Who would you consider Irreplacable Soul Veterans?

Thaeonblade

[09] Warrior
As much as some of us would like to always keep every character in the series for the entire series, sometimes room must be made for future newcomers to the soul series. Inevitably, some characters simply have to retire or considering the dangerous nature of their journey, they could even die.

Out of all of the characters from Soul Blade and Soul Calibur I, which ones would you consider irreplaceable in from a story and gameplay perspective?

My list would include Mitsurugi, Taki, Maxi, Nightmare, Astaroth, Lizardman, Yoshimitsu, and Ivy.

I almost put in Siegfried and Seong Mina, but that would be a little biased since they're a few of my favorite characters and their weapon style can always be taken up by their son/daughter or a disciple. Plus their character arcs would probably be resolved by V. Siegfried found redemption and Mina probably found Yunseong and brought him home.

I even like the idea of Astaroth and Yoshimitsu being "legacy characters" which would allow the "old" incarnations to be retired while still providing a successor and the style.

So how about it? Amongst the Soul Blade and Soul Calibur 1 cast, who would you consider "staples" of the series who are there to stay and whose run their course and can retire with honor?

From SB to SC1, the irreplaceable characters in my book are Mitsurugi, Taki, Nightmare, Astaroth, Cervantes, Ivy, and Yoshimitsu.

I don't think I really would consider anyone absolutely irreplacable as such, as long as they are replaced for a good reason by someone interesting. The focal point of the story should be the swords. I am however greatly pissed at characters being replaced with one-dimensional and silly anime wannabes cloning their movesets.

Gameplay wise:

Ivy
Nightmare
Cervantes
Voldo
Yoshimitsu

Storyline wise:

Pretty much everyone, but the main ones for me would be Siegfried, Nightmare, Xianghua, Maxi, Kilik, and a few others I'm completely forgetting about

Hmm

Ivy - pretty much been the cover girl since SC1. Its the white punky hair and the sword whip.
Mitsurugi - More of the mascot character Namco has.
Nightmare - Used to think that his time would run out but I just love his appearance in SCV.
Yoshimitsu - Again like Mitsurugi really.

Thats about it.
Kilik was the CHOSEN one in Calibur 1. But for some reason they pushed Siegfried in SCIII.
Still surprised that Maxi made it into SCV.

As for the rest at one point or another they tried to replace or remove them from the game. (Yes I know Arthur) Would have put Taki up there until SCV.

Right now i don't want to play a SC where Hilde isn't available, will be interesting to see how long she'll remain or one of her children succeed her...

Mitsu, Ivy, Nightmare, Astaroth, Voldo. I'd say Raph and Tira have also solidified by now.

After removing Taki I can't be too sure about anyone else.

I think the general... Mitsurugi, Taki, Ivy, Nightmare, Voldo, & Astaroth are the irreplaceable ones. I'd include Raphael and Tira as well because they have been fleshed out a lot for the most part. I would have added Siegfried too but I do find if they were to replace him with another guy who used a big sword on the side of good, it wouldn't be so hard to part ways with him considering we've seen him come to redemption.

IMO everyone is irreplaceable but everyone is dispensable, I mean there is no one essential for the series, you could perfectly remove them all and still go on with new characters. What you can't do is replace them, well, you can but obviusly lot of people will be uneasy with the decission.

I personally never understood that "replace X character with a younger version" damn it, if you want to remove a character remove it and if you want to put a new one do it, but don't take out a character just to put a lame copy of the same character.

IMO everyone is irreplaceable but everyone is dispensable, I mean there is no one essential for the series, you could perfectly remove them all and still go on with new characters. What you can't do is replace them, well, you can but obviusly lot of people will be uneasy with the decission.

I personally never understood that "replace X character with a younger version" damn it, if you want to remove a character remove it and if you want to put a new one do it, but don't take out a character just to put a lame copy of the same character.
I agree with this. This is why it took me a long time to come to terms with Natsu since Taki practically was my main from SC3-SCSIV.

I would be pleasantly surprised if Amy replaced Raph in the next installment. But if that were to happen, SoulCal 6 would have less class.

Basically everyone that stayed with the series until SC5 that were replaced with annoying 1-dimentional counterparts. All the recognizable faces that people know the franchise fro, are the veterans. Even people who dont play the game know who Seung-Mina is and Taki are.

Last edited:
Q- Who would you consider Irreplacable Soul Veterans?

A- All of them, also the ones yet fired. I love SC more than any other game, but fuck theyr horrible cast choices.
Damn, from Sc1 to SC3, the series got by far the best cast of FG history

Q- Who would you consider Irreplacable Soul Veterans?

A- All of them, also the ones yet fired. I love SC more than any other game, but fuck theyr horrible cast choices.
Damn, from Sc1 to SC3, the series got by far the best cast of FG history
Yeah man! Necrid and Olcadan are legends! Bring 'em back!

Back