[Toronto] The Race to 10,000 Mountain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Partisan you can do it. Take them all out, especially woahhzz (cause he sucks), don't spare anyone. We're all rooting for you.

Haven't post here in a while. I was busy a while ago especially on weekends but I still go to A&C either Monday or Wednesday. The sad thing is nobody seems to be there. Just this monday I went and see Russel playing MvC and Franz playing VF, Sc is like dead. So I won't be checking A&C regularly anymore until I know somebody will be there.

I'll be stopping by A&C today. Hope to see some SC there.

Edit - It will depend on the weather. I'm planning to bike if I go, which is a 45 min ride, so if it looks like it's gonna rain then I won't be going.

I'll be at A&C around 6-7 today barring a few things I have to take care of.

SilentWall: Hell yes I will take the futurepress guide!

Harry you missed like the last 3 weeks I took my system to A&C lol! Btw Sunny is holding on to your MK while I'm gone.

OOF - Yeah man, I'm gonna do my best at Evo. Not gonna win (lol), but my main goal is to make it out of pools. I'll be back in Toronto for a week or so right after so we can get some games in then :).

Partisan, be sure to work on the Viola matchup. There are just too many Viola's out there.... kayane, lp, rtd, keev, and others lol. You can win this. Just, believe! And 236236B:4.

More than likely, SC players should not come on Wednesdays.
1, i don't have a system for you guys to use. 2, nobody will show up so there's no point.
Everybody up and left. If you are playing KOF, VF or Capcom games, feel free to pass by.

NeoRussell

I'll be in Toronto from Nov 7 till the 15!

I have zero problems playing VF money matches too. :D

Partisan you're going to Rape Your Pool. And You Will Make it all the Way. You are Gohan, strongest Z Fighter.

Oof/Russ - You both know neither of you would have got 3rd because I would have been there. I think I can beat Pyro if I use Natsu. It all depends on my PO A:6.

SC Is not Dead. Its just hard to get everyone on the same day.

Really.

Dino: You will never win any tournaments cause you never show up. This is not just me who thinks this.

SC is dead because the community allows it to be dead. If it wasn't then people would show up for gatherings or even make gatherings outside of A&C. That's not happening from what i can see.

NeoRussell

Reactions: LP
Well here's my thought on how I think ppl become so good.

When I look at OOF how he became so good he was a very dedicated player willing to sacrifice other things like school to become and even top level player. He knows what to study, to deal with things and plan ahead in situations. Thing is now OOF has a family and has proven to ppl who would thought of him as loser that he's an awesome gamer beyond that. However, for him being a family man he has to sacrifce some time from SC and I felt that he wasn't as good as he use to be. TBH I want OOF to be 1st in that local tourney but being beaten by Partisan and Pyroscrub, I felt that he lost that spark and he is the one with the most history of tournament play.

Then comes ppl like Partisan very much like OOF and perhaps serves as Canada's top generation of Canadian SC players hence you see how he post vids (not the ones that meant for lawls) the ones that guide ppl how to play as well as some in-depth game mechanics. Him showing those vids as guides just shows that he's just as dedicated, motivated and if I were to assume, he has more time studying this game than what OOF did back then. Hence I always see him on PSN playing and perhaps studying SC5 as well as hanging in the SC forums. He has become a top player in such a short time since SC4, I even had my doubts at first but he has proven through time and I'm convinced that he has already proven top.

When I look at myself I feel that my level of competence isn't on par with them because I wasn't as dedicated and motivated to be the very best of the best. In my mind, I already set myself a bar I want to reach to and it's no higher than Partisan's and OOF's. There are other things I want to be good at for the sake of making video games better for everyone but most importantly for me to make my own living. Unlike OOF at that time school is something I don't want to sacrifice and I probably think if DINO does what OOF did I think he would be top.

Russel I dont need to win Tournaments to know I'm better than You and everyone in the Community Cept Partisan and Stryder.

And the reason no one shows up to Tournaments is because Truly there really isnt any Tournaments. If SC is usually at a Tourney where a whole bunch of other games are going on, and SC is on the BAck Burner, less people show. (ie 10 venue fee, 2 setups, and one of em Oof is hogging, etc)

Also like I've stated before, Wed/Mon @ A/C is not ideal for a lot of people. Nor can alot of staple people even make it some weekends (Me, Oof, Wallace, etc)....

