Wavedash Help

BLACKSTAR

[10] Knight
Couldn't post in the wavedash thread, so I made this one.

Problem: I'm learning how to wavedash, and I'm HORRIBLE at it, after like a month of practice. Still can't do more than like 3 dashes at most... I'm using (learning) arcade stick.

Is there some kind of special trick to it, or at least some proper method it takes to learn how to do like 15+ consecutive wavedashes? is there a youtube video hidden on the internet somewhere with beginner wavedashing help? I looked for SC4 and even tekken wavedash vids and didn't find anything helpful.

I look at cheeseoftheday's, and (i think) suriad's youtube videos and I am amazed and determined to learn. Not only did it look cool, but it seemed like a good (safe) method to get in close to your opponent, since 8wr is not very good in this game....

I'm already great at doing it on pad, but the way I learned to do it on pad was by actually trying to get good at playing SF4/SSF4, GG, and BB with an arcade stick.

It's extremely useful, though I would say in an actual match, rarely is there a situation where you actually need to do more than 3...

There's definitely a rhythm to it, not much help but if you can master doing 2 consecutive dashes, you should be able to keep that rhythm going and do as many as you want.

LostProvidence: Haha, I thought I was the only one..... I'm trying to pick up fei-long in ssf4 practice just so I can do his rekkas consistantly -- by doing that I KNOW for a fact that I am doing qcf motions correctly... I really think that does help...

Shenrei: there's a rhythm to it? it's not just doing qcf's as fast as you can? i hope so, because I have been on the verge of putting my wrist out trying to do it quickly.

i can do 2 dashes like 40-50% of the time and 3 or 4 dashes at about 10%. from what you said, I guess timing is key, so that's where I'll focus

Looking at how the buffering system works:

If you input 236~236 fast, with the second 236 being input immediately after the first, you should get two consecutive dashes - which is what you want.

If you input 236~236, but slightly delay the second 236, you'll notice a major delay after the first dash, almost as if the second one lagged behind your input. The delay on that second dash coming out almost feels like an online thing. That's not cool.

So yeah, speed is key. However, if you're inputting each 236 faster than each dash animation on the screen, the buffer system can get skewed. You wanna stick with one concurrent 236 for each dash, nothing more. Ideally, the speed of your 236s should match with the speed of your dashes on the screen.

I'd practice doing two dashes 100% first. Don't worry about anything more than that. Once you get that down, you should be able to grasp and maintain that constant speed needed to do more than two.

I can do it consistently on a dpad moving forward on 1P/backward on 2P. Doing it the other way around is what I'm not good at. I tend to not worry about it though because you really only need to use the one going forward.

people use wavedash? i use it for crouch moves and occasionally 236~
my setsukas terrible so no doubt i got it wrong, but the good setsukas i know rarely use it.
?

people use wavedash? i use it for crouch moves and occasionally 236~
my setsukas terrible so no doubt i got it wrong, but the good setsukas i know rarely use it.
?

I use it to trick people usually. Like to do a throw or low them. I don't overuse it like COTD or anything, but yeah I use it.

I don't think its central to her game either; I bet that even if you are the best wavedash master and can dash across the entire screen nonstop the whole match, i'm pretty sure you are not any closer to winning any tournaments than beforehand. she has much more important stuff like her combos and setups to the B+K,61B,66B+K combos and other stuff.

that'd being said, like I said before, I think its probably real useful for getting in close really quickly, and masking 8WR moves, and generally makes her harder to read and less predictable. but that's not even the reason I want to learn -- its because I want to make her my second main, and as a main I want to learn every aspect of her moveset, even the obscure ones

shenrei: thank you for your help, because you have answered way more than I even asked. knowing there is a rhytm and that speed is key is helping alot, at least theoretically. I still have to practice it tho, but I'm gonna try and get 2 dashes down 100%

For me, wavedashing *really* supplements Setsuka's game.

Why?

It can be used as a range extender for many of her moves, the most important ones being throws. If you're at frame advantage and you're a step or two far away outside of her throw range, all you need to do is wavedash once or twice and you're back in throw range.

As a mixup tool: the fact that throws aren't the only thing she can do out of a wavedash makes her that much trickier to fight against.

Covering distance: Say your opponent is grounded but you're too far away to hit them. It is faster to wavedash in and do an 8WR move or whatever, than it is to regular dash in and then press 11 or 33.

I honestly think wavedashing becomes extremely important, especially in matches where Sets can especially out space characters, but to each his own

Other than that, I know exactly what you mean about learning everything about a character you want to main. It's one of the main reasons that I try to approach different characters other ways outside of the norm and actually put effort into learning aG:B (which I'm, honestly, still not completely comfortable with).

I honestly think wavedashing becomes extremely important, especially in matches where Sets can especially out space characters, but to each his own

Other than that, I know exactly what you mean about learning everything about a character you want to main. It's one of the main reasons that I try to approach different characters other ways outside of the norm and actually put effort into learning aG:B (which I'm, honestly, still not completely comfortable with).

Thats her only JF I can't do. It's depressing.

236/214.....what I do is sorta like 23632,23632,23632.......so I'm doing a QCF and the backwards...

When I let go I get that delayed dash one of you were talking about.

I actually prefer 214 to create space.....

then I UMBRELLA!!!

Hi guys (I am back ! Finally get the time to do some SC-related activities !),

Wavedashing is a very good tool for Setsuka, especially since 236~throw is broken.

Doing it 2 or 3 times is kinda useless IMO although, exept for style points. Most of the time, when you are wave dashing, a better option can be found.

With 214, it is IMO more usefull. Especially if you add 214~3BB with it for added backdash.

236~214 could be the most useful stuff with wavedashing (apart from 236~throw), but it's kinda hard to do.

JF agB is IMO useless.

"236~214 could be the most useful stuff with wavedashing (apart from 236~throw), but it's kinda hard to do."

I do that a lot, but mostly to do her command throw...and people almost always break B by default against Sets. x_x

Don't worry twinsbrow, it's not worth learning. Seriously,

JF agB is IMO useless.

Quoted. For. Truth.

Outside maybe 11B ag:B JF umbrella, there's really very little reason to use it. And even then, I'm not sure it's worth learning. It TCs at frame 11, but that's about the all the utility it has outside the combo, and there's better to TC with, considering it's a super short range super linear move that on guard is -tons.

Back to wavedashing, it's good, but as others have said, doing more than 3 is excessive.

Back