Xbox 1 tidbits

http://kotaku.com/microsoft-to-sell-next-gen-games-for-60-price-of-gami-513489951

The fact that it isn't increasing means its cheaper anyway. This is for 1st party games though.

That's nice and all, but that's a far cry from a $7 Steam sale. The argument just bugs me since nobody's said MS will ever adopt a Steam model, and Steam has to compete against a variety of services like GoG, Amazon etc. MS is offering a closed system with no real competition within their landscape. The only reason for lower game prices from MS is going to come indirectly from whatever pressure other platform holders like Sony and Nintendo can bring to bear.

It's not an especially good comparison IMO. It's certainly not a talking point I'd be willing to buy a system for.

That's nice and all, but that's a far cry from a $7 Steam sale. The argument just bugs me since nobody's said MS will ever adopt a Steam model, and Steam has to compete against a variety of services like GoG, Amazon etc. MS is offering a closed system with no real competition within their landscape. The only reason for lower game prices from MS is going to come indirectly from whatever pressure other platform holders like Sony and Nintendo can bring to bear.

It's not an especially good comparison IMO. It's certainly not a talking point I'd be willing to buy a system for.
If you buy 100 PS4 games over the course of its life span at $60+tax you spend 6,500 dollars.

You play 100 games during the X1 life span and you'd only be paying $650 dollars with the share feature, assuming you get 10 people together. Its even confirmed that dlc works in the share program too. That's already a considerable discount right there. Xbox has had a few Steam like sales with Alan Wake and the Twisted Pixel bundle on 360. As well as Catherine for $15 which is going on right now.

You should look into the instant game collection and PS+ sales before you go any further.
I have a PS3 and I know all about PS+. Its just by the time they started PS+, I either played the free games, owned the free games on 360 or had zero interest in them and it always kept ending up that way. They are also older titles whereas X1 they would be Day 1 brand new titles and any dlc shared amongst 10 people. Since we are talking next-gen I don't know what PS+ will actually offer out the gate other than Drive Club and indie games. If you don't see the benefit in game/dlc sharing+whatever sales M$ does then we have to agree to disagree.

Moving along

http://kotaku.com/the-xbox-one-beli..._source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow
Every game will have dedicated servers getting rid of host advantage. I wonder what this will do for fighting games online.

I have a PS3 and I know all about PS+. Its just by the time they started PS+, I either played the free games, owned the free games on 360 or had zero interest in them and it always kept ending up that way.

You know they didn't stop...

Not here to troll or anything but i see some misconceptions about the 10 person family system.

Here is a little interview with Microsofts Major Nelson that explains it a bit (its still a little vague though).
In short its not a sharing system, and more of a lending system between family members. You dont get 10 games or something like that. Think of it as having one digital game and being able to lend it to any of those ten people. Only one at a time though.

Relevant part starts at around 3:20:

You know they didn't stop...
I don't get what you mean? Up until Xcom this month I couldn't care less about the free games or had them already. The only reason I even care about Xcom is because my friend keeps going on and on about it. Even then I'm saving up my Bing reward points to buy Xcom off the XBL marketplace so I can't keep it forever and game share with him so we can play it together.

PS+ currently holds no value to me. PS+ on PS4 (somewhere down the line) will be another thing.

Not here to troll or anything but i see some misconceptions about the 10 person family system.

Here is a little interview with Microsofts Major Nelson that explains it a bit (its still a little vague though).
In short its not a sharing system, and more of a lending system between family members. You dont get 10 games or something like that. Think of it as having one digital game and being able to lend it to any of those ten people. Only one at a time though.

Relevant part starts at around 3:20:
3 things posted in this thread state otherwise. I'm not knocking Major Nelson or anything but in the follow-up video posted in the PS4 discussion thread Joe says "its confirmed that 2 people can play the same game." Joe also says "only the single player" but that's the first I've heard of that and to be honest it makes no sense. The Division is an MMORPG. Destiny is an MMOFPS or whatever Bungie calls it to build hype. Need For Speed Rivals is a MMO Racing game or at least blurs the line a bit. It just sounds like some games would instantly be locked out if that were the case.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license
"You will always be able to play your game, and anyone of you family members can be playing from you shared library at a given time"

Interesting report on what may have been happening behind the scenes of both consoles announcements.
DhnhFBX.jpg

Interesting bits. The eSRAM in the processor is possibly contributing to the higher cost.

MS seems to have been blindsided by Sony both in terms of hardware (8GB GDDR5) and DRM (the "leak" from several months ago). This also lines up with what has been reported in other sites like Ars.

3 things posted in this thread state otherwise. I'm not knocking Major Nelson or anything but in the follow-up video posted in the PS4 discussion thread Joe says "its confirmed that 2 people can play the same game." Joe also says "only the single player" but that's the first I've heard of that and to be honest it makes no sense. The Division is an MMORPG. Destiny is an MMOFPS or whatever Bungie calls it to build hype. Need For Speed Rivals is a MMO Racing game or at least blurs the line a bit. It just sounds like some games would instantly be locked out if that were the case.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license
"You will always be able to play your game, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time"

No contradiction there. MS worded it like that for a reason. Any ONE of your family members plus you equals 2.

Also, MS' PR really needs to all get on the same page. They're still out there giving conflicting info.

No contradiction there. MS worded it like that for a reason. Any ONE of your family members plus you equals 2.

Also, MS' PR really needs to all get on the same page. They're still out there giving conflicting info.
You seem to think that only one person can play that game ever or maybe I'm reading your post wrong. From my understanding each shared library comes with a one person limit. If Person A is using my copy of Kingdom Hearts 3 then Person B would have to wait till Person A frees up my shared copy of Kingdom Hearts 3. Meanwhile Person B could play from Person A's shared library while they wait.

It would be even better if each individual copy of my game could be played by one person but that's a stretch IMO. I'd love it though.

You seem to think that only one person can play that game ever or maybe I'm reading your post wrong. From my understanding each shared library comes with a one person limit. If Person A is using my copy of Kingdom Hearts 3 then Person B would have to wait till Person A frees up my shared copy of Kingdom Hearts 3. Meanwhile Person B could play from Person A's shared library while they wait.

I was thinking more that it'd only allow two concurrent users (owner and one other) on a title at a time.

I was thinking more that it'd only allow two concurrent users (owner and one other) on a title at a time.
Yeah that's what I think too but it will most likely depend upon how the games sharing system is structured. Would it be one master list or would each individual within the circles have their own shared games list.

With one master list it sounds like all shared copies would be up for grabs but I wonder if they'd list duplicates of the same game. Having our own list makes having duplicates more likely. That means 5 people would have to buy Battlefield for all 10 people in the circle to play. I'm hoping for the latter.

Even though I have zero intentions of getting either console at launch, MS needs to make a video to break this ish down.

Back