Why are Yoshimitsus GI's so terrible?

1san

[08] Mercenary
Firstly this isn't a rant or anything, I'm just seriously questioning why they had to make his GI's both have flaws... you know on top of being punished if you don't time them correctly.

Also before you say hey, wait a tick, his A+K can keep your opponents at bay, especially the ones that get all up in your face. I am not referring to this, what I'm referring to is when you throw out a GI and it connects.

So we've got 2 GI's to work with:

A+K

and

IND A+B

So let's start with A+K. Ok, so when this connects (not talking about the stun hit), it really doesn't do much to your opponent damage wise. What it really does, is levels up your IFP. The major problem lies with actually landing this sucker. It only picks up horizontals, and for those most part that would've been fine and dandy, except for the part where it doesn't pick up low horizontals like Cervy's A+B GI does. Trying to actually land this GI is like trying to win a soccer game with your goalie wearing a T-shirt over his head. Not impossible but certainly a difficult task. Why couldn't they make this GI catch low horizontals, or even simply catch both high horizontals and verticals? Even still they could've made it only catch high verticals and that still would've been better than what we currently have. I realize that some IFP moves are really good, but your still taking a gamble not knowing what will come out. So really, what gives, why did they make it so hard to get this GI?

Now onto IND A+B

Could've been a wonderful defense tool, Instead what do we get? We get a one of the worst Gi's in the game. Several character can punish this for huge damage, Astorth can Jump and break your back, Natsu can nab you out of the air, and there are a few characters that can simply do a BE and get you, and there are countless other punishes I've seen done. On top of this, your opponent can literally run away from your attack...yea I'm not joking. Then to put that final cherry on top, any character can Just Guard you, then proceed to punish. If your lucky enough to get the attack in, you'll slip and fall and take a nice chuck of damage out of yourself, or hitting K, K you can flip back into standing and heal a little bit. That would've been cool and all except that your wide open after this, and become easy ring out pickings for characters with a decent long reaching attack. I know this GI is very easy to land, but seriously they could've at least put your opponent into a stunned state until you got the hit in. That's usually how the other GI's work, why make this one so bad? Was this even intentional?

Last edited:
A+K doesn't aGI verts... it aGIs horizontal highs and mids with some body attacks. Good for stopping some mix up situations like when you block Cervy 4B BE.

Sorry I got the two confused, let me just fix that.

But its still very hard to land it.

A+K has the added advantage of being an i6 attack that can "absorb" other attacks (i.e. their hurtbox has to extend into A+K's hitbox). Limited, but can be useful for interrupting in some situations--for example, it beats Cerv's BT B+K after blocking 4B BE.

It'd be nice if there was more consistency to the actual aGI part of it rather than just clashing with the opponent's attack, but there was probably no workaround that didn't involve throwing out the clash and aGI code they've been using since forever.

A+K is fucking amazing, I don't know what you're talking about. Just don't throw it out willy nilly and use it in circumstances where you know it is effective and you'll see how good it is. It has an active hitbox that stuffs ANYTHING if it has a forward moving hitbox and you use it at the right time on top of the actual aGI. There are instances of free damage as well with the aGI but you have to study up on your frames and why you can get certain things at certain times.

Anything from MED/IND is useless anyways so I don't know why you'd be using an aGI from it.

A+K helps out vs cervy (basically nullify BE GDR mixups on block if he decides to do anything), Nightmare, Astaroth, and basically any slow horizontal. Doesnt it guarantee an attack up to 14 frames or less after a successful GI? (range dependent i think)

Looks like an A+K guide is in order... the short answer is that what you get for free depends on where in the animation the aGI occurs. Certain setups can grant you 3B or CE if successful, giving better reward than either JG or normal GI.

IND A+B, however, is trash. Use 6A+BK if you want to dodge things.

Last edited:
A+K is fucking amazing, I don't know what you're talking about. Just don't throw it out willy nilly and use it in circumstances where you know it is effective and you'll see how good it is. It has an active hitbox that stuffs ANYTHING if it has a forward moving hitbox and you use it at the right time on top of the actual aGI. There are instances of free damage as well with the aGI but you have to study up on your frames and why you can get certain things at certain times.

Anything from MED/IND is useless anyways so I don't know why you'd be using an aGI from it.

You must've skimmed my post, or only read the title mlk.

The part where I said: "Also before you say hey, wait a tick, his A+K can keep your opponents at bay, especially the ones that get all up in your face. I am not referring to this, what I'm referring to is when you throw out a GI and it connects." and "So let's start with A+K. Ok, so when this connects (not talking about the stun hit), it really doesn't do much to your opponent damage wise."

I'm not talking about the the little stun hitbox part of the GI, I'm talking about when you actually land the GI and it levels up your IFP. They make this thing only catch horizontals, all I'm asking is why they decided to make the GI so hard to land(for instance why couldn't they make it catch low horizontals to make IFP more viable in battle), and I'm also asking why they even made IND A+B punishable, when most of the other GI's your at least guaranteed the damage if you land it? Does Namco consider Yoshi's GI moves to not be worth tweaking perhaps? Would SCVI fix on these GI's or will they just always keep his GI's how they are now?

Remember when Yoshimitsu's A+K used to copies peoples moves in Tekken 4. Shit was doss.

The advanced guide for A+K is an excellent starting point, thanks Signia. Definitely has potential for new set-ups to use dat meter and alternatives for 2A happy opponents

Back