Why Soul Calibur? What makes it stand out?

Me and my mum were very addicted to the Tekken 3. We loved that game back in the day. Team Battle till early morning.

I saw Soul Calibur and while hitting puberty became quite attracted to Ivy. (Honey from Fighting Vipers on the Saturn too... I'm a whore) I did play Soul Edge but I didn't like it as much as Tekken 3. But I played SC on the Dreamcast and I fell in love. So fast, fluid, amazing looking. All the multiplayer stuff from Tekken 3 with a single player mode that was amazing.

SC1 later moved to SC2. SC3 took out all the team battle so me and mum never really played it.

I love Soul Calibur because
a) They are amazing looking. Yes DOA4 might have been Technically better but its ugly as shit to SC3
b) Easy to pick up.
c) I guess now, nostalgia.

Weapons, and the freedom of movement. I love that I always have the ability to manoeuvre myself around the ring and am never locked down in one place. SC2 on Gamecube was my intro. to the series, and even though I played it very casually, I loved it for the reasons stated.

In the beginning, it was the fact that it was a fighting game in a real historical setting that actually had depth. They've pissed all over the historical aspect of the game, but it's still a deep fighter. I also like the 3d movement. It's actually intuitive, and the simple 8wr commands make it feel like actually moving around in real life, unlike Tekken, which feels like you're riding a bicycle with square wheels. I also used to like the story, but it's gotten pretty stale after 5 games. How many times can SE be busted apart and put back together? I think they need new writers to come up with something fresh.

In the beginning, it was the fact that it was a fighting game in a real historical setting that actually had depth. They've pissed all over the historical aspect of the game, but it's still a deep fighter. I also like the 3d movement. It's actually intuitive, and the simple 8wr commands make it feel like actually moving around in real life, unlike Tekken, which feels like you're riding a bicycle with square wheels. I also used to like the story, but it's gotten pretty stale after 5 games. How many times can SE be busted apart and put back together? I think they need new writers to come up with something fresh.
The current story and the love between brother and sister makes me wonder if the next SC will have a few inbred fighters. Maybe they could get "Sloth" from "The Goonies" to voice over an SC version of "Hey You guuuyyyss!". But yeah, it would be cool to skip a hundred years or so and have all new characters.

Me and my mum were very addicted to the Tekken 3. We loved that game back in the day. Team Battle till early morning.

I saw Soul Calibur and while hitting puberty became quite attracted to Ivy. (Honey from Fighting Vipers on the Saturn too... I'm a whore) I did play Soul Edge but I didn't like it as much as Tekken 3. But I played SC on the Dreamcast and I fell in love. So fast, fluid, amazing looking. All the multiplayer stuff from Tekken 3 with a single player mode that was amazing.

SC1 later moved to SC2. SC3 took out all the team battle so me and mum never really played it.

I love Soul Calibur because
a) They are amazing looking. Yes DOA4 might have been Technically better but its ugly as shit to SC3
b) Easy to pick up.
c) I guess now, nostalgia.

Wow dude, you have a badass mom. She actually plays video games with ya.
Pro

That's a win in my book if you have a mom that plays Soul Calibur.

Some guy at EBGames (now Gamestop) recommended SC2 to me when i was 7 (7 years ago)
never played fighting games before.
Soulcalibur was basically what i thought all fighters were.
BTW: this game was flashy and colorful and kids like flashy and colorful things
PS: I probrably sucked at Soulcalibur until the 4th one.

boobs.

kidding, of course. But the Soul Calibur series has stood out in contrast to other fighting games were the exclusive characters they had on each platform back in the day.

It also plays differently. Sure, it's a three dimensional playing field, but theres also block as a button, which i found very interesting.

Each character had their own personality, and their own weapon, which made them unique.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention the incredible visuals.

virtua fighter is where guard as a button comes from.

I think mortal kombat may have had it first. But I hate that hold-back-to-guard stuff. A block button is much easier.

I think mortal kombat may have had it first. But I hate that hold-back-to-guard stuff. A block button is much easier.

Woops I think you're right. I wasn't thinking of 2D games.
I like hold back but button guard makes complete sense also and works really well for 3D games.

I guess I'm just hooked from Soul Calibur 2 and always expect something robust an amazing. These past two games have not been such, however SCV is still playable and enjoyable offline. what makes it stand out?

It's use of Just Frame mechanics, that made me enthralled to play just so I could perform the justs at will and to put what I practiced in play. I also feel like I can move in SC as opposed to tekken where it feels like I'm a puppet on a string. other than game play I don't think there is much of a stake in it for me as much as others. The characters annoy me the story is terrible now, The move sets while diverse don't really have much to offer me as a player, but this may be different for others.

I will however say I am a Versus player and will always stay true to 2-D. so you can take what I say with a grain of salt

Some older friends got me into the original Soulcalibur. I hate getting my ass kicked at anything so when I was losing pretty consistently I vowed to get better. I eventually did and my Cerv was feared all throughout the small town I lived in, haha. It was all the close matches, the characters, the varied feel of each character, and the music that kept everything fresh and cohesive. I've been a fan since.

What made me want to play competitively was playing SCIV. I hated how slow the movement was and how lost I felt overall. My roommate was beating my 2/5 matches with simple run up grab/mid mixups and it made me take a step back and analyze my playing and read a few forums (this one in particular). My overall dislike of the system in IV caused me to get better as a player. Now that V is out and has the movement options of the original (albeit still a bit slower), some new tricks, and I am much better myself I am here to stay longer. The only other fighters I play competitively are 3rd Strike and Tekken pre-juggle whore era. So, I don't exactly have a thriving community outside of SC.

my father brought me SoulEdge when i was 9 years old(yeah he love video game but only the old ones lol)
i had so much with this game and Sophitia became my favorite/best character and i attached and grew up with her following the whole sc series...until sc5 and his awful story and roster...
yes i followed the sc serie mostly because of her and Cassandra
why the sc serie is my favorite?(i dont count sc5 )
its the best fighting game with weapons
great characters,gameplay,sp mode

Characters mainly, and of course the gameplay. I know you could give those reasons about any fighting game but they're my main reasons for loving the series as much as I do.

For me it has to be the movement that makes you feel less constricted compared to games like Tekken or VF. The characters actually have CHARACTER! It isn't completely "Pick your cliche Martial Arts fighter, who acts exactly how they look!" There aren't bull environmental effects like DoA, I don't want to lose because some guy forgot his car had brakes, then decided not to swerve anyways. Oh and last but not least, characters actually have different play styles on SC, it isn't a juggle fest. :D

The characters actually have CHARACTER! It isn't completely "Pick your cliche Martial Arts fighter, who acts exactly how they look!"
Well, some SC characters are kinda cliche too. We have the knight, the ninja, the pirate, the samurai, the executioner... etc... and Elvis... with nunchucks.

Back