What Do You Look For In A Fighting Style?

Soul

Valide Kösem Sultan
As the title states,what type of fighting style lures you the most?
Not the fighting style itself or weapons,but the type : ranged,fast,slow,etc...

For me Speed & Range,kinda like this girl.

It's usually character design that lures me in, then if the style is a good match for my playstyle I'll take the time to learn him/her well. I also tend to gravitate towards simple characters like Patroklos and Pyrrha, since my execution is not the best. I tried Hilde and Raphael but the level of execution and thought they require are beyond me.

Interestingly, my bother is the exact opposite, leaning more towards the execution heavy characters like aPat and Yoshimitsu.

I like the worst character in the game.
I don't know what the worst characters in games have in common, to tell; but if I like a character, you can be sure he's the lowliest of the bottom tier.

Fast, effective, yet punishing. Kinda keep them on their toes but at the same time find an opening and catch them when they least expect it, or a few stances to throw them off.

Anything that means I don't have to block very much. Pressure, frametraps, spacing... alternative defence... that sort of thing.

I look for the simplest character to learn because I'm not too good with execution.

I look for a character who can punish well, does decent damage, quick, and overall safe.

I also like the characters that are hard as fuq to learn,like Setsuka.
Challenging myself in a way,doing the 1A,a,a (just) is tough online =3 , and the 2143 aB (Fast input) after A+K B,which needs a very specific timing.

Hmm... Based on the characters I choose, I think I look more for speed...

-Soul Calibur: Taki/Natsu, Viola/Amy, Yun-Seong, Cassandra
-Dead or Alive: Ayane
-Tekken: Lili, Nina, Hwoarang, Asuka (Well, she's not really that fast but I like playing her and I practiced with her a lot in Tekken 5, 6, & Tag 2).
Yeah, if anything, I seem to have an infinity for faster paced characers however, at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter because I like learning new characters even if they aren't fast. Because in Soul Calibur while I do enjoy playing Taki and Viola, I also enjoy playing as characters like say Patroklos, Ivy, or Z.W.E.I.

Long range? check

Big damage? check

Easy execution? check

Simple combos? check

Badass horizontals? check

It's no mystery why my #1 and #2 are Sieg and NM. If a character meets the above criteria then I don't even care about being fast or not. Even still, NM and Sieg are both relatively fast for their range.

However, if a character DOESN'T have good range, then they must have:

Speed

High damage combos

Easy execution

Low meter dependency

At least 2 moves that cover long distance, even if they are slower than molasses.

Pat fit's that bill rather nicely, I just find myself losing to spacing quite often, and because of that I end up whiffing quite a bit. Still, he effectively replaces Cassandra's style for me. No, he's not as fun to use as Cassandra was in sc4, but out of all the S&S styles in this game, he was by far the most interesting (IMO). So I made a Cassandra CAS with Pat's style and called it a day :)

And Raphael still sucks. Even though we all want him to be mid-tier he just isn't....

Mixups and Speed. I like safety too, but mixups/fakeouts are my favorite thing.
So Talim for speed and mixups and Leixia safety, speed, and mixups :D

Back