As for gatherings, I'd gladly be running Tourneys if I didnt have a collapsing PS3. OR if I even had slightly more time on my hands.

I just dont like it when someone that claims to be a FGC member simply does not care about the game, and well consider it "DEAD" because other games are out and SC doesnt matter.

I guess I'll have to take it on myself....again...

Dino, i'll give you 2 to 1 odds in all of those games. Don't do it cause you'll just lose and embarrass yourself.

In any case, If days are the issue for gatherings, I stand by my word that nobody is setting something up.
The community is dead because the community allows it to be dead.

If anybody wants to play VF5 (somewhat the same as SCV but better), feel free to send me a msg.
We'll practice and wait for SCV2 or something.

In my humblest opinion SCV in Toronto is dead unless i'm proven otherwise.

NeoRussell

More than likely, SC players should not come on Wednesdays.
1, i don't have a system for you guys to use. 2, nobody will show up so there's no point.
Everybody up and left. If you are playing KOF, VF or Capcom games, feel free to pass by.
Russell - Two people were gonna show up on Wednesday (myself and southernontario). 3 people if we count you, 4 if thinkingofaname would come like he hinted he would. So I don't get why you would tell us not to come and that you wouldn't have a system because "the community is dead". You're helping contribute to it being dead by telling people not to come just because you seem to think that 2 people doesn't warrant SC. 2 people is the minimum you need for SC.
Well here's my thought on how I think ppl become so good.

When I look at OOF how he became so good he was a very dedicated player willing to sacrifice other things like school to become and even top level player. He knows what to study, to deal with things and plan ahead in situations. Thing is now OOF has a family and has proven to ppl who would thought of him as loser that he's an awesome gamer beyond that. However, for him being a family man he has to sacrifce some time from SC and I felt that he wasn't as good as he use to be. TBH I want OOF to be 1st in that local tourney but being beaten by Partisan and Pyroscrub, I felt that he lost that spark and he is the one with the most history of tournament play.

Then comes ppl like Partisan very much like OOF and perhaps serves as Canada's top generation of Canadian SC players hence you see how he post vids (not the ones that meant for lawls) the ones that guide ppl how to play as well as some in-depth game mechanics. Him showing those vids as guides just shows that he's just as dedicated, motivated and if I were to assume, he has more time studying this game than what OOF did back then. Hence I always see him on PSN playing and perhaps studying SC5 as well as hanging in the SC forums. He has become a top player in such a short time since SC4, I even had my doubts at first but he has proven through time and I'm convinced that he has already proven top.

When I look at myself I feel that my level of competence isn't on par with them because I wasn't as dedicated and motivated to be the very best of the best. In my mind, I already set myself a bar I want to reach to and it's no higher than Partisan's and OOF's. There are other things I want to be good at for the sake of making video games better for everyone but most importantly for me to make my own living. Unlike OOF at that time school is something I don't want to sacrifice and I probably think if DINO does what OOF did I think he would be top.

franman - While I understand your post was in good intentions, please don't mention my name so much when you don't know me that well. Me "sacrificing school" to be a top player was an exaggeration that was made a long time ago that a couple of people ended up taking too seriously. I guess that's how rumors get started. I actually had many personal reasons for not agreeing with the school system, which I won't get into. As for my current abilities in regards to me not training enough, well guess what, I do train, every day I play online for hours. I've haven't gone a day yet without playing online. I play all the time on Xbox Live, that's why you never see me on PSN. I don't play as much as I did in SC4, SC3 or no where close to how much I played in SC2, but I still play it quite a lot. To say that I don't train or play competitively anymore is misinforming. Especially since I've been traveling for SC5 (MLG Columbus, MLG Anaheim). And you should consider other factors as to why I'm being held back in tournament placements, such as using a low tier, random-luck based character (not that I'm complaining about that). Also there is nothing that proves that Partisan is a hands down better player than me like you keep stating. I'm not saying that he isn't, he probably is, but there are no actual stats or evidence aside from one tournament where we didn't even play (Toryuken), where he got first, while I got 3rd. Until we sit down and play a good set, there is no actual evidence to show who's better than who, just speculation.

