Utilizing The Unblockables

dittO

[09] Warrior
In SC4, as most people have noticed, Ivy's UB game has its uses (more than most other characters at least).
So I think, this deserves a seperate thread for this gameplay aspect. Here you can share your UB tactics, as well as, find uses (If you haven't already) for Ivy's UB game. Causing fear and playing with UB-canceling/releasing/mix-ups, imo, can be beneficial to every Ivy player. Of course Ivy, still, can be a decent character without using her UBs, but you never know when these will come in handy ;)

I'll start with a list of Ivy's UB moves, which will be updated over time adding info and strategies:

CL 4A+B (80)/(76 If Blocked)
Info & Use:
This UB can be cancelled by tapping G. It can also be cancelled If you delay G a bit (but If you delay G more, then you will lose the chance to cancel it). At the ending frames of canceling animation, Ivy TCs. That's the only reason why this move has some uses. Nice options that can be used after UB-Cancel:
CL 4A+B<G...
- CL WSK (fast/interrupt)
- CL WSB (CF/KD)
- CL WSA (sidestep/CH/RO)
CL 4A+BB+K<G...
- SW WSB (fast/back RO)
- SW FC3B (low)
- SW CS/iCS (buffer window is decent)
CL 4A+BA+K<G...
- WP WSA (sidestep/range)
- WP WSB (range/back RO)
- WP FC3B (low/range)
- WP SS (buffer window is decent)
Of course, how much you'll delay UB-Cancel, depends on opponent/option.

SW [A+B] (78)/(74 If Blocked)
Info & Use:
Being mid, having the early-release option, causing heavy damage (even the non-UB version), having decent range and sometimes sidestep catcher, this UB can fairly be called Ivy's "Trump Card". It should also be noted that charging this move "about" half-way, is also UB. Making - sort of - the fully-charged version pretty much useless, because in terms of damage they are actually the same. Things that both opponent and user should know:
- This move can be sidesteped from both sides.
- Sidesteping left is easier to escape.
- Sidesteping right is harder to escape.
- Being closer to Ivy, is easier to escape by sidesteping.
- Being further from Ivy, is harder to escape by sidestepping.
From these 5 statements above, one realizes that this move has VERY high chances to succeed, If you use it NOT too close to opponent (minimizing the chances to get interrupted from very close) and from an ankle that the opponent can ONLY sidestep it to the RIGHT.
Of course, using it very close to the opponent while having the option to sidestep it to the left, is the worst case scenario, because you might get back-thrown (or easily interrupted) out of it.
- Another way to get advantage of this move, could be by interrupting your own combos/strings. For example: Some of Ivy's combos end with CL 4B, CL 236BB/SW 214K. So instead of using CL 236BB/SW 214K at the end of the combo, you could risk it for this UB, because after the CL 4B drop-to-the-ground-stun (not the upside-down-spining-stun), opponents sometimes think they can escape the last hit of the combo (CL 236BB/SW 214K) so they might tech, only to find that you purposedly led them to the UB trap. Also, SW 22_88K, 214K could work in the same way (SW 22_88K, [A+B]).
- Finally, it's worth to mention that this UB (both with the non-UB version), is also an excellent trap after a successful GI.

SW [3B+K] (40)/(38 If Blocked)
Info & Use:

WP [6A+B] (25)/(24 If Blocked)
Info & Use:

WP 214A (80)/(76 If Blocked)
Info & Use:
This UB can be cancelled by tapping G. It can also be cancelled If you delay G a bit (but If you delay G more, then you will lose the chance to cancel it). It should be noted that while performing this move, Ivy TCs almost instantly. Also during canceling animation, Ivy TCs and TJs at the same time. But, the best part is that during UB-Cancel, Ivy is Buffer-Lock-Proof. Meaning that whatever move you buffer during UB-Cancel, will happen immediately after. Nice options that can be used after UB-Cancel:
WP 214A<G...
- WP 66B (mid/combo/CF)
- WP 3A (sidestep/CH)
- WP 6B/6bA+B/6A (range)
- WP SS (buffer window is BIG)
WP 214AB+K<G...
- CL 3B/A+BA+K (mid/combo)
- CL 214B_ (evade)
Of course, how much you'll delay UB-Cancel, depends on opponent/option.

WP FC3_3A+B_44A+B (65)/(61 If Blocked)
Info & Use:

SE A (5)/(4 If Blocked)
Info & Use:

SE A+B (80)/(76 If Blocked)
Info & Use:

(Sorry for being incomplete atm. Info will be added soon. As usual, additions/corrections to this list are welcome and appreciated)

thanks.
The first time i noticed how fast any move can be done after the UB-cancel, I was pleasantly surprised.
It just seems that there are some moves without the buffer lock. Namely:
- WP 214A<G
- SW FC3B
- CL_SW_WP K+G
I don't know about the CH CL AA+K AT yet...

Nice info. I'm falling in love with Ivy's WP 214A personally for reasons stated, but I did not realize that the whole cancel was a buffer window.

Finally; another chance to use SS. =]

Also, cancel this move enough times and opponents -just- might fall prey to the real thing. XD

dittO, with WP 214A, I think you could add that it's actually... TC/TJ. I found this by accident. The first part is TC, when you tap G it's TJ, so it avoids all lows and s-mids. If opponent tries to interrupt you with 2A or 2K, it will whiff and you get a free attack.

dittO, with WP 214A, I think you could add that it's actually... TC/TJ. I found this by accident. The first part is TC, when you tap G it's TJ, so it avoids all lows and s-mids. If opponent tries to interrupt you with 2A or 2K, it will whiff and you get a free attack.
...LOL
I'd never would've guessed it was also TJ!
thx for mentioning it here ;)

For WP [6A+B] there is some sort or glitch or bug. It occurs when you try to go to CL and hold for the unblockable.

So if you go WP [6A+B] then hold B+K (let go of A+B/A part) for the fire, what will happen is the weapon just goes through the opponent. Ivy does not say anything and the move does nothing, if you hold for the unblockable.

When you do that move do not hold B+K cause you’ll get nothing, and Ivy will be stuck doing that animation. When using this unblockable it forces you to stay in whip if you what the damage. The only use I find is when you’re taunting your opponents, after defeating them.

I don’t know if this problem existed pre-patch.

WP 214A have super TC period just a bit after startup and before the jump. It works especially well against horizontals that have smaller active frame window and depends on hitbox. Good example is Hilde's C3A. Bad example is Mitsu's bA and Ivy's WP 3A only doable from close range.

Back