When are you going to have to say "There are too many fighting games"?

SolidSonic

[09] Warrior
You can only spread your talent so thin before you end up a jack-of-all-trades and a master of none.

The genre definitely is starting to appear overstuffed.

Well, I think there are too many of certain types of fighters. Specifically, the Arcsys/dojin genre (Melty, AH3, Blazblue, all those lame dojin fighters that ripoff the games I mentioned).

I don't think the 3d genre is oversatured. We've just had 1 VF, 1 Tekken, and 1 SC so far this gen, and the VF was effectively 360 only.

Capcom is milking things left and right though.

I think SC will be fine.

Fighters on a 2D plane, yes. It's like fighting games are becoming the new FPS. While they are all distinctly different, though, the fact that the attitudes of your 'average' fighting game enthusiast is reminiscent of those attitudes involved in 'console wars' is saddening.

^THIS!!

If anything is oversaturated its the damn FPS genre. I came from playing COD before SC4 came out, and now every mutha fuckin video game maker wants to cash in on what COD did for FPS's. As far as fighting games.....BRING EM ALL ON SON!!

HRD

So true, I'm so sick of the same old FPS bullcrap released mostly nowadays.>:(
On Topic: Never. 'Nuff said.;)

the thing is, in games like Marvel vs Capcom, BlazBlue, Guilty Gear etc. you can mash buttons and win... in games like SC and probably Mortal Kombat you actually need to know your shit >.>

You can only spread your talent so thin before you end up a jack-of-all-trades and a master of none.

The genre wasn't overstuffed in the 90's. It's not going to get overstuffed now. Plus the majority of people who play fighting games just play them for a few months anyway. We'll be fine.

Well you don't have to play all of them you know? Or at least you don't have to play all of them seriously. There are some games I learn because I particularly like something about their systems or style or becoming good at them and seeing them beyond entry level appeals to me while there are other games I only dabble in or play very little of because otherwise it wouldn't be any fun to play against my friends.

I wouldn't say the market is looking over saturated. If anything, more variety is a good thing. It increases the likelihood that there will be something that will appeal to anyone. In the end you only have so much free time so just pick your stable of personal favorites an apportion it accordingly.

It is already over saturated, which means soon only a handful of companies will be making any real money from FGs. Those being Namco and Capcom. Japan has a plethora of 2d fighters it releases every year, whose going to play them; especially at this astounding rate of production?

FGs are different from FPS in that you actually need to invest some serious time to get good at them...you can't just pick them up and play. Or at least I can't. Because they're quick to pick up, follow a story, get online and play...FPS have more longevity and are better investment. Many of the FGs these guys buy they only play for a couple of months, and realize they don't really care for the game.

To me that's a waste of money. It's SC and Tekken for me.

If you paid attention you would realize that they're only a handful of players that are serious about FGs. In comparison with other gaming genres, I feel the FG community on average gets less newcomers, especially to the competitive scene. More than likely if a member is new to an FG he already plays another one in a different community.

Basically we just share players.

I play all figthing games i come across. Otherwise i play mostly Soul Calibur and MvC3 right now and i've pre-ordered Arcana Heart 3 now! =3

Fortunately, only a few fighting games that come out are actually GOOD. I mean, I don't play them for the stories or the pretty pictures; I play them for whats underneath the hood. Only so many fighting games are Mustangs, most are hampster powered shitboxes.

-Idle

There will never be enough!!

That being said, I agree that all fighting games need some amount of time to master, and that its not a pick up and play (except Capcom games);
besides, IMO there are only a couple of fighting games that I actually like (MK, MvC, SC). I don't care that devs are releasing another SFIV, I never liked street fighter at all.

I think I've tried just about everything under the sun this generation (the only exception being BlazBlue: Continuum Shift because I didn't really get into Calamity Trigger).

I think I've tried just about everything under the sun this generation (the only exception being BlazBlue: Continuum Shift because I didn't really get into Calamity Trigger).

Sour bit:
It's all about preferences. Stop whining.

Sweet bit:
It's all about preferences. Play what you like and don't fret too much about it.

Back