Voldo Q&A / General Discussion

Yes, this is what it looks like, and it is realy usefull.
I use it tons of times against tons of characters. You can use it all the time, but I mostly setup this when I am at -6/-8. It seems easier this way. Although it's a really safe way to improve the risk/reward of movement in BS.

Just like I said to DeathInMyEyes, it seems kinda dumb that I ony found that recently haha I mean, when you think about it, it's obvious since we have a step G in BS.
At first I thought you needed step 6G in order to JG but no, you only need to use G. Way easier.

I am studying that BS step JG cancel quite heavily nowadays, and I have one remark :
It's a really strong tech, but it has some drawbacks :

1) You will find it hard to whiff / step punish some moves with really fast recovery (-13 for exemple).
Since you need to use G (which will be delayed a bit to get i15 to i20 moves) then confirm the JG or no JG then use whiff punish if you didn't JG, you're losing quite a bit of reaction times.

For exemple, let's take Patroklos vs Voldo :
Voldo uses 1A hit, and Patroklos 2B. Voldo BSSJG cancels. You step 2B and you don't JG it. You won't be able to whiffpunish 2B, Patroklos will be able to block.

While if you did use an easy step, you would have been able to use BS 4K or even BS 88B to whiff punish that 2B.

2) You're getting more passive when you use that, allowing your opponent to use more BT throws against Voldo.

Still an amazing technique though, you only need to mix it up.

Lol That is awesome, Ruka! Great discovery!

I just noticed something about this too. Made a video. You'll have to read the description. Notice how BS 8A whiffs lol.

After a little more testing (on Asta) the BS 8A will whiff against him too if you cancel the early jump animations into BS 8A. Weirdddddddddddddddddddd.

I also noticed something else while in front turned. I didn't make a video of it, but you can test it yourself.

If you are holding G while you execute Voldo's 8A or 8K, Voldo will voluntarily do the LF followup of the corresponding move. For example, if you hold G and press 8A, Voldo will do the 8A then right after do LF A without any extra inputs. Seems like it does it on the first possible frame. Also, if you hold G and do 8A while still holding A, Voldo will do the 8A, then charge up for the LF (A). Weird stuff.

Messing around with a+k in training mode, hunting for more voldo glitches.

Found out you can cancel it with GI. If you do it while backturned, it gives a front-facing GI. Neat.

EDIT: oooo, you can also cancel it with CE if you hold 6

EDIT 2: or if you hold 4, apparently. Feels a little easier with 4.

Last edited:
Messing around with a+k in training mode, hunting for more voldo glitches.

Found out you can cancel it with GI. If you do it while backturned, it gives a front-facing GI. Neat.

EDIT: oooo, you can also cancel it with CE if you hold 6

EDIT 2: or if you hold 4, apparently. Feels a little easier with 4.
Wow! That is awesome! I knew about the GI's out of A+K, but not the CE. Awesome! I am able to cancel into CE by just doing the 236236A+B+K input., I am not holding any directions. You've got to make absolute certain that you're hitting the 6 direction the second go around before pressing A+B+K, otherwise you will most definitely get a 2A+K cancel instead.

Also, this is pretty common sense, however I never thought about doing it until the other day when Maxou was in my stream chat, but you can cancel 22_88A+B by doing his 4A+B~G. It's another way to get into Blind Stance.

Noticing more, with Voldo's 2_8A+K, and also 6A+K/BS 4A+K; you can input 236 as fast as possible during those animations and Voldo will consequentially go into CR directly after. I realize this because once upon entering 236 during this move, I am holding (1), and Voldo will go right into CR retreat after entering CR. After experiment a little bit more, I've noticed that during the execution of some moves if you input 236, CR will come out right after. A good example would be 2A36. Executed just like that will cause Voldo to go immediately into CR after the 2A. Needs more studying.

Very nice stuff.
That 2A36 stuff is neat ! But is it faster than 2A 236 ?

When would you use A+K > GI or A+K > CE ? Since it can't use it after the A+K auto evade, it seems kinda useless.

Speaking of A+K, you might have noticed that when you use A+K and it evades a move, it says "guard impact". I tested JG during that A+K (since you can do GI into JG) and couldn't JG anything. So it doesn't seem like you can use it as a GI JG setup.
BUT I have no skill whatsoever (it's a training mode miracle I could play Setsuka/Alpha), so it may have to do with me. Could someone test that more ?

