Untapped Potential

Mavericks42O

[09] Warrior
So outta all the characters in SC who do you feel has the most Untapped Potential?

For me i feel its Sophitia as i don't think i've seen anyone truly master her AS and TAS sidesteps and cancels. It's some very tricky shit to deal with especially with the damage that comes with making 1 bad choice. It's also very very evasive as the chick is almost laying down when AS is performed outta block. If anyone knows of any good video's out there that make good use of this please let me know. What do you guys think?

Tira most people are turned off by her stance's differences and the fact that she hurts herself but i find them more appealing, its like playing two characters with their own sets of combo potential strengths and weaknesses.

The Apprentice.. I know there are people who play him, but I have yet to see a very good Apprentice in a casual match. I realize he is just an extra in SC but he has amazing RO potential, he is relatively fast and safe, and FC 8K:A combos can be disgustingly good. Then again I am by no means a pro in SC but its my opinion.

If Star Wars characters aren't included then.... I guess I always thought Maxi was fast and unpredictable but I never looked into him to know how safe or frame wise how fast he was; And again haven't seen very good casual matches with him.

idk i want to see an ivy that's so good at SS and iCS from coiled that they can bust them out as if they were normal grabs

The Apprentice.. I know there are people who play him, but I have yet to see a very good Apprentice in a casual match. I realize he is just an extra in SC but he has amazing RO potential, he is relatively fast and safe, and FC 8K:A combos can be disgustingly good. Then again I am by no means a pro in SC but its my opinion.
Well just to start off, the only person whom I felt is very good is OOFMATIC.

Another thing is casual matches don't mean much as compare to a tourney match or a money match.

Thats my bad I haven't really watched OOF play Apprentice, even though judging from his Vader game Im guessing he's sick.

I also wasn't sure which if any tourney's allowed Apprentice so I thought I'd be talking out of my ass if I said I hadn't seen him in Tourneys. Shoulda said "high lvl casual matches" lol

Back on topic I maybe starting to see that Rock may have the untapped potential. Rock from what I've seen is pure mind games and those with good mind games is what makes Rock very deadly.

Also senzait there's really no such thing as "high lvl casual matches". Casual matches are just casual matches. High level play is where tourney and money matches are held at because ppl are forced to be play at their hardest.

Come on man you know what I meant. Check out the media here in the website, I might not be the greatest but I know that if I see for example Omega on a casual match against a high lvl player it will be a "High lvl casual match".

high lvl casual matches

Wrong. Because A: There's gonna be a difference in the quality of play between two strong players going at it seriously (Yes, it's possible for people to do this for a match where nothing tangible is on the line) and two randoms mashing at each other... and 2: Some people just play better without the pressure of a tournament, MM or such. There can be plenty to gain from watching vids of players who know exactly what they're doing and are trying to win in a set of casual matches.

Sorry I have to disagree with both of these points and here's why:
Wrong. Because A: There's gonna be a difference in the quality of play between two strong players going at it seriously (Yes, it's possible for people to do this for a match where nothing tangible is on the line) and two randoms mashing at each other... and
though there are ppl who do take casuals seriously, there are spectators who have doubts and reserve judgement for tournies and money matches. When I had my casual sessions with a pro player, I don't get as much in-depth critiques as I do in my tourney matches.

2: Some people just play better without the pressure of a tournament, MM or such. There can be plenty to gain from watching vids of players who know exactly what they're doing and are trying to win in a set of casual matches.
Yes that is right but in the end they have to be tested by attending many tournies and/or accepting money matches. You can't just play casuals do well and assume you're the best without putting yourself to the test.

There is always conflict on the matter if whether somone is playing seriously or not. Tournament match, money match, or free-play. I tell you what. You can't assume anyone is ever playing seriously unless they 'agree' on the challenge with you, personally, beforehand. Even then it doesn't mean they were being serious. People join tournaments all the farking time just for fun. If they lose they just say "oh, well, I wasn't being too serious, anyway." Yet, if they do well then they act as if it was all planned out. This is how most players behave.

Only solution is to play with a clear purpose going in, and make sure you know how the other person feels, too. Otherwise the challenge is meaningless on both ends. The underlying assumption that everyone is playing their best just because it's a tournament doesn't really make sense. Results are taken a bit too seriously. Then again, so is life.

FT10 gives players more time to figure their opponent. The less number of matches pressures the losing player to think of a good strategy.

This discussion is hardly part of the thread. Plus I don't think we are gonna end up agreeing, we might as well agree to disagree. I believe you can casually be as serious and play as well as in tournament play. That is ultimately an opinion, there is no way to make it fact unless a study is done and I doubt there will be one. Hence no point in useless arguing.

Algol; the players I've seen only really use a limited moveset since he's very effective just with BB, 1A, bubbles, etc. but he has so much more moves.

Hilde; same mentality in that most people really only focus around her charge moves.

Back