What makes SC memorable?

Pyrrus

[14] Master
Just like the title says~
What do you think makes the Soul Calibur Series memorable? or What makes it more memorable to you?
Is it the beautiful graphics?
Awesome fighting?

For me its the graphics, fighting, characters, and the gorgeous soundtracks~

For me, the fact that the game is a fighter that focuses on weapons is a big deal. I know there are other such fighting games, but having been raised on the 90s era of fighters that were mostly unarmed brawlers, SC was the first weapons-based fighter I played, and it was damn fun too.

Perhaps most important (to me) is the series' dynamic characters. Unless the gameplay is stellar enough to make a title a system's killer ap, I can't get into a game if the characters are dull or aren't likable/relatable. I think the series really hit its stride at SC3, with the introduction of Zasalamel & Tira, who were novel and fun to play with. However, quite a few of the characters are getting stale now due to the lack of new storylines & character development, and I hope to see this change in future games.

I don't play a lot of fighters these days (that aren't Mortal Kombat or Virtua Fighter anyway), but I will always make time for Soul Calibur because, for me, it's the full package of what I think a fighter should be: great gameplay, fairly good online, interesting characters, beautiful graphics, and visible work put into the little things. By this last I mean all the details that can be found on each stage, amazing music, and the features of museum mode in SC2 & SC3 (weapon demonstrations-how cool is that?). Of course, many of these praises don't apply to SC4-in my mind, PS really dropped the ball on content, but it did have good gameplay, so there's that.

That's my 2¢.

1. Graphics.
2. Weapons based fighting.
3. Various characters, each with personality diff from each other. Thank you for introducing me to Mitsurugi, Taki, Siegfried and Setsuka.
4. Tons of modes.
5. Godly soundtrack. Well, SCIV's was weak.

I'd say it's the uniqueness of each different fighting style. Setsuka (sorry aPat but you're not the same without an umbrella) and Viola (sorry ZWEI but orbs are cooler than werewolves) are highlights for me, but there will always be a unique style to suit each player.

And I love CaS - you can beat the crap out of online idiots to your heart's content but there's something really therapeutic about creating something from nothing.
Then again, I do like beating the crap out of online idiots ^^

Weapon based fighting, the movement system (I like SCV's the best; Sieg can sidestep in this game. Lol), variety in stages, soundtrack, combo system that doesn't make the characters seem as if they're 75% helium.

Only difference between SC and any other fighting game in my eyes is that amazing creation mode and the fan-service.

A weapon-based battle system is a big part of it for me; there's just an element of fantasy to it that your average hand-to-hand combat fighter just doesn't deliver for me. I think it gives a wider variety of styles, as well, and it helps those variations feel more natural.

Another large part of it would, I admit, be the creation mode - it's been quite effective in stealing away my time since it was introduced in SCIII. It's downright cathartic at times to be able to just get lost in the act of creation, from bringing the images you have in your head to life to just piecing stuff together and seeing what it can make. And while that can be a very frustrating process at times, there's not much that's quite as rewarding as watching it all come together.

- gameplay: It plays quite differently from other fighters, even other 3D fighters.
- fighting styles and weapons from all around the world
- characters and their backstories, especially when considered relative to a genre that's known for shallow story
- soundtrack (hasn't been quite the same since SC3, though there are some notable tracks in SC5)
- creation mode helps keep the game fresh

From a design standpoint, Soul Calibur is the perfect interpretation of a medieval Street Fighter. Think about it, the game follows (or at least used to follow) the principles of what makes SF designs good, they used the same exact formula for both generating the cast as a whole and designing each individual character. It also has the same basic concept: very different people from different cultures fighting each other.

From a gameplay standpoint, Soul Calibur is the most fluid and deep 3D fighter you can get without making the game extremely difficult to play, like Virtua Fighter. The use of weapons makes movement and positioning in all three X, Y and Z axes key to success in a fight, unlike in other games where crouching has no big impact against most characters, and moving three feet away from the enemy will keep you safe until you figure out what to do. You're also given a lot of freedom to play your own way, with amazing movement and defensive systems unless you're playing SCV. However, button mashers and amateurs can also do well against the CPU for the most part, which is a plus for casuals.

