Top Soul Crush Characters

Omnis_Evrae

[08] Mercenary
Critical Finish focused characters have always been my bag, not necessarily there to win with CF's, but to mentally strain your opponent, forcing them to respect your play style.

I've never really seen a "top CF characters" list, and although mainly unnecessary as a whole, I think it would be fun to hear some opinions of others here who might be more experienced, or inexperienced, doesn't matter, it doesn't have to be a universal list. The main purpose is to maybe shed some light on certain characters CF abilities, possibly making players use the character in a more flexible manner.

Zasalamel's SG damage game is not exactly necessary, but his SG damage moves are VERY viable, and practical. For example his 4B+K crushes in 9.5, it's NCC, launches, safe on block due to pushback (besides Starkillers A+B), tracks very nicely, and the second hit reaches out farther than the first. 6BA has a solid TC, lasting from i12-i21, and crushes in 8.5 hits if he doesn't duck, but you can choose not to do the A anyway.

This is going to be a rough Top 5 List, and anyone is open to discuss about my list, or maybe make their own

1. Voldo - A LOT of his moves soul crush around the 10 mark and lower and most of those moves would have been great anyway without the Soul Gauge properties, but really did you expect anyone else?

2. Xianghua - Her 4B6B breaks in 5, is 0 on GRD, and she can mix it up with 4BB (breaks in 5.3) for people expecting the long wait on 4B6B. SXSC B is a staple in X's moveset, +20 on GRD and breaks in 8. 66A+K isn't particularly a great SC move (breaks in 15), but on wake up if someone blocks it, she can use fear of her i11 A to her advantage and continue pressure on the soul gauge. A+KB+K is also good for wake up and breaks in 8, A+K[B+K] is the mixup for A+KB+K and also breaks in 8.

3. Setsuka - Dawn Haze (214) gives her WR/WC moves better soul gauge damage properties. DH 3B:B crushes in 11, practicly TC's all the way through, and has really great range. 3B is a super safe launcher that crushes in 10. 22BB is quick, its a NC and crushes in 7, 22B is for people who duck punish 22BB and is still at a reasonable 13 hits to break the gauge. 44B has fear advantage and breaks in 10. These moves may not look much considering its in the "10 hit" range but Setsuka is known for her ability to continuously space the opponent, allowing her to attack with these moves more often, giving her a deadly CF game.

4. Seong Mi-na - Her wake up game consists of mainly force blocks that usually break at around 6-10. She has the ability to space most the cast using long range soul crush moves. Sorry for not being too specific about her, Idk much about her but I trust the things offline-only Seong Mi-nas say.

5. Lizardman - Due to the safety and pushback of alot of his SC moves that break in about 10, in addition to 4A_4AB, 22B (+2 on GRD, breaks in 10), 66B (staple wake up tool, breaks in 10) and 44B (a completely safe launcher that can deal up to 70 damage, breaks gauge at 8, and TJ's), I'm inclined to put him on this list.

I was hard pressed to either choose LM or Hilde, she probably does have better soul crush properties, but I haven't seen many Hilde's take advantage of it, relying more on her whiff punish aspect. I never realized her SG damage was that good!

Damn namco for giving a character so many positive attributes -.-

Xiang is very good to break the gauge but, if i correctly remember my personal tests, she is affected by the ps3 practice bug. So you have to make a replay after every movement test, if not the game consider opponets gauge is already broken and you obtains wrong scores. I'll hope my english was clear, sorry if not ;)

How come there is no Ivy? She's top when it comes to SG damage without a question.

I agree, Ivy is easily top 3 in the game at Soul Crush. Not higher than Voldo, but higher than X for sure.

The problem with X is that every string she has is either interruptible or GI-able. That's why she has the SXS cancels. But it hurts her gauge game a lot even though she still has one worth using.

In my opinion I'd say top 5 are, Voldo, Mina, Ivy, Sophitia, and Siegfried

1. Voldo:
makes you block due to his good damage. Quick, safe moves that destroy the gauge. His B+K is stupid good post GI on hit AND block.

2. Seong Mina:
everything she uses to crush the gauge is either safe or extremely practical. You get knocked down, you lose 1/6 of your gauge from a force block. Her horizontals are better at SG than some characters' verticals

3. Ivy:
Good SG from every stance. Whip constricts movement to force a linear game. SW BB is stupid good on SG and forces you to block both. Force blocks.

4. Sophitia:
4B+K, 66B+K, 66B, 4[A], B+K B, etc. She has good enough spacing to annoy you enough to start blocking these more. And TAS B. You WILL block TAS B at some point. TAS B breaks in 15 but since she'll probably make you block something else next it's actually something to consider. And B+K, B breaks in 6 though it's super unsafe.

5. Siegfried:
One of those characters that instills enough fear advantage to really get away with wrecking the gauge. B:4, 22_88B, SBH B, SCH B/SCH , etc. agA and 6A do well to keep movement somewhat in check.

Actually now that I've made this list it was hard to figure out #5.

Ivy's SG damage isn't as good as Voldo's, but it's not far from him either. She has more than 20 moves that break SG in 10 (single hits, no multi-hits with a possibility to GI) and 5 that break in 9, including WP 6B+K2_8 and WP 44A+B,A+B which break in 9 and push opponent to the other side of the stage. Another good example is SW BB. i15 mid that breaks in 10. You can literally spam BB until they die, and not only this move is so fast, it also tracks steppers. And there is also SW 1_2_3B+K which breaks in 9 and can be used as a forced block after many combos. Ivy's SG damage comes with huge pushback on block making it even more dangerous.

Not sure when it breaks but CL 1BB+K is definately spammable and 2nd hit is garaunteed on grd if the first hit is guarded, this move also has relatively good pushback on grd and hit... The move is safe, hits grounded so it can be safely used on wake-up, 2nd hit only on CH is a KND, and it does OK damage from what I've seen, it's a very effective move... I never did Ivy's SCD but when I get to it expect some more input... Good thread Omnis... Minor change, Liz's 22B is +2 on grd (even more deadly)... Mi-Na's force blocks consist mainly of 44A+B = breaks in 6 & 66A+B = breaks in 8 (I think it breaks in 8)...

CL 1BB+K breaks in about 15, thanks for the update about 22B... I actually didn't think it was positive on grd

Yeah Ivy is definitely number 2 on my list with only Voldo beating her out. She has too much going on in CF strategy.

SW BB, 3B, 1_2_3B+K
CL 1BB+K
WP 6B+K2_8, 44A+B

Are all insanely good for CF, as well a lot of her moves she winds up using tend to be moves that break 10-20 anyway and build it up for you. CF ing with her is extremely common and a valid strategy to push for at the start fo a match.

its fair to say voldo is top, but i dont play any voldo's.
ivy, sophie and mi-na come to mind when i think about flashing guages.
id say ivy, also her cf looks coolest.

Back