What is your favorite single player mode in the series so far and what do you want to see in SC6?

Favorite single player?

• Edge Master Mode (SB)

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • Mission Mode (SC)

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Weapon Master (SC2)

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • Tales of Souls (SC3)

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • Chronicles of the Sword (SC3)

Votes: 24 40.7%
  • Tower of Souls (SC4)

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Story Mode (SC5)

• Quick Battle

• Total voters
I'd say Weapon Master mode, Arcade mode with endings, and a story mode. I also want to mention having a tournament mode or an online league mode for SC6 as well.

Can I ask: do you like the difficulty of the last stage? If they did bring back CotS, would you like a higher difficulty throughout the game? Is there anything major you'd really want to see changed?
The mode absolutely needs difficulty settings.
While you do get experience for losing, I think it would be frustrating for many players who aren't great at fighting games if you increased the difficulty throughout with no option to put it back down.

The difficulty spike in the last mission isn't fantastic from a design perspective, but I feel it could be mitigated if you were given an opportunity to learn how to approach it. The problem is the tutorial.
When I first played CotS, I had absolutely no idea that you could even change a unit's type, or why I would want to. This system is something that should've been taught to you right from the start, and should have been more consistently necessary throughout the mode. Instead, it wastes this important time with 3 near-identical missions that only cover the very basics.
A good tutorial is the difference between a frustrating challenge and a fun challenge. This mission is entirely different from the rest of the mode, as it requires you to understand the intricacies of the way units fight on the field and use it perfectly as you can't respawn, and the mode never gives you a reason to learn about any of this ahead of time in a safer environment.

Other than that, the general approach to difficulty is pretty good. The optional challenges with the main cast are good fun, I think the difficulty curve is pretty spot on, it just needs difficulty settings to just translate that curve higher or lower.

Changes? Other than what I just went through:
  • Making the AI more active, more often, just so you might have to adjust your strategy a little. I don't feel CotS was ever meant to be an incredibly complex strategy game, but it should at least require some thought. There are several maps that you just walk through completely unopposed.
  • The system that allows you to place units at the start of a mission is largely unused. Do something with it or get rid of it.
  • Less characters that are each more impactful. So many characters come and go throughout the story that I forget who most of them are, especially considering I'm only really fighting with my own creations. It's great that people change sides and all that, but I think there would be some benefit to a smaller, more consistent and more developed party you might actually want to use.

Last edited:
I liked Quick Battle and its equivalent in Broken Destiny. I would like to see a version of that return except with character specific search parameters.

Reactions: CFW
Not listed on poll but for "single player" (as-in playing not offline vs) I would like:
An online adaptation of the arcade SC2's Conquest Mode, with actual players vs players instead of ghost player data, could be nice. With 3 or more factions to choose (arcade had 4 factions). With both single 1on1, & team battle of up to 8 players per team. With single rank tournament match, elimination tournament match, & round robin tournament match (where everyone gets to play vs everyone). The collective progress (by w/l ratio etc) of each faction determines who wins (the crown, or the lead, or whatever cool thing that presents the winnng faction) over certain time periods like how it was in MAG (Massive Action Game on PS3), or another original way that ensures & encourages constant competition. With maybe perhaps rewards or prizes of some kind.

While I'd love for conquest mode to come back, it's more of a multiplayer mode than a single-player mode. If you want to get technical about the thread topic.

Opinion: CotS was excellent, but I think SoulCalibur's gameplay would pair better with a dungeon crawler RPG, rather than a strategy RPG. They flirted with this idea in SC2's weapon master mode, with their (extremely minimal) dungeons. If they combined that concept with stats, team-based combat and, you know, actual graphics it would be my ideal single-player mode.

Back