World Game Cup 2013 Results & Aftermath

The Soulcalibur V action at World Game Cup has concluded with lots of amazing matches that have taken place over the weekend that will be discussed and debated for some time to come until the next major tournament at least. Congratulations to all of the competitors who attended and to all of the staff who helped put on another amazing event.

header.png

Soulcalibur V Solo Results:

1. Shining Decopon (Tira) (Japan)
2. Sawazuma (Maxi) (Japan)
3. JAGTHEGEMINI (Astaroth) (Germany)
4. Kusanagi (Pyrrha Ω) (France)
5. Rufus (Natsu) (Russia)
5. Raziel (α Patroklos) (France)
7. GG|Kamichang (Hilde) (Japan)
7. Malek (Ivy) (France)

Soulcalibur V 3 on 3 Team Tournament Results:

1. Team KKK: Kira (Cervantes), Keysona (Patroklos), Kusanagi (Pyrrha Ω)
2. Team Odajima-Japan: GG|Kamichang (Hilde), RZR | Itabashi Zangief (Astaroth), Shining Decopon (Tira)
3. Team GOLD SCV 1: Shad (α Patroklos), Skyll (Mitsurugi), Lopez (Maxi)
3. Team Super Saiyan: Gohan (Raphael), Saitoh (Astaroth), Malek (Ivy)

Soulcalibur V 5 on 5 World Team Cup Results:

1. Team Japan: Sawazuma (Maxi), RZR|Itabashi Zangief (Astaroth), Shining Decopon (Tira), Hameko (Pyrrha Ω), GG|Kamichang (Hilde)
2. Team France: Kusanagi (Pyrrha Ω), Malek (Ivy), Kira (Cervantes), Skyll (Mitsurugi), Keysona (Patroklos)
3. Team Germany: Fleshmasher (Natsu), Kerrigan (Z.W.E.I.), JAGTHEGEMINI (Astaroth)
4. Team Netherlands – Bumfood (Aeon), Damiendo (Natsu), RcR 10 (Cervantes), Garzett (Nightmare), LLL|Malekith (Pyrrha)
5. Team Italy – MaxDamage (Aeon), Corden (Pyrrha), Asodimazze (Astaroth), SpikePino (Mitsurugi), Rikimaru (Patroklos)
5. Team International – GreenLeo (Patroklos), Rufus (Natsu), Chiyo (Leixia), Silent Joel (Cervantes), Hyrul (Tira)

Results
Twitter

Follow me @MaliceIsGDLK

And in Germany. Which in practice means she's banned from every European major, unless SCV makes SVB in London this year of course.

I wanna play against Shining Decopon. I need to improve so I can start getting a chance to fight these champions D:<

Saitoh and Raziel have made a WGC roundup thread on soulcalibur.fr, but I'll put shoutouts here to the non-FR players, as my post was already way too long there just for the French.

GERMANY

Kalas, I can not believe we did not play!! We somehow missed eachother at every opportunity. It was fun trying to push Leixia to her limits, and I think you me and Chiyo did pretty good. But it was great hanging out with you as always, and I really hope you can make it to London soon for some games.

Kerrigan - Panto got his revenge hahahaha. But congratulations on another good performance. Like Gohan you are sticking with a difficult character, rather than jumping on one of the stronger characters that you already play at a high level. I hope ZWEI brings you more luck in future tournaments, and that you can find some things to start causing people to fear ZWEI.

JAG - words defy me. You haven't even PLAYED this game. I guess it just shows how sheer natural talent can allow you to overcome any odds. 3rd at Cannes, above 3 Japanese and above EVERY FRENCH PLAYER, is so insanely good it's actually unbelievable. Congratulations man you deserve it. And it's great to see you playing the game again. Don't give up again man, for everyone else's sake!

Fleshmasher - It's always enjoyable hanging out with you too man. I guess you'll feel you could have done better, but at least you are sticking to the teleporting minx unlike TRAITORS such as Rufus and Rikimaru. We didn't get to play this time which is annoying, maybe if EBO happens this year we'll get another chance.

