triggers. I use triggers strictly for charges, which I maintain at all times. I break throws with face buttons, because I can almost always break them on reaction, except for Ivy's throws, and I guess you'd need to mash during guard if you're playing online.

I don't think you mentioned CFs in your post, which I had a hard time doing while holding my fingers on the triggers. I used to have A+B set up to RB/R1 for convenience, but when I would let go of the triggers to mash all four face buttons, I would let off a charge.

Nice. This falls in line with most Hilde configurations. I use X(guard) + L2(A+K) + R2(B) to CF.

The only difference between your config and mine is that I have another set of A and B for throw breaks. But I do recommend making throw breaking a technique because if you do, it will become a good habit, and you'll start breaking throws without thinking about it, even as you age;)

Not everyone owns a stick though, or has the money to invest in a stick. I am assuming a stick is an arcade stick right?
Yeah when you press another B it resets the charge but if your already holding a b after you the other b it starts charging. It basically like your always charging

Well, a stick or claw style on a pad; they're about equivalent for playing Soul Calibur. But I didn't know that about the instant charging; that's hella nice.

Yes, BUT if you are charging an attack, and you want to do a normal attack with either A or B, you'd have to release that charge attack first and THEN do the normal attack.

It's best if you keep your options open by having the flexibility to do a charge attack OR a normal attack, THUS the additional A and B button sets ;)

I see. I'll have to give something like this a try, should help out my Hilde game a lot, haha. Thanks!

I just prefer to have a technique to break grabs instantly to get an advantage rather than relying on my shitty reflexes ;)

Also, this is me. :(

I know its a default except for the should buttons but I use the shoulder buttons in my combos with Vader. It help with shortcuts to combos such as 6b Bg bb etc. Instead of pushing B then sliding to push g I just push the B+G button. Its easier than moving my thumb in an awkward position. Plus the taunt button can do instant force moves after B. That's the only reason I said that with your configuration I cant really play with other characters. My muscle memory will screw me over by throwing out A+K instead of B+G. I will use your configuration when I use hilde though to see if I can learn her well enough to play against her

OMG! how could I forget this?

Another reason to have an A and B set dedicated to breaking grabs is for instant access! duh?

With your middle fingers resting on these grab break buttons, you'll be able to break grabs more efficiently at record speed because your fingers are already there!

The loop hole associated with breaking grabs with the face buttons is this:

Say if you are guarding and someone grabs you. You'd have to release guard and THEN press either A or B.

Again, that's 2 steps.

Also, think about the distance that your thumb has to travel when going from guard to either A or B. Since B is further away from the guard button, it would take you more time to reach B than A.

With my ultimate configuration, you can address this issue and still break grabs on reaction or you can nOOb it out and mash like me.

Again, my configuration gives you this flexibility. I'm telling you, it's the best way to go.

It's possible to hold A/x for guard and still press Y/triangle, at least for me. Maybe I have small fingers or something.

Do you get frame advantage for breaking throws immediately?

It's possible to hold A/x for guard and still press Y/triangle, at least for me. Maybe I have small fingers or something.

Do you get frame advantage for breaking throws immediately?

Yes you do. Have you ever noticed that when you break a throw late, you'll sit on the floor? At that time, you are negative.

And are you referring to pressing guard, A or B with your thumb simultaneously? Pressing A and G is easy with your thumb but to press B and G, you'd have to shift your thumb slightly to press the B button. Some people can do it but it's just an awkward technique.

MJ: this is just a derivative of your config;)

I've come to the conclusion that I prefer my configuration more and that having a 3rd B isn't really worth it. When you are holding guard and need to press the b buton rapidly to early break a grab, you can easily do it with the charge button (for me R1 is B). If I need to break a grab on reaction I have 2 other buttons I can be pressing.

Back