Viola Combo & Tech Trap Discussion

Random Back Throw shit:

So it turns out that 44ABE - 6B+K - 6B - A+G - 3B... is NOT WORTH IT. The damage scaling on the extra hit destroys the damage scaling. Random advice that probebly no one cares about. If you're going to Back Throw in a combo, go for the infinite or don't do it at all.

It's known that you can BT 44ABE 6B+K 6B BT... as a legit combo, as well as cause a mix up with BT/4B (if they try to duck it), but the link to get the BT into 44ABE without the Anti-viola stun on the BE is very tight, something like 1 or 3 frames to link it.

Has anyone found a reliable way to do this btw?

I'm going to keep posting my random personal finding here until I'm told not too. The stuff i'll post is likely to be outdated or irrelevant to most, but the findings are important to me, and I thought I may as well record them in a public space just in-case others want to know. I also don't play competitively either so my lack of experience may cause my opinions to seem false.

When playing Viola the general Philosophy: If it won't kill, only use 2 BEs in a single combo. I did a lot of number crunching with mix-up advantage and Meter control and decided that this was a very rightful philosophy to go by. The main reason I think this is because in most conventional BE combos (excluding the 5 BE back-throw infinite) you do not get at least a single BE stock from the combo finisher, which I feel is a major factor, because I do also believe that if the 4BE combo has a timeful purpose, leaving Viola with at least a single BE stock is a strong enough pay off for wasting full meter.

As well as all of this I, as most people, was never really a fan of using the CE at all. However after watching Kayane over the weekend at the Madcatz, I noticed that her use of the CE was quite prominent in her gameplay.

Not much else to go on, but finding her execution of her CE (SET BBB CE) to actually be pretty solid, I felt like doing some number crunching with doing 2BE combos following a CE.

I split Combo A and Combo B simply because I know some people prefer to be safe and use 2A+B instead of 6A+B. Also I did the 6B+K B version because i'm a scrub and can't do 66A consistently enough for use.

[Combo A]: 3B, AAB, 2A+B, 2B+KBE, 6B+K, B, AAB, 66B, 66A+B
[Combo B]: 3B, AAB, 6A+B(both hits), 2B+KBE, 6B+K, B, AAB, 66B, 66A+B

CE 1K -> 44ABE, 6B+K, 6B [Combo A] = 164 dmg, 1 1k/2k/2A for 1 BE stock
[Combo B] = 160-166 dmg, 1 BE stock
CE 1K -> 22BBE, 1B, [Combo A] = 139 dmg, 1BE stock
[Combo B] = 138 dmg, 1BE stock
CE 1K -> B+KBE string = 170 dmg, 10 1k/2k/2A for 1 BE stock

Going with the motive that utilizing a full meter CE combo used in the interim of the round with a pay back of a single BE stock being worth the easy application, I would say that using 44ABE whilst using 6A+B before 2B+KBE does have it's uses, and is a pay out that I accept as being a good enough motivator to use this combo.

New combo 4 da niccaz wit swag. Need two meters, gain one back. About 168-178 damage.

Set 3b --> aab --> Slight hold 6A+B --> 2b+K BE --> 6B+K --> 66A --> b+k --> 6B+K --> A or B ---> B+K BE --> 66B ---> 66A+BB

New combo 4 da niccaz wit swag. Need two meters, gain one back. About 168-178 damage.

Set 3b --> aab --> Slight hold 6A+B --> 2b+K BE --> 6B+K --> 66A --> b+k --> 6B+K --> A or B ---> B+K BE --> 66B ---> 66A+BB

ok im trying to imagen this combo.... uhm the Orb 6b+k part, in order for that to work the first hit must actually whiff while the second hit just barely hits them before they reach the ground correct? also wouldnt B be our only option after that? i thought A was ACable or is the B+K BE fast enough that it does not matter?

Don't try to imagine it...just do it...because you're confusing me. Nothing has to whiff and Viola's A is never air controllable.

just started with viola, gonna ask tons of noob shit here and not gonna crawl through the 40 pages again, did it once half a year ago and already forgot most of the them because I haven't played sc5 since then.

so here goes the 1st one.

how do you cancel set 4A+B into B+K BE? I can't do it, consistently, what are the cues to help wit the timing? which moves are cancelable with B+K BE and what are the proper timing for them?

what can I do after set 4B? is 66A+BB the only good option?

is set 22A+B worth throwing out? it combos into 2B+K BE but the timing is so strict, and I can't figure out how to connect the AAB afterwards. do I need to run forward to connect AAB?

also, the combo listing says set 66B can combo into 2B+K BE, but computers keep teching out. I am guessing this was patched out but the combo listing wasn't updated?

just started with viola, gonna ask tons of noob shit here and not gonna crawl through the 40 pages again, did it once half a year ago and already forgot most of the them because I haven't played sc5 since then.

so here goes the 1st one.

how do you cancel set 4A+B into B+K BE? I can't do it, consistently, what are the cues to help wit the timing? which moves are cancelable with B+K BE and what are the proper timing for them?

what can I do after set 4B? is 66A+BB the only good option?

is set 22A+B worth throwing out? it combos into 2B+K BE but the timing is so strict, and I can't figure out how to connect the AAB afterwards. do I need to run forward to connect AAB?

also, the combo listing says set 66B can combo into 2B+K BE, but computers keep teching out. I am guessing this was patched out but the combo listing wasn't updated?

Firstly it's simply just a matter of timing. You need to launch B+K BE a split second after the second orb hits. Otherwise what I tend to do is use 6B+K, 3K, B+K BE, usually on a guard crush, because that leads into Viola's most efficient 180 damage 2 BE combo; 6[A+B], 2B+K BE, 6B+K, B (or 66A if you're a terminator), AAB, 66B, 66A+B.

Second: Yes it is. When you are set, you can follow up with: 2B+K BE... , the classic 2A+B (charged slightly) or any 2A,B,K etc.

Thirdly not really. I much prever 77,99 AA or that sort of thing. I don't really use it so I can't help.

Forth I'm not sure what you're doing wrong, it's pretty free.

From my hiatus this is how I play Viola:

Close range: us 6B+K to mix up 3A>3B or 1K>grab (or 3K>B+KBE if you're desperate for the win). Far range: 6B+K to make 1A+B safe, do close range mix up. Obviously with other Viola mumbo Jumbo mixed in somewhere.

My year of experience has told me this is the best way to Viola. Just keep them mix-ups.. They will fall for it sooner or later.

this is from the sticky combo thread at the top
SET 66B -
2B+K(BE) 66B 2B+K(BE) AAB 66B 66A+BB - 139

as far as I tried tell the 2B+K(BE) 66B 2B+K(BE) part isn't possible

I have only seen 2B+K(BE) 6A+B 2B+K(BE)

While I may not know if this is possible or not, if I am honest, wasting two BE in this combo is pretty wasteful, when there are other combos with the same cost which are far more efficient.

Besides, I'm pretty sure that shit can be GDR'ed :L

when you do the tokido combo with 6B+K and 66A as fillers, say
3B, AAB, 6A+B, 2B+K BE, 6B+K, 66A

I heard that it's possible to replace 66A with B, but B is air controlable. but what about a simple A? assuming you are close enough for A to land, can they air control out of it?

this guy was doing A instead of B/66A
youtube.com/watch?v=5ZEOcmd9y_I
but I don't know if he turned air control on, and I don't have the execution to check it myself right now.

it will probably be at least a week before I can take viola out for a fight.

Back