ITALY

Like everyone else I was really impressed by your level at this tournament. Rikimaru we never got that game and I never even saw one of your matches so I'll need to check out your play another time. Same goes for SantanaXXX. Asodimazze, matchup is not so bad for Leixia at all, you were winning because you were playing better than me, hopefully I'll get a chance someday to prove it to you :) SpikePINO, hope all that matchup stuff helped. I used to hate the Mitsu matchup, so I found a few things and they really helped when I was playing you. But your win over Itazan was one of the most memorable moments of the whole event, you never froze and kept attacking him which proved his undoing (in fact, everyone who beat a Japanese player applied the same aggressive mentality). And Darth Seppius I didn't even realise you were there, we played even back in the dark days of SCIV online but never got to play face to face, another regret of mine.

RUSSIA

Greenleo - when Belial said Rufus's "wife" had a higher skill level than him, I thought he was joking, but oh my god you are really strong. I saw you were really disappointed that you didn't get more wins in the tournaments, but I still think you did really well. And Rufus - your run through the tournament was incredible, beating so many killer players. I was told that you said Belial wouldn't be proud, but I bet there is a small corner of his heart weeping and whispering "You did good, son...."

BELGIUM

Davids and Zou - thanks for hosting us early on, it was really great to get some games in. Zou I think we both have got a lot better since last year, and Davids you did similar to JAG seeing as you got a series of wins even though you don't seem to have learned any matchups lol.

JAPAN

I have no idea whether you guys check this site, but it would have been plainly obvious to you that everyone was blown away by your level. It's like you were playing a different game, and I think every player improved just by playing you, even in the process of taking one severe beating after another.

For those reading this unfamiliar with the 5 representatives they had:

Kamichang :sc4hil1: - in Japan, video game pros are like rock stars right? This guy was the life of the tournament, standing up mid-match every time he connected a CE to point to his fans in appreciation. It was simultaneously hilarious and awesome. SCV was centre stage this time, not just an event for SC players like in previous years, and much of that was owed to the presence of the Japanese and especially Kamichang. Each of them spaced on zoned in a different level to the rest of us, and when you can zone like that with Hilde, it meant meant total annihilation for most players. The only surprise was that he didn't make it further in the tournament.

Suwazama :sc2maxi1: - Maxi is supposed to be a character with serious weaknesses, but this guy made it seem the other way round, testing and adapting to his opponents constantly. Everyone probably feels like they could've done better against this guy, but they didn't, because he was too sharp, too smart, too good. No surprise that it took Decopon to stop him.

Shining Decopon :sc3tir1: - Champion of EVO, champion of WGC, effectively champion of the world I think it's fair to say. The guy professionally dispatched every opponent he faced. I'd watched videos but simply couldn't understand the level Decopon has reached without seeing it in person. He has a SFIII/SFIV level of seriousness applied to this game and it shows. His only major loss was in the 3v3 final, where he got a little unlucky against Kusanagi, and he took it harder than I've ever seen a player take defeat. Decopon for me is showing us what it takes to be the best, and it's something that no player in the West has right now.

Itazan :sc1ast1: - famous VF player who came here after picking up SCV only a few months ago. He caused a total mental crisis amongst the French on day 1 when he proceeded to take apart their best players in freeplay and FT10s. Instantly the weaknesses of Astaroth seemed nowhere near as problematic. His pressure game and aggressive style was inspiring and very few players were trying to duck throws by the time they'd played this guy a few rounds.

Hameko :sc5se: - DNS B spam at it's very finest. JG DNS B everything, DNS B at all times, murder of the highest order. Personally I don't think Omega is one of the game's strongest characters, but he was taking chunk after chunk of damage from his opponents, while still moving and spacing expertly like his compatriots.

All in all it was an amazing event and I'm really pleased Silent Joel convinced me to go.

I don't know how many videos were taken of tournament and freeplay - it didn't seem like many - but I hope whatever available media there is does the whole thing justice, if that's possible.

Apologies to anyone I forgot - this plus the sc.fr post is too much text for anyone to read, but still I hope this event keeps the hype going and opens opportunities for more awesome events to come in the near future - especially in Europe where they're badly needed. The organisers of the WGC deserve a lot of credit for this.

