Tira Meter Usage

KingofBreaker

[08] Mercenary
I was wondering how everyone utilizes Tira's meter in matches? Despite how versatile her CE is, I very rarely, if ever, use it except in extremely obvious punish situations. I almost always save my meter for JS 66B BE and her GS 66B BE. JS 66BE is a great way to switch to Gloomy and do some serious damage and a GS 66B BE that fully connects can eat half your opponents life in the blink of an eye. Also, I usually keep enough meter for one 236K BE. It hits low, comes out really fast, and surprises a lot of people and boom, I'm in Gloomy.

Just curious as to what other Tira's strategies are.

I pretty much only use meter to switch to gloomy. 66B BE, 236K BE, and CE punishes while in jolly are about 90% of my meter usage. The remaining 10% are finishing blow CE either on reaction to an attack that I can beat with a CE, or as a combo ender if I think it'll end the round. I'm to the point where I consider the first round as a free round for my opponent. All i want is to build up meter for later rounds so i can stay in gloomy stance. If I manage to eek out a win, i can just switch to gloomy in the post-round time.

Better players than me will find smarter ways to use the meter, but I find it so hard to compete in JS that I just hoard meter to keep myself gloomy as much as possible

It really depends for me.

I usually try to keep my meter for usage in combos, my main one right now being JS 66B BE, BT B+K, 66B to get into gloomy. Otherwise I'll try to random proc it with 66B, 4K. Rarely will I ever use 236K BE, I agree it's good for a quick hit and most people fall for it but the damage is negligible.

In Jolly I use 236k BE and 66b BE.
In both I use 22a, CE. Damage is acceptable in Jolly for the added bonus of Gloomy transition and a knockdown. In Gloomy I do it just for the sheer damage.
Rarely will I ever use 236K BE, I agree it's good for a quick hit and most people fall for it but the damage is negligible.
Damage isn't the point though. It's probably the most reliable way to go gloomy since other methods rely on you opponent fucking up more.

I pretty much only use meter to switch to gloomy. 66B BE, 236K BE, and CE punishes while in jolly are about 90% of my meter usage. The remaining 10% are finishing blow CE either on reaction to an attack that I can beat with a CE, or as a combo ender if I think it'll end the round.

So do you do JS 66B BE raw to get to Gloomy or in a combo? I don't know if I could justify 1 meter for ~60 damage on that JS CE. I think I'd probably try the ~38(?) damage 236K BE. I suppose if it works for you keep it up dude, but I think I'm less of a burner when it comes to spending meter. I don't mind playing around in Jolly.

It really depends for me. I usually try to keep my meter for usage in combos, my main one right now being JS 66B BE, BT B+K, 66B to get into gloomy. Otherwise I'll try to random proc it with 66B, 4K. Rarely will I ever use 236K BE, I agree it's good for a quick hit and most people fall for it but the damage is negligible.

Like I asked justalex, do you do your JS 66B BE straight up or after a confirmed 66B? And proc it with 66B, 4K? You mean you do JS 66B, 4K trying to get to Gloomy? Seems like you'd leave a lot of damage on the table with little mixup ability afterwards. Do you know how often you pull off the stance change with that combo?

In both I use 22a, CE. Damage is acceptable in Jolly for the added bonus of Gloomy transition and a knockdown. In Gloomy I do it just for the sheer damage.

Gah, I like the idea of using a Jolly CE for the transition and knockdown but it seems like such a waste of meter!

So do you do JS 66B BE raw to get to Gloomy or in a combo? I don't know if I could justify 1 meter for ~60 damage on that JS CE. I think I'd probably try the ~38(?) damage 236K BE. I suppose if it works for you keep it up dude, but I think I'm less of a burner when it comes to spending meter. I don't mind playing around in Jolly.

I'm OK burning meter just to get into gloomy. I find that after the first round I can almost always keep 1 meter to get into gloomy really quickly whenever I need. 66B BE is fairly safe on block ( only -6) so I don't mind doing it raw. I (generally) won't throw out a random CE, so I usually use the JS CE out of a 22 A punish as the stun is just long enough to score the CE cleanly or after getting a 3B. Maybe I leave some damage out there and give up a mixup opportunity, but I feel confident enough in my GS play to make up for it.

Unrelated, but I haven't had a chance to test this yet and am curious if it works. According to the guide, A out of Updraft can cause a stance change. If I do a crouching B, K, A, will that cause a side change, or does the crouching B,K not count as a true Updraft?

I originally only used it to switch to Gloomy, and a CE to end the game in style (no style, no point)

I've recently found myself more comfortable in Jolly, maybe even more so then Gloomy, so I've been using my meter to do JS combos that end putting me back in JS.
Example: JS 66B, 66B BE, GS B+K, 666B BE back to JS
What's fun is that sometimes it changes: JS 66B, 66B BE, GS B+K, JS 66B BE, GS B+K, 666B BE to Jolly

The second is probably my favorite combo because of it's style, but it will only work if Tira decides she wants to, because the mid combo change to Jolly after the headbutt isn't a very high chance. I've gotten it twice and both times it looked amazing.

Unrelated, but I haven't had a chance to test this yet and am curious if it works. According to the guide, A out of Updraft can cause a stance change. If I do a crouching B, K, A, will that cause a side change, or does the crouching B,K not count as a true Updraft?
The rising B, K, A will shift stances quite reliably. Doing B after the B,K will give more damage and keep you in whatever stance you are in. You can also do this on a 9K counter hit into updraft.

236K and her CE are most definitely exploited in my play. JS 66B BE is sometimes used for approach (and possible high damage) if I'm following up a knockdown and have meter to spare, and moves such as GS 666B BE and GS 3AA BE are usually reserved for trying to ensure a kill.

Also it may just be me, but I feel like I build meter very quickly: if it's not the first round, I almost always have as much as I need on demand.

Also it may just be me, but I feel like I build meter very quickly: if it's not the first round, I almost always have as much as I need on demand.

No dude I totally feel you on this. Then again, it's probably because I use it all in combos for that guaranteed extra damage... Regardless, huzzah for meter!

I agree. The first round is easily the hardest one for me. Stuck in Jolly with no meter D:

Back