What's the best way to learn multiple movesets?

Retrotator1

[12] Conqueror
I want to get more competitive at SC5, but I still want to try using several different characters. I've mostly been used to fighting games with short move lists and I want to know how I should practice differently in games where move lists are longer. I want to get to a point where I would be comfortable with using almost any moveset in the game, maybe even the mimicks.

For playing competitively, Is it better to focus on using only 1-3 characters?

Is there much advantage to actually using more characters compared to only using 1-3 characters? (like knowing the opponent's moves)

What do you recommend I do in a battle where I do not know very many moves? Should I focus more on defense in those fights?

In what kind of order should I routinely practice with the characters in if I want to use nearly all of them? Should I try a routine practicing with 1 different character each day?

Last edited:
I want to get more competitive at SC5...
In that case I'd recommend picking 1-2 characters you actually like and focus on them. There's no problem picking other characters here and there for fun or for a welcome change. But you might find it difficult to improve much if you try to learn everyone. A big part of improving is learning the strengths and weaknesses of your character.

Learning other characters is good for learning about different aspects of the game, and different playstyles, and can also be good for learning how to play against some characters. But this is something that will probably only be useful once you're comfortable with your own character.

If you are set on playing everyone, you can probably find 'Top 10 moves' threads in each character section on this site. That way you can at least learn a good foundation for each character, although multiplied by 25+ this is still a lot of moves to remember.

Your focus and routines are up to you, in time you'll decide when you need to focus more on defense or whatever, but personally I think it's likely that trying to play all characters will hold you back a lot.

In that case, Here's what I might try for learning more moves.

Each day that I play, I'll practice 2 characters:

1st. my main (maybe a choice between Natsu, ZWEI, or Viola)

2nd. a choice of anyone else

Center your play style around universal tools and tactics like throws, mids, JG, whiff punishing, and movement, learn every character's interrupt options and bread and butter combos and you're already halfway done.

What is useful when playing multiple characters is learning movelist and situations by their properties and frame data, instead of by moves. Example:

Instead of saying: I can punish Move X with BB, try to think of it as "i can punish move X with an i14 Mid."

Or instead of saying i can punish this move by using my A+B, say i can punish this move by a tech crouching mid faster than i18 etc or by a tech crouching mid which has early TC frames etc.

When you learn the game more "universal" its easier to just go through moves, check their properties and make crosslinks to known situations, so you know faster which moves work in given situations.

Hope this makes sense :)

So you're saying to think more about the move types more than thinking about specific moves when you learn about an opponent's attacks?

I'm still learning some of the terminology, but I understand a little since I learned that frames are sort of a measure of time.

Yes im saying it helps to understand why a specific moves works in a given situation, ergo checking its properties etc once you find a "good" solution to a certain scenario instead of leaving it at "ok BB works for Patroklos". Learn it by saying "i15 Mid works against this". If you know this you read though a Frame Data and know exactly (more or less) what might work.

But this is maybe a bit too much to ask for if you are a beginner. Just learn by doing is probably the best. Understanding Frame data etc will come by time, and once you know this you can just read through a frame data and get a rough "feeling" for the moves, where you can apply them etc. Then again Frame Data is not everything :)

Last edited:
Generally people just say they've learned multiple movesets and suck equally with all of them. They don't bother figuring out what a character's core strategy is and just play every character the same.

Lucky Soul Calibur is fucking easy to learn movesets. Since everyone has the same moveset unless you're a cunt like Leixia. You can be like ohhhh what does 77B do and be enlightened as you play, whereas in Tekken/DoA etc you have to go into training and be like oh 66LP, LP, 3RK, LK, 8RP is a thing!

Lucky Soul Calibur is fucking easy to learn movesets. Since everyone has the same moveset unless you're a cunt like Leixia. You can be like ohhhh what does 77B do and be enlightened as you play, whereas in Tekken/DoA etc you have to go into training and be like oh 66LP, LP, 3RK, LK, 8RP is a thing!
gr8 b8

This kind of mindset isn't gonna help anyone with anything....unless you enjoy toying with a person who really wants to learn.

Last edited:
This kind of mindset isn't gonna help anyone with anything....unless you enjoy toying with a person who really wants to learn.

Encouraging someone is toying with them, what are you about? Everyone has the same moveset it has a name and everything this site is named after it you mongrel I mean sure there are exceptions but you're hardly gonna forget about Pyrrha fucking stab hence why you can train while you fight.

Perhaps I'm a bit too serious or I don't know you well enough. Most likely the latter, but let's take it to PMs if you want.

trolling is not very productive for gathering new initiates. I wish this kind of nonsense would stop.

Don't bother learning every character, that is a waste of time. Since you are new, you should focus on a single character for a good while. I only use 3 characters and I have no intention of learning anyone else.

I might just focus on 1 main when I'm trying win and play casual with everyone else.

Who do you think would be good to main? I'm trying to decide based on fun and how well received the character is, because I don't want too many complaints about my main being overpowered. Also, I hope not to be accused of spamming a character or a few moves.

I'm considering Natsu or ZWEI, but I've often heard that Natsu's overpowered.

Last edited:
I might just focus on 1 main when I'm trying win and play casual with everyone else.

Who do you think would be good to main? I'm trying to decide based on fun and how well received the character is, because I don't want too many complaints about my main being overpowered. Also, I hope not to be accused of spamming a character or a few moves.

This thread is very interessting because i like to play different characters too and i think it drags me down quite a bit. Maybe i should try to focus on just one character to get better but if i try to do so i will get bored soon. It is quite a dilemma...

Spamming itself seems to be a "cheap" strategy but if your opponent has no answer to your spamming he/she is the one to blame and not you. It won't work against better players however if you try to spam very unsafe moves or throws.

At first glance natsu looks overpowered as hell but she is not of course - she is just a noob killer with her bombs like maxi is with his fury kicks. If someone is focussed and won't get hit by her bombs or knows her stances it is much harder to win with her because she has weaknesses as every other character: her range is very bad, 66B BE can be ducked, generic 8B kills many of her low attacks and scares her to throw them out, to consistently do her best combos much training is needed.

If you like her and zwei i'd recommend to focus on these two. Both are rather difficult to master so it is the best solution in your situation in my oppinion.

Pick who fits like a glove to you and don't worry about the naysayers. If you like ZWEI, pick him. If you like Natsu more, pick her. Or you could do both. Really up to you.

I found when I tried learning multiple characters at once there's too much information at once. Best to stick around with one character and learn their moves, playstyles, and other information.

Back