By the way here are the full results from the tournament. I tried to figure these out from a picture of the finshed brackets (thanks Zou) so I may have made mistakes:

Zou has posted the bracket near the bottom of the page 3 of the 8wayrun results page.
I think the results were as follows. Sorry for any mistakes in placing or spelling:

1. Decopon
2. Suwazama
3. JAG
4. Kusanagi
5. Raziel / Rufus
7. GG|Kamichang / Malek

9. GOLD Shad / Kiradems / Pantocrator / Hyrul

13. Hameko / Skyll / GOLD Lopez / SpikePINO

17. Keysona / Darthseppius / Derfel / Asodimazze
/ Kerrigan / Kalas / SantanaXXX / Itazan

25. Gohan / Deus Kaliya / Chiyo / Rikimaru
/ Silent Joel / MaxDamage / Happy / Ryukozan

33. Marsnordahl / Zou / Greenleo / Leva
/ Sazayel / Syn_SC / Lionriver / Forn
/ Rukafr / Paguronero / Fleshmasher / Coden
/ Yolsgens / Elhin / Garzett / Davids

49. Rocktheplace / Lesageek / Sixct / IllMalekith
/ Headhot / Djo / Gryd / Dapinkfloyd
/ Hatsuzero / TheRandomFurrie / Necrosphyre
/ DN-RcR10 / Sena69

62. Zak / Guillermo / Orlando / GOLD Izno
/ Jo Cash / Angel / Druidzlubu / Dranakal
/ places2games / Stivilol / Maxi13 / Luckybird
/ ThePawt / Syu

Thank you :)

So, the 4 stronger japanese players were all on the same side of the bracket. Makes sense.. NOT.
Was it done to ensure more "interesting" finals? Maybe sponsors or some weak shit like that?

anyway, the VIDEOS recorded by Italians

(Coden Pyrrha vs Shining Decopon Tira) FT3
I misunderstood it as FT5 instead of best of 5 so i was a bit mindfucked by the sudden end :p

(Coden Pyrrha vs Kamichang Hilde) tourney match, third round winner bracket, FT2
Whaatz? Whaaaa? *points finger* lol

(SixCT Maxi, Coden Pyrrha vs Hameko Omega)
At 21 min i tag in; his rhytm is incredible, he is a machine, pure reflexes.

(Max Damage Aeon vs Shining Decopon Tira)
I didn't watch this one live, but i see now he did very well.

(Asodimazze Astaroth vs Sawazuma Maxi)

(Rikimaru Patroklos vs Sawazuma Maxi)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMZ1t1ExhFk

(Sawazuma Maxi vs SaNtanaXXX Astaroth, 2 parts)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu5JU8reIJs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5EMs4iN7vE

unknowns, please warn that youtube channel if you recognise any of them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvVIRBIfdAQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uH9pi2qa8M

(Shining Decopon Tira vs Leva Siegfried)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYPoXYoqyAA

(unknown Ivy vs Leva Siegfried)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE796gkY2kM

(Kamichan Aeon vs Dranakal Mitsu)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5x76I9Hcic

That's all for now. There are more videos recorded from Pitbull, but he's showing no sign of life (yet that endemic fever). They'll get uploaded, eventually.

Uh, any way to disable the automatic embedding that happens just on the first videos? That looks ugly.

God I wish we could a capture card for these matches, the whole wiggly camera guy thing is annoying. At least the audio isn't off.

Yeah the camera shaking sucks, but just be glad someone actually took the time to record this stuff. Not too many people film off-stream tournament matches and casual sets/money matches anymore these days.

The UK Marvel entrants were recording their sets, but they were pretty well equipped, lol.
(Spent all of Saturday night in the Marvel room, haha)

Big thx to Hazu for helping me to set up this journey!!!!

Shoutouts to Italians! Pino, Rikki, you are the best :3

Hope i can go to EBO next, and see there players from Asia and America.

I want to say thank you to Spike Pino first to be with me all of this journey.
Tnx to Rufus and all the russian guys for everything, Rufus you are a great person and a really strong player too!
GGS to all the players I played in tournament and in casuals and congrats to the Japanese players to show us a maverlous level of the game.
Tnx to Hazu for the organization and for all the info! I hope that next year there will be again this tournament, maybe with better rules :P
See you at Ebo!

Live streams

1 Viewers
아메이카
아메이카
[(kor/jpn)] 살아있습니다

This week's events

SoulCalibur VI EVO Japan side event
Ariake GYM-EX, Tokyo (Tokyo Big Site)
3-chōme-11-1 Ariake, Koto City, Tokyo 135-0063, Japan

Forum statistics

Threads