Actually, there is evidence, the 8wr Rankings:

76th OOFMATIC

82nd Partisan

As it stands I'm officially better than Partisan. :)

Anyways here is the real hard undesirable truth reason why the community is dying, dying so early too compared to any of the previous SC's:

ONLINE.

People don't want to admit it, but online is the reason the offline scene is dying (not just in Toronto, but everywhere - I've talked to people about this @ MLG). Online is at a point where it is good enough to exclusively train on, and then go out to a major tournament and place well if not win. Meeting people offline to train just isn't necessary anymore to become a top player.

Consider this comparison: For me it takes almost an hour to travel to the gathering at A&C, requires me to spend $5 on venue, $6.20 on TTC travel, more $ on food while I'm out, all that to play with people some who are antisocial, or even some people who don't want to play me (there are a couple of people at A&C who refuse to play me because I'm too competitive and I play to win too often).

Compared to:

Stay at home in my comfort zone, have a constant stream of fights and rarely having to wait much for my turn (by playing ranked or 1v1), have access to replays that I can study (a benefit online has over offline), no traveling to play with some people who I wouldn't hang out with otherwise, no venue fee, and voice chat if I need to talk strats or anything to anyone.

Online is killing the offline scene, it was inevitable, and it's happening now.

There are 3 incentives that can keep the offline scene alive:

Tournaments / Ranking system - Having more regular monthly or bimonthly tournaments will keep people interested in coming to offline sessions and seeing how far their online training has gotten them. A ranking system would work better on a weekly basis. So having someone commit to organizing and maintaining a ranking system at A&C would be the key to this.

Elite players showing up - An incentive for someone to choose to go to an offline session over training at home online is to play against the best of the best. If top players showed up more regularly, not only would it level up weaker players, but it would spark other top players to go to have sessions with them. I admit I'm guilty of not going by this, but I have other reasons for not coming, which I'm sure other top players have too.

Non-SC focused hangouts - Ask yourself, if it weren't for SC, would you have been friends with some of these SC players otherwise? Would you be able to hang out without playing SC as the main focus? What else do you have in common with some of these players? Smoking weed? Sports? Music/concerts? Or just that your personalities go well with each other? If SC's primary training method is becoming online, then we need other reasons to meet up and keep in touch offline. SC can still be a part of it, but there just needs to be more.

Just to clear things out of the cloud.

You mistook me for saying Partisan is better than you, but I was under the assumption that he took more time in the game in his own hands than you did and though he did came in first and you came in 3rd just behind PyroZamfir I didn't say Partisan is the overall better player and even if I did say that it would be at that time. Point is I didn't literally post that Partisan is better than you (yes the 'overall better' one I'm referring to).

Also you seem to think as if I was saying you didn't practice enough or play competitively anymore well again you're overthinking what I'm thinking... of course I still think you play and spend a lot of time but not as much as you did back then, you even admitted that in your post.

I still think you're a top player but you lost a bit of that spark because you've got family to deal with, but that doesn't mean to apply by logic that Partisan is the better player; look at RTD, he's a family man himself and he can still do so well in SC5 I believe you can too.

Though you may seem to grasp some of my points you're overthinking what I'm trying to post here .

As for the competitive scene why it's dying I'm not sure whether I should buy your reasons OOF.

You did a comparison of going to A &C and staying home playing online... here's the thing, every time I've checked online @ the Global Colleseum the most ppl playing online in North America is usually in New York, I think there's also a few in New Jersey as well. The rest including Toronto is 0% usually. And since geographical location maybe a concern here wouldn't more ppl of their native cities have more online gatherings in their own city because lag is at minimum.

While I believe there are online players who did well offline not everyone does. There is also another factor I could think of. Aside from online players who only know how to abuse lag tactics, the atmosphere or environment could be affecting the performance of the player and may worsen their skillz. In your case OOF when BlackMamba's friend was yelling at you, it's not the same as him yelling online through a mic. Perhaps there are online players who can survive the pressure from such atmosphere while some can get easily get distraughted so I guess they need to experience more offline sessions to get use to this kind of atmosphere.

Hell it's like studying for a test. You feel you can study so well but when it actually comes to the test you end up failing.

But anyways I still think it's due to the fact that Namco isn't supporting this game enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back