You also have to remember how extremely polished the games in this series are. The graphics are always the best in the genre whenever a new game comes out, both characters and stages have several layers of detail in the modeling and texturing. Animation is flawless, from attacks, to faces, to the bunnies behind the trees in Viola's stage, everything moves with a level of beauty and grace above anything else in the market. And let's not forget how EPIC the music is. And although this has been fading over time for some odd reason, the amount of single player content is (or was) simply above all else. You had arcade, mission mode, survival, team battle, character creation and several others. I mean, some of those missions were very cleverly made, and could both entertain and challenge you in very unique ways, with my personal favorites being the coliseum from SE, the lizardman invasion from SC, and the one where instead of lifebars, you and the enemy were given a certain amount of hits of resistance. These were simply genius ways of adding fun to the game while keeping the gameplay completely unchanged, and that was a feat back in 1998 fg's.

Ever since the very beginning, the SC series has been the most fluid, beautiful and innovative fighter in the market. It's pure awesomeness.

1.) Weapons, fighting game not a turn based game
2.) Characters that made me go "WHY WEREN'T THEY INCLUDED IN SCV?"
3.) Stages are beautiful
4.) CAS!
5.) The story was the only in any fighting game that made much sense (other than Street Fighter)

1. The cast of characters and diversity of weapon styles
2. Visuals and graphics
3. Epic music scores
4. CAS
5. Story in the game
6. A fanbase like no other

For me, it's the...
-Characters (So many memorable designs & personalities)
-Weapon Styles (Very diverse!)
-Graphics (The graphics have been so good, even in SCI on the Dreamcast.)
-Character Creation (Especially in SCV, it's the biggest one up to date in a normal fighter game)

Basically for me, when it used to be its own game.
- Veteran Rosters / Iconic Characters
- Original Gameplay Format
- Blade-Based weapons (No Ein / No crystal balls)
- 8way movement
- Skimpy / Transparent Clothing / Breast Physics and Upskirts.
- Dramatic Music
- Obnoxious CAS characters
- Ring Outs
- No empahsis on juggle heavy based combos like most modern fighters.
- "This battle strenghened the Soul of _______"

1) weapons. This allows for various ranges as apposed to hand to hand FG's were the ranges are much closer together.
2) diversity in fighting styles, various execution levels. Every person who plays any FG can have a character in SC that suits them well.
3) TRUE 3d. Horizontals mean something, air control exists, and an 8wayrun system. What other FG does all 3 of those wonderful things? NONE.
4) 60FPS. This allows for fluid animations and deep gameplay. If I remember right, SF only runs on 30FPS.
5) Minimal juggling. Juggling exists, but it isn't out-of-control like it is in other games, well I guess if you play Viola, it is :)
6) Not overly flashy. With games like Marvel Vs Capcom, there's so much flashy bullshit happening on the screen that I can't even tell what's going on. Not to mention that extreme flashiness can cause seizures.
7) long move lists. Someone once told me that SF characters only have about 25 moves, compare that to SC where on average they have about 100 moves. (don't believe me? count them yourself.)
8) Ringouts. It adds a whole new layer of mindgames to the equation!
9) the fact that block is not BACK, but instead a button.

-8WayRun.
-Weapons.
-Epic characters.
-Story(I know it is not that important)
-Original game play, unlike most of the 2D games...

What makes SC memorable?

-It's a 3d weapon-based fighting game.
-8WayRun
-Creation Mode. Not much of a notable thing, but it is a casual quirk.
-Unique story, unlike other competition. I commend Guilty Gear, and Blazblue for their unique storylines as well.
-Based on a historical setting
-Great Orchestral Soundtrack, and Jazz-Rock if you count Super Khan Session
-Willingness to change

Back