When are you going to have to say "There are too many fighting games"?

The late 90s was the start of the decline of the genre. It was the mid-90s that we had crap like Time Killers on the market that was choking out the genre. Every company under the sun tried to have its own fighting game. At least these days, in spite of the large number of fighting games out there or coming up, they're at least coming from "trusted" developers (studios that have published noteworhy fighters in the past, rather than any Joe Schmo-dev cranking out some puny one-on-one sack of manure).

The late 90s was the start of the decline of the genre. It was the mid-90s that we had crap like Time Killers on the market that was choking out the genre. Every company under the sun tried to have its own fighting game. At least these days, in spite of the large number of fighting games out there or coming up, they're at least coming from "trusted" developers (studios that have published noteworhy fighters in the past, rather than any Joe Schmo-dev cranking out some puny one-on-one sack of manure).

NRS, who made mk9, is very new to the 2d FG genre. you know what? they fucking nailed. they have a beautiful, unique, fun to watch and more fun to play game. i give any and all developers a chance, especially in this day and age where just about any kid can make a working game.

Netherrealm Studios is the remnants of Midway Chicago. They were swept up by Warner Bros. but the developers who work there are NOT new to Mortal Kombat.

And to be frank, Mortal Kombat (at least to me) has not been a great fighting game series at all. I like to watch it but playing the game was always...meh. Mortal Kombat 9 is the first and only game I really consider a damn fine effort from the series. It plays and feels like a fighting game should, not just two people hitting each other.

There will be too many fighting games the day SC 5 comes out. When that day comes they should ALL be abolished! (Excluding past SC games and possibly MK9, I'm still trying to see how much I like that game).

Reactions: HRD
the thing is, in games like Marvel vs Capcom, BlazBlue, Guilty Gear etc. you can mash buttons and win... in games like SC and probably Mortal Kombat you actually need to know your shit >.>

Regarding Guilty Gear, I can very safely say that you have zero fucking idea what you're talking about.

Fortunately, only a few fighting games that come out are actually GOOD. I mean, I don't play them for the stories or the pretty pictures; I play them for whats underneath the hood. Only so many fighting games are Mustangs, most are hampster powered shitboxes.

-Idle

lol

Back on topic, I'd say no. There's still only a couple "major" games and a bunch that most people don't play. At most we'll have one more if MK9 sticks. Ten bucks says that SFxT is shovel-ware.

When there are too many GOOD fighting games, then yeah, I'd say there are too many. Right now is lol. AH3 was the last good fighting game released imo.

Other fighting games are for "casual-have-friends-over-competition" games.
SC however, is the only game I intend to stay hardcore competitive for.
At least how I see it.

When there are too many GOOD fighting games, then yeah, I'd say there are too many. Right now is lol. AH3 was the last good fighting game released imo.
I agree with this statement. There may be quite a few games in this genre, but the majority, as most people will say, are simply poorly executed and shunted to the side to make room for the "higher-grade" fighting games.

I also second the notion that FPS is the most over-exploited genre in the gaming world.

I can't even play FPS due to Motion Sickness lol. Only exception being Metroid Prime Games, which, luckily, are also my favorite FPS.

Back to topic:
The good thing about many fighting games would be that the increased competition forces the developers to make better games if they wanna sell them.

Game quality and sales aren't correlated that much when it comes to fighters. Otherwise VF would have sold a lot better, and Marvel wouldn't have sold that well.

the thing is, in games like Marvel vs Capcom, BlazBlue, Guilty Gear etc. you can mash buttons and win... in games like SC and probably Mortal Kombat you actually need to know your shit >.>

Lol you can't mash buttons and win in any of those games. You will just get blocked and punished until dead. I can't think of ANY game where pressing a random button is ever better than pressing a button that is useful in the situation.

Button mashing always seems like an effective strategy to a person who has no real idea of what they're doing.

Lol you can't mash buttons and win in any of those games. You will just get blocked and punished until dead. I can't think of ANY game where pressing a random button is ever better than pressing a button that is useful in the situation.

Bloody Roar 4... >.>

But hey, I LOVE fighting games. I try to buy everyone of them. Am I in support of fighting games becoming then next FPS? No... Sides, go to Japan. Nah, scratch that. LOOK at Japan. FPS to USA is like RPG to JAPAN. But they do have more fighters then us.

If you really think about it. Atleast in 2011 there are alot of Fighting games are good. Back in the day, there where not as many fighting games and most of them where BAD! Battle Arena Toshiden, Bloody Roar, Fighting Vipers, Capcom FIghting Evolution, SvC: Choas... Might have spread the time frame abit but still. Least I can name many GOOD fighting games. I can't think of any truly bad fighting games in the past five years...

I see it this way. There is a First Person Shooter release at least once every two months. And that's just FPS, not counting 3rd Person Shooters or Side Scrolling shooters. XBL is FILLED with them. Personally think 3rdPS > 1stPS but that's just me. People love shooting things and blowing them up more then pulling of a 6 hit rush down into launcher into 8 hit air rave into knock down otg into super. :\

If we have a Fighting game released every two months then yes, there will be too many fighting games.

Spoken like a true guy, who doesn't know the games
But I can never get enough fighting games.

I'll say we have too many fighting games when:
A) there become more of them than there are fps

or

B) we end up on like SC XIV, with TekkenXVI and SSF XV are released along with BBCS IX, MK XXI, and so on and so forth. and that likely wont be in my life time XD

Back