Viola Combo & Tech Trap Discussion

me being unable to do AAB is just my sluggishness. I just havent played any fighting game for a long time. all I played was ninja gaiden and some third person shooters which don't require input precision. all my old mains in this game aren't combo heavy either.

my biggest problem right now is figuring out the timing for B+K BE/2B+K BE. can't seem the press the buttons fast enough to connect the combos.

me being unable to do AAB is just my sluggishness. I just havent played any fighting game for a long time. all I played was ninja gaiden and some third person shooters which don't require input precision. all my old mains in this game aren't combo heavy either.

my biggest problem right now is figuring out the timing for B+K BE/2B+K BE. can't seem the press the buttons fast enough to connect the combos.
For 2B+K BE assuming you do 2A+B, you have time to move you're fingers to the three buttons required. Just do it right when Viola recovers, so as soon as possible.

For B+K BE it depends on the setup. 6AB BE is the easiest because you do do 6A and instead of pressing B, mash R2 or whatever you're A+B+K button is because it'll register B and then A+B+K for the brave edge.

Is 2B+K BE guaranteed after 6A+B? I can consistently land 6A+B after AAB but I can't ever get my 2B+K BE to pop them back up unless I take tech rolling off of my training dummy.

It can be guaranteed or not depending on how it's done. The way it works in combos where it can't be escaped is the orb is charged just long enough that Viola recovers fast enough after it hits that she can do 2B+K BE before the opponent has a chance to ukemi. The longer the release is delayed, the faster she'll recover after it hits.

Does anyone else ever have problems with doing :6::B+K: after sprinting for a bit? Quite occasionally - though frequently enough for it to be a major annoyance - instead of getting :6::B+K: I'll just get :6::6::K:. This only seems to be a problem when I've sprinted a short distance, as after :4::4::A: BE or if running up to a downed opponent to apply oki. Dropping combos and loosing momentum in this way is so annoying that I eventually just mapped :B+K: to L2, but I recently tried mapping :G: to to the trigger, and this makes just guards so much easier that I may feasibly be able to learn them. L1 is my brave edge button and I can't use R1 or R2 because I hold the PS controller with my fingers rather than a thumb on the buttons (I'm not sure the triggers would be much use anyway, as then how would I do :A+B:, :A+G: or :B+G:?)

I can't physically perceive what I'm doing differently when the wrong move comes out. Obviously I'm pressing :K: imperceptibly faster, but it feels the same to me. Does anyone have any advice?

^ that used to happen to me but I just keeped practicing it and now it's easy. My problem was that I continuously held 6 when doing 6B+K and it came out as 6k instead of 6B+K.

Does anyone else ever have problems with doing :6::B+K: after sprinting for a bit? Quite occasionally - though frequently enough for it to be a major annoyance - instead of getting :6::B+K: I'll just get :6::6::K:. This only seems to be a problem when I've sprinted a short distance, as after :4::4::A: BE or if running up to a downed opponent to apply oki. Dropping combos and loosing momentum in this way is so annoying that I eventually just mapped :B+K: to L2, but I recently tried mapping :G: to to the trigger, and this makes just guards so much easier that I may feasibly be able to learn them. L1 is my brave edge button and I can't use R1 or R2 because I hold the PS controller with my fingers rather than a thumb on the buttons (I'm not sure the triggers would be much use anyway, as then how would I do :A+B:, :A+G: or :B+G:?)

I can't physically perceive what I'm doing differently when the wrong move comes out. Obviously I'm pressing :K: imperceptibly faster, but it feels the same to me. Does anyone have any advice?

When my controller had broken and I was forced to buy a new one, this happened to me. Well, at least the part with 6B+K coming out as 66K after sprinting a bit. After the controller was broken in then it ceased but that might not be your problem, sorry. :/

You might need to map buttons, e.g make R2 =B+K etc.

can some one just show me a video of this combo from the sticky
SET 66B -
2B+K(BE) 66B 2B+K(BE) AAB 66B 66A+BB - 139

normally I do 66A+B right after 66B because I know it works, but I have never connect 66B to 2B+K BE. I have never seen this being done in any video either. none of the combo videos after 1.03 feature this combo as basics.

66A+B is 22 frames to impact, but
2B+K BE is 32 frames to impact

does 66B really give you that 32 frame stun before the opponent can tech out?

can some one just show me a video of this combo from the sticky
SET 66B -
2B+K(BE) 66B 2B+K(BE) AAB 66B 66A+BB - 139

normally I do 66A+B right after 66B because I know it works, but I have never connect 66B to 2B+K BE. I have never seen this being done in any video either. none of the combo videos after 1.03 feature this combo as basics.

66A+B is 22 frames to impact, but
2B+K BE is 32 frames to impact

does 66B really give you that 32 frame stun before the opponent can tech out?

I find 66B 2B+K BE very unreliable as well, and you can get far more damage with 66B 2B+K BE 6B+K 66A B+K BE blah blah blah even if it did work...
So yeah, I often forget that that little tool exists, but I can at least tell you it works sometimes... maybe..?

My advice is to avoid buffering your 2B+K BEs. Buffering it seems to change some properties, like the cancel frames, so that might have an effect..? Maybe..? ..?

--

Just given it another go... It's completely right and left techable. Do not like.

Is it possible to consistently pull off 2B BE to 44A BE? I did it like twice but every time after that the orb never came around.

Also, 66B to 2B+K isn't guaranteed is it? The A1 always techs out of it, just want to make sure.

22B BE 44A BE is guaranteed, just hold the A if you're unsure with timing.
66B 2B+K BE is guaranteed as far as I know
if they are teching, you doing it too slow

ugh... I just really suck at timing for her combos.

I found out 66B 2B+K BE does combo, but I only land it like 1/50 tries.

having trouble landing 44A BE combos. I know I need to 6B+K cancel at 2nd orb hit, when my 6B and 6B+K connect, the combo meter just ends there and 3B gets blocked. is there an easier alternative for starters?

even 22B BE 1B is missable for me and the opponent just falls down, wasting that combo potential.

for 3B AAB 2A+B 2B+K BE relaunch, I know I need to do 66, AAB, but I always seem to do it too early and hit the opponent too high and the orb recall ends up missing... ugh... I can't imagine how I am going to do when I use her online because the frame rates are different.

Ok you will really need to work on timings to have a hope in hell with viola,

44A BE 6B+k, do it after 2nd hit
3B combo, you need to just try and work it out

The timing for 6B+K after 44A BE isn't that hard, you just gotta remember to spam the hell out of 6B afterwards to make sure it's done on time. Remember that after 6B+K the 6B has to be done the instant she comes out of the 6B+K animation or they can recover in time to block the 3B.

is orb 1A+B 66A+BB a true combo or is it techable? I know it's unsafe to do 1A+B unless you make a good low read, but I never thought it could combo. I haven't tested it in training mode yet, but people seem to do this online a lot.

EDIT: NVM, doesn't combo, just tech to the left to escape this bullshit.

Back