Xiba Matchups that just don't seem fair...

Back on subject here, how in the world does a Xiba even touch Natsu at all? Unless you're playing someone who whiffs alot, it feels like she can do whatever she wants because of the 66B, 22A threats. Even her unsafes are practically safe to him (A:6, 66K, AAB unless JG'd, etc). REM will only quiet down these moves for so long before 66B discourages it's use, imo.

In the case of Cerv, I don't know if it's really that bad for him. Though REM B totally whiffing on him is retarded.

@ZeroEffect: you still have to be willing to do REM to counter those horizontal moves. Even though Natsu's 66B is a hard counter to REM, that opens up opportunities for Xiba's step>3B/A+B or 22_88B. What hurts Xiba vs. Natsu is: he's extremely unsafe against her, his ideal range (mid-range) is negated by her toolkit (66B/A+B/66K), and his moves are way slower than hers. In this matchup, you're forced to roll the dice with REM/step/big moves and see how it goes. Personally, I go for big damage every single time; if I block anything I'm going for big lows, throws, A+B/3B, 6A to kill step, etc. If Natsu punishes, it's not that bad and you can possibly reset the situation in your favor with good reads. If Xiba lands any of that, then it could start building up momentum to win the round outright from his strong wakeup game. In the event where Natsu becomes aware of the fact that all I want is big damage, she may start opting for 9KA , AA, 2A for interupts as opposed to blocking...which is fine because Xiba can counter these interrupt attempts for huge damage + wakeup (REM, 4B, stepback 3B, super).

Natsu vs. Xiba is one of the worst matchups in the entire game in my opinion; it's easily 7-3 or worse. Xiba can't space her, nor can he outswing her, nor can he play safe against her. IMO, Xiba is at his strongest against Natsu when he blocks something (free mixup in most cases) or when he gets a knockdown, and only being able rely on two specific situations for variable damage is not enough lol.

Hey Guys. I noticed this whole forum for Xiba does not get many posts. Would you all like to have individual matchup threads like seen in the Raphael Forum or keep it like this. If you all would prefer to have individual threads that can be arranged.

Hey Guys. I noticed this whole forum for Xiba does not get many posts. Would you all like to have individual matchup threads like seen in the Raphael Forum or keep it like this. If you all would prefer to have individual threads that can be arranged.

That would be helpful to pinpoint information faster.

Personally I'm against having individual matchup threads for every character. It creates a lot of clutter and many of the threads have nothing contributed to them ever and just take up space. Having one consolidated matchup discussion thread is nice because if you want to find anti for any particular character you can just Google the character's name in that thread by doing something like this:
Code:
site:http://8wayrun.com/threads/xiba-matchups-that-just-dont-seem-fair.13744/ natsu

That searches the entire thread without getting the annoying "The search words were either too short or too common" problem that 8wayrun's search feature seems to get.

Personally I'm against having individual matchup threads for every character. It creates a lot of clutter and many of the threads have nothing contributed to them ever and just take up space. Having one consolidated matchup discussion thread is nice because if you want to find anti for any particular character you can just Google the character's name in that thread by doing something like this:
Code:
site:http://8wayrun.com/threads/xiba-matchups-that-just-dont-seem-fair.13744/ natsu

That searches the entire thread without getting the annoying "The search words were either too short or too common" problem that 8wayrun's search feature seems to get.
I agree man...To me it really looks all cluttered up and doesn't look good to me. I prefer if it were just one thread with all matchups involved.

Hi. I play Xiba because I haven't really learned how to play the other characters. He has cool-looking attacks, his special cracks me up (the slow-motion freeze of him getting ready to crack the other guy's skull in mid-air is great!) and my limited skills/attention span/commitment are pretty much gonna make me stick with him.
My only "Gee, I wish he could..." is some sort of quick jab to get in. From what my son has shown me, the basic mid-kick is pretty much it, and it's slower than the other characters' quick jabs. Xiba kinda forces you play differently, but I wouldn't say he's an underdog. Going up against the A.I. characters, Xiba is one of the tougher ones to beat. Patroklos and his sister are the toughest A.I.s to me. ("Look! They match!") Being the main characters, I'm sure they kinda get the best stats.
Great thread!

Keep on playing him and don't let other people opinions bring you down. Xiba is quite decent and has some really good moves too. It's just that getting good with a character that's not considered top-tier can be harder and a lot of weaklings give up or complain. But it's really rewarding when you achieve it.

His quick moves up close are K,2K, 3A, 2A and 6B. 3A is especially good being i14 and a horizontal mid. 6B is a bit slower but gives huge damage on CH. Also 6A would be your "quick jab to get in" at mid/close range. It also gives huge damage if you catch them stepping with it which is fairly easy due to how fast the move comes out at mid range.

I suggest you take a look at the frame data sometimes. It'll help, a lot.

Great tips, Reptile! Thank you! Gonna have to spend some time playing with these moves. Do you play the Aeon character? That's kind of my son's "Go-To" because of his great grab data.

The thing about Xiba is that you can mind fuck your opponent with quite ease. He will be expecting strings, so 6B into grab works since they are expecting the K follow up, 3A into 6B or into grab works since they are expecting the follow up, single A into 6B also works if they are planning on ducking and punishing... and many others.

You have to be very proactive on your approach. He can do wonders if you mix it up A LOT and keep your opponent guessing. And if he is guessing he is more likely to fall for CH's, which we know is Xiba's specialty.

NO NO NO NO. This will only over populate the amount of threads and the ones that are actually being used will be sent back to where people dont really go, and hence will eventually die.

Sorry for the double post guys but it is separate issues.

NO NO NO NO. This will only over populate the amount of threads and the ones that are actually being used will be sent back to where people dont really go, and hence will eventually die.

Sorry for the double post guys but it is separate issues.
Haha Xiba got an SA mod just as Viola did. Those are not my decisions anymore. That was ages ago i posted that.

Xiba does great against Sieg in my experience. You can fuck over his long range stance shenanigans with step into 4B, 22A, or 44B. Rem is awesome when you read an agA/6A/22A. 6A rapes his backdash and his sidesteps and up close his pokes are generally worse than yours. 6B, 3A, 1K, etc cover a lot of options against him. 22B/CE/3B also force him into a nasty reverse mixup after his 3(B)/WR (B) gets blocked. Xiba's 22B also makes him take a huge risk if he's trying to ring you out with 6A/agA and even 22A. Xiba's movement is way better too. 4A kills a lot of his mid-field options too.

Ivy is an annoying cunt with a strong keepout game that can make her frustrating to fight against but she's not broken. 214B and 3B are pretty retarded so you should learn to predict when they're coming and counter with 22A, 66A, 44A, or sidestep for a whiff punish.

Well. Xiba Stun game and Low advantage is probably the best in the game. It's just that you need to be more aggressive and abuse his lows for pressure stuns.

It is with great pleasure that I return years after posting this thread to tell you all...

I ride my stripper pole on Sieg/Night/Natsu face all day now.

It's been a pleasure seeing this thread develop and become a very useful discussion. After lots of hours practicing and reading every single post to this thread, I confidently regard myself as a "Competent Xiba Player".

So thanks for that. Now let's play.

Back