The Walking Dead Games

...I thought Braid was expertly done...
And you are entitled to your opinion. Thing is though, I don't understand what kind of a defense that is. "Expertly done"? What does that even mean? It's "plot(?)" is a prime benefactor of "it's vague so it's good" syndrome. And it's plot is all I'm addressing. Come on man, can you honestly defend the bad atom bomb allegories?

If I may quote Gamesradar for a moment:

Boring. Full-of-itself. Distilled snobbery. Tedious, frustrating and filled with laughably emo prose.

That’s how I feel about Braid, a game I excitedly bought and downloaded the very first day of release. I have made three separate attempts over the last seven months to give the game a fair shake, but its pretention and obliquely maddening puzzles turned me off every time. I realized I was forcing myself to like something just because everyone else loved it.

That’s the biggest problem with Braid: you're not allowed to hate it. I think many gamers and journalists honestly love this game, but I also believe that many jumped on a "games as art" bandwagon. Add to that all the press Braid’s creator, Jonathan Blow, got as the poor little auteur making it all by himself and, suddenly, you look like a cruel monster for criticizing it.

Braid may have fooled the world into liking it, but the avalanche of praise stops here. Not because I'm not getting the dense meanings of it - oh, the guy lost a girl, but in reality he is chasing this girl in reverse, accidentally making himself the hero and the villain of his own game! And oh, isn’t the stage layout just so chic with the Donkey Kong and Mario Bros. references!

Blargh. I may be glad that this game exists more than, say, a new Army Men title, but it needs to get over itself big time.

And you are entitled to your opinion. Thing is though, I don't understand what kind of a defense that is. "Expertly done"? What does that even mean? It's "plot(?)" is a prime benefactor of "it's vague so it's good" syndrome. And it's plot is all I'm addressing. Come on man, can you honestly defend the bad atom bomb allegories?

I could have said a lot more, but my meaning by "expertly done" was that the entire experience, for me, was very effective.

I enjoy vagueness when done well. I enjoy the lore, characters and plot of Dark Souls, and I found the mysteries hidden in Braid interesting enough. It is much more difficult to write a layered story such as that than a traditional. straightforward one, and I thought that while it stumbled in some places (some of those written sections were tired, others I felt were brilliant) it is much harder for me to fault him for trying.

Is Braid pretentious? Sure, why not. Do I think it is the "true art" the gaming world loves to latch on to? Nope. What I will say is that is HAS beautiful art, excellent music, effective mechanics, difficult puzzles and an interesting story. It's a mystery hidden in a cutesy platformer with a genuinely awe-inspiring final section.

Hmm from what im reading Ghengis is just hard to please which isnt a bad thing and i too enjoyed saints row the third and probably put the same amount of hours into that game like he did LOL. However, I enjoy games when they are fun and when they are engaging and like he said different strokes for different folks but I think Journey was an experience I will never forget and it hit the mark very well. Just like flower which to me is still probably one of my favorite games that came out this gen and i play it from time to time. Journey is my second favorite game next to flower since it was a unique experience. Just sometimes when i play games I want to be engaged in different ways and TWD came at a right time when I wanted to see a story and gut wrenching moments. As for saints row... I just wanna blow crap up for fun xD and in the end it just depends on my mood when it comes to games xD.

Hmm from what im reading Ghengis is just hard to please which isnt a bad thing and i too enjoyed saints row the third and probably put the same amount of hours into that game like he did LOL. However, I enjoy games when they are fun and when they are engaging and like he said different strokes for different folks but I think Journey was an experience I will never forget and it hit the mark very well. Just like flower which from time to time i play and that is still probably one of my favorite games that came out this gen. Journey is second to flower for me. Just sometimes when i play games I want to be engaged in different ways so TWD came at a right time when I wanted to see a story and gut wrenching moments and saints row... I just wanna blow crap up for fun xD. It just depends on my mood when it comes to games xD.

I enjoyed flower and the Deckers mission in SRTT is probably my favorite mission in any game ever at this point (if not it's in a close tie). My hat's off to you on your good taste sir.

Back