I use 88A+B 4A+B~G a lot, it's a very good BS transition. Well I use 22_88A+B a lot, it evades more stuff than regular step, and you don't get hit CH during 22A+B.
You can even evade EVEN more stuff with 22A+B 8A+K or 88A+B 2A+K.
PS : if you don't know about it, try 22A+B 44B+K. Kinda useless (it HAS some evade and backdash properties but well...) but fun bug ! Saw that one in a japanese vid.

Voldo is such a rich character to play with. Amazingly fun.

EDIT :
You may have noticed ( as I sure did because it's annoying as hell), but depending on range 1A AND 44A can be stepped.
Try this in training mode if you want to check, CPU Alpha recorded to do 33B into step 33B.
If you block 33B Alpha will step 1A to left and Alpha will step 44A to the right side.

What are your solutions against this ?
I am actually experimenting with iWS K]. Faster I could do was i22-i23 for iWS K.
22A is good too but seems really slow.

Last edited:
Wow! That is awesome! I knew about the GI's out of A+K, but not the CE. Awesome! I am able to cancel into CE by just doing the 236236A+B+K input., I am not holding any directions. You've got to make absolute certain that you're hitting the 6 direction the second go around before pressing A+B+K, otherwise you will most definitely get a 2A+K cancel instead.

If you do a+k 23623(6)A+B+K 236236(4)a+b+k, it makes it less likely you'll get the 6a+k cancel.

When would you use A+K > GI or A+K > CE ? Since it can't use it after the A+K auto evade, it seems kinda useless.

Its just a gimmick. I could see someone trying to do a UB or something vs a+k and getting smacked with CE.

If you do a+k 23623(6)A+B+K 236236(4)a+b+k, it makes it less likely you'll get the 6a+k cancel.

Yeah, but don't you get a GI if you do (4) A+B+K. Seriously, I only need to input 236236 during A+K to get the CE cancel. You don't need any fancy input to do that. I am not getting a 6A+K cancel with a bad input, I am getting 2A+K with a bad input. I also noticed that when doing a GI during the A+K, depending on when you cancel the AQ+K with GI, Voldo backsteps a little bit during the GI, if you cancel A+K early, and front steps if you cancel A+K late in the animation. This might be a problem with the GI whiffing if you were using A+K as bait.

@Maxou, I know the feeling. Voldo lacks a reliable anti-step tool. I like 6AB(A), or 3A. Also, a 1(k) has slight tracking. Must be executed mid-step.

Last edited:
I didn't get the 6A+K cancel too.

Endiku : 6ABA] suffers from the same problem like 1A and 44A. I've had 6A stepped and ducked a lot of times.
Although it's a good wall starter and RO tool. You can CH-confirm the last hit too, for folks who are used to JG it.

Although risky, 3A is indeed a very good tool (and a reliable TC too). Some character in SC5 can hardly punish it : Yoshi for exemple.

You may want to use more AA. It's an amazing tool, with a deceiptful good range. I even use it as a zoning tool against some characters.

----------------------------------------------------

It may be known (it probably is) but I didn't see it written. I use ">" as the legend for hitconfirm.
Voldo has some very good hitconfirm stuff :
- WS A>A can be hitconfirmed (it changes the ground stun, adv becomes feet toward you > combo with 66B BE deals 65dmg). It also allow for some delay with 2nd hit of WS AA (66B BE doesn't seem garanteed if opponent block first hit and takes 2nd, I've had it teched).
- 2B>B can be hitconfirmed.
- BS 8B>K can be hitconfirmed.
- BS 6AB>B : the last hit can be hit / CH confirmed.
- 6AB>A] : the last hit can be CH confirmed.
- 4B>AA : can be hitconfirmed (possible but it's the most difficult of his hitconfirms).

Voldo's AA is probably his most reliable, safe step killer.. With Voldo though, I am not trying to stop them from stepping, if I notice them stepping after certain stuff, I will use 3A to get the CH + frame advantage mixup, I've noticed that when an opponent is stepping around in a zoning pattern, I will use 22A, or sometimes even 33A to stop them. Voldo's anti-step tools are either super slow startup or super slow recovery, or a HIGH, and with most 8WR attacks having tech crouches, kind of makes Voldo weak to it. I think he does a lot better killing step from mid range rather than close range.

In regards to your other topic: Yeah, I love Voldo's hit confirms. I use WR AA . I really like 4BAA in certain matchups. It stops those super high jumping attacks

We were just talking about Voldo's A's whiffing and here it happens to one of his better step killers. And against Astaroth of all characters.

Back