Who will be the breakout character in SCV?

Mandy

Yes, a guy.
I know everyone has been doing their preliminary tier lists, but as always there seems to be a breakout character that seems to pop out of nowhere to succeed on the tournament level despite being written off as "mid-tier". After having played the game for quite a while, and watching quite a bit of 8WR stream matches (please hold the "online doesn't count" comments). I think I have a good idea of what characters will start seeing more of an appearance.

My perdictions:
Yoshimitsu - Probably the best mix-ups in the game
Patroklos - Despite having less tools than Pyrrha, has better range and RO game.

Honorable mention:
Viola - This may be the only iffy one, but there are many orb combos where you just feel helpless as 1/4th your lfie disapears.

And I don't think that Natsu will fall off the chart any time soon unless Bamco nerfs her; which we all know won't happen.

Yoshimitsu - Probably the best mix-ups in the game
What? No.

Patroklos - Despite having less tools than Pyrrha, has better range and RO game.
But isn't he generally less safe and has less mix-ups? Being RO-based isn't really something you should vie for.

Viola - This may be the only iffy one, but there are many orb combos where you just feel helpless as 1/4th your lfie disapears.
1/4th of your life disappearing off of combos that start with a mid isn't really that impressive.

I'm gonna buck the trend and say Zwei, despite him being slapped down by about 99% of users in the right hands hes a fucking nuisance!

I'm gonna buck the trend and say Zwei, despite him being slapped down by about 99% of users in the right hands hes a fucking nuisance!
He is almost always unsafe, lacking in range, overall slow, linear, and largely comprised of gimmicks. Honestly, the only way you can lose to Zwei is through good ol' character ignorance.

OT: Maybe it's just me, but I can't recall seeing a Cervy player in any of the tournament videos I've watched and I've only seen one good one online. Where's the Cervy love at?

He is almost always unsafe, lacking in range, overall slow, linear, and largely comprised of gimmicks. Honestly, the only way you can lose to Zwei is through good ol' character ignorance.

OT: Maybe it's just me, but I can't recall seeing a Cervy player in any of the tournament videos I've watched and I've only seen one good one online. Where's the Cervy love at?

Well outside of him i'm gonna say Maxi, button mashers unite! Your favourite 'hit any button' character for combos is actually quite strong in this iteration of SC.

One character that comes to mind is Algol. I've never seen him used in a tournament, yet he strikes me as one of the strongest characters in the game. A true sleeper IMO.

You will see him used more in the future. He doesn't seem like he has any glaring weaknesses. He's got good speed, good damage, good ring-outs, good range and spacing, a nasty CE (it does take 1 1/2 bar to get the full effect, but it still hits like a fucking semi-truck).

You know, as I'm writing this, it dawned on me that learning him wouldn't be a bad idea :)

I actually think everyone agrees that algol is top-tier so he shouldnt be mentioned here. Tiers dont actually matter (yet) for tournament play. People actually play characters they like most :P

^
Thats what everyone says about their main. Doesnt make it true by any stretch though.
Algol has the best spacing in the game, very good punishing, tools for all ranges, gets the most dmg and use out of meter and so on. He also is very safe and can both hurt ducking and stepping easily with his arsenal. Not even talking about his CE which basically means that algol only has to win 2 rounds in a Bo3 because round #3 is free. 160~190 dmg off of basically every knd move if full meter in itself is incredible.
Algol has no outstanding weaknesses but performs well in every regard. Very good allrounder with pretty much the best tools and gimmicks in the game and insanely damaging for what he can do.

I dont really think there are and will be any big suprises in SC5 concerning how the characters perform.
I find it quite easy to catergorize the cast in SC5 and there are some that simply perform their task better than others and theres no way that will change if we dont get huge balancing patches.
For example nightmare and sieg are somewhat similar in fighting style and in what they want to achieve. Nightmare performs better than sieg in every thinkable way, so as long as nightmare exists sieg cant possibly break out of his hole. Same for pressure/rushdown (alpha) punishing (pyrrha) spacing (algol) and so on.

Everything else is just gimmicks that will eventually loose its flavour as people get better. Maxi comes to mind. Im having a hard time reading and seeing the different strings he does, but potentially I know how to punish all of them heavily. So if I get better and put that knowledge into work his gimmicks will be useless vs me. But having an i14/15 punisher will always be good as there is no easy way to counter that without severely crippling the own moveset.

Algol's anti step isn't as good as you seem to think it is and is probably his primary weakness. CE is not free from "basically every knockdown move" either. His wakeup game is also kinda crappy to say the least.

To me his wakeup game feels VERY strong. I mean he can CE and BE you on the ground for huuuuuge damage, so staying on the ground basically is no option against him. 22B, 1A, 2BK are just a couple of good options on top of my head.
And for anti-step: thats the same issue for almost everyone tbh. Ive been testing like 2/3rd of the cast to find a main and everyone had the same issue: bad anti-step. Barely any character can claim to be good vs stepping imo. And its not like he is bad. His anti-step tools are somewhat unsafe, but at least they hurt a ton which tbh is more important because that actually makes me not want to step him.
Either way, overall he is very good in pretty much every important aspect of the game and at least respectable in his weaker ones. He is definatly in the upper third of the cast and arguably higher. For me personally he is top 5 easily.

CE is unsafe on block, 3B BE is unsafe on block (and rollable at least one side generally) and both take meter to do. If they are just playing dead they will have time to block if they see you doing CE, it's not unblockable after the flash. It does catch siderolls nicely though. 1A is easily blockable on reaction and basically sucks a lot. 2B+KB is pretty good but doesn't generally hit sideroll, is reactable, and the bubble is unsafe on block. 22B is usable but very linear and punishable if they side rolled and slow enough that wakeup attacks can hit him out. His problem is that he lacks a good grounded hitting mid that is both safe (or near safe) and damaging.

Nightmare has very good anti step. Some other characters like pyrrha at least have a reasonably safe mid stepkill like her 66A etc. Algol's stepkill is all highs really. His only mid stepkill are 3AA (weak dmg/unsafe/stabbale/justguardable) and 22A (really slow).

Its not about using them on wakeup, its about the possibilty of doing so that prevents someone from staying down.
And yeah alot is possible in theory. I for one always hit with 1A if I dont spamm it several times in a round. Nobody ever blocks it on the first attempt. And when it hits you just CE and gg, won round.
A good ground hitting mid that is safe AND damaging? Well duh, everyone wants that, but it alone would make algol borderline ridiculous. Besides, barely anyone has such an amazing tool. Wakeup game is all guess game, it would be hella dumb if algol had a perfect option.

Nightmare has good antistep yes. Pyrrhas antistep isnt scarry at all if we talk risk reward, and this is true for algol and pretty much everyone else. Theres a tendency of slow, high ranged characters having good stepkill, but everyone else is meh. I personally dont think 3x-ish damage without knd/combo is scary and sad fact is, thats all most get against stepping. From that perspective algol isnt that bad.

Recently I've seen some pretty nasty Tira players floating around online. It's probably because of my lack of character knowledge, but I think a lot of people seem to be undermining her potential. I need to do some experimenting...

Recently I've seen some pretty nasty Tira players floating around online. It's probably because of my lack of character knowledge, but I think a lot of people seem to be undermining her potential. I need to do some experimenting...
Project Soul didn't. They're nerfing her come morning.

Back