Xiba Patch 1.02 Change List & Discussion

D1X

[08] Mercenary
XibXiba Changes (1.02)
  • 6A.K (Cross Bo ~ Channeling Kick): shortened opponent’s block freeze.
  • 6B.K (Heavy Bo ~ Channeling Kick): shortened opponent’s block freeze. Decreased damage (20→16). Decreased 2nd attack’s guard burst damage and lowered rise in critical gauge.
  • 6B.kA+B+K (Heavy Bo ~ Kong’s Head Slam): decreased guard burst damage . Same change to 6A.kA+B+K (Cross Bo ~ Kong’s Head Slam), A+B.B.kA+B+K (Phoenix Spring ~ Kong’s Head Slam).
  • 3B.K during Hit K (Rising Monkey): shortened opponent’s block freeze decreased to maintain distance when 2nd attack is guarded.
  • Decreased 3rd attack’s damage (46→36).
  • 3B (Rising Monkey ~ Remembrance): increased time to shift to Remembrance. This will make it easier for players to deal with Remembrance attacks.
  • 66A (Gale Cross Haste): decreased guard burst damage and lowered rise in critical gauge.
  • 22 or 88A.B (Mountain Carve): shortened opponent’s block freeze decreased to maintain distance when 2nd attack is guarded.
  • 66 or 33 or 99B.B (Raging Monkey): shortened opponent’s block freeze.
  • 66K.B (Kong’s Ryui Bang Tail): shortened opponent’s block freeze on 1st attack.
  • During Remembrance A.K (Kong’s Scarlet Remembrance): shortened opponent’s block freeze on 1st attack. Decreased guard burst damage and lowered rise in critical gauge. Lengthened opponent’s block freeze on 2nd attack.
  • During Remembrance B (Quaking Remembrance): decreased damage (24→22).
  • 236236A+B+K (Kong’s Dance of Qi Tian Da Sheng): shortened opponent’s block freeze.
...discuss.

The main issue here is whether Channeling Kick is punishable on block. Because if it's just like -10 or something, it won't really affect how I use it.
Likewise for REM A. If it's punishable on block that's gonna be silly.
3B,K's pushout isn't much of a factor to me.
Decreased damage is a bit of a blow though, but still it's a whiff punisher that does command throw damage. Not exactly "little" damage.

REM B Damage nerf and CE safety nerf imo is a non-issue.

I am concerned about :
If 22A,B doesn't push out at all.
if 66B,B is punishable on block.

The following will REALLY affect my game:
If 66K's blockstun is nerfed so much that the 2nd hit is interruptable.
If 3(B) RE A can now be launch interrupted.

RAAAAPED.

I'm so disheartened at the fact that they raped a character that wasn't even top tier. Seriously, he was probably one of the hardest hit. Xiba's BIGGEST weakness has always been (imo) that he doesn't have the tools to initiate an aggressive offense, and with this system where guard crushing is a very integral part of the game; he was now forced to rely on CH to make his damage. i.e. CH 6A,K and CH 6B,K. Opponents who caught on realize that the counter to this is to play a very safe and turtly game against Xiba and not allow the CH to win. All these nerfs are completely unnecessary but alas, it is what it is =/

Even if Channeling Kick is only -10, now when it gets jG it will be ridiculously punishable by anyone. Though I admit I would still use it, though definitely not as much.

Decreased damage on 3B and the 6BK series is a bitch since it was the cornerstone of most Xiba's game.

22A,B without push back is a worry. Takes a deal from REM follow-ups too.
Also if 3{B} RE A is launch interruptible my use off REM after 3B will be reduced drastically. Add to that that REM A might be unsafe and the risk reward of general REM use goes way down.

66K,B being interruptible would also be killer, and would make 66K,{B} useless.

Across the board reduction of GB damage also sucks, but maybe its not as bad as we think.

Reduction of damage on REM B is minimal so not an issue.

Still gotta play the patch to see how bad of a nerf it is, but he definitely got hit hard.

WTF. All these changes are so stupid it makes me think, is namco trolling or just stupid. Seriously i dont think you can justify a single change on that list. In most games i play which gets balance patches they usually get pretty stupid changes like in this case for xiba and this is the first one for sc5, so hopefully there are more to come and hopefully they arent as bad. but i dunno man this is not a good sign

People are overreacting way to much from the patch details.

Xiba didn't receive any significant nerfs other than the 3bbk damage nerf and the shenanigans that could happen from 3b RM.

The current options against 6ak and 6bk make the follow up k useless (provided ur opponent knows their stuff). In 6ak the k can be interrupted (soft punish, stepped left (hard punish), and from all ranges except close range can be JG'ed (hard punish). In 6bk the k can be interrupted (soft punish), or JG'ed (hard punish). In a+bbk you can't even get to the k without being hard punished due to interruption if you didn't hit confirm the a+b portion correctly which is unsafe in itself.

66a is garbage as spacing/mobility blows this up. Like really do Xiba players use this move lol. 22/88ab is just as garbage for the same reasons.

66/33/99bbb is also garbage as you can step the 2nd b to your right which negates the entire string and hard punish.

66kb has its uses but its already unsafe now as you can step the b follow up in either direction for hard punish. Block and punish or at any part of the b animation (preferrably) last hit JG for hard punish.

Xiba super more unsafe. Ok. I read this as an unsafe super even more unsafe.

All I see as legitimate nerfs here are less damage on 3bkk (10 less) and the longer transition into 3b RM for mixups gimmicks. Other than this Xiba is fine and if anything based on the other nerfs from other characters he might even move up.

Ya im a little annoyed at some nerfs, but in the end i don't think it should really effect anyone's game.

S-U said it all right there, most of this stuff nerfed was already cut to limited use status if you were going against someone GOOD anyway. Some of those moves should never be done anyway and the rest are all unknown changes until we can compare with the nerfs/buffs of the rest of the cast.

Scarier than all these nerfs combined is Viola's b+k BE getting 40 extra damage....... let alone the rest of her stuff.

Xiba wasn't really hurt in this patch. The channeling kick strings are kind of gimicky to begin with. People really aren't going to block the fist hit and get CH by the kick forever. The 3BKK nerf was justified but it's only 10 point of damage. 3B into REM is somewhat gimicky to, I mean it's not like your faced with a tough mix up, plus it's really not hard to react to.

But truly Xiba isn't that good of a character. Some people seem to be under the impression that he was a really strong character. There are just parts of his game that are lacking. His range could be better, and even in mid range(his optimal range) he lacks good horizontals. I mean he needs something mid that's at least 17 frames. He obviously isn't going to get new moves but there are a few things that I wished were buffed that I feel are unneccessarily bad.

3kB should either be faster or safer. It could serve as good block punisher but if your late he gets punished hard. If it was a faster move you could actually punish more properly with it. And at 16 frames it shouldn't be - 18. So if anything make it - 14 at the worst and leave it at i16.

REM K has no business being - 19 on block. It is a slow drawn out motion that is easy to see. There shouldn't be a reward for blocking that. With that much risk there is hardly any reason to even use it unless your opponent just doesn't know Xiba.

33AA is should not be that negative on hit and really shouldn't be all that punishable on block. I mean the range on the first A is okay but then the second A is shorter. It comes out in 27 frames, too easy to react to. People don't even care because it does crappy damage doesn't knock down. And lastly the BE should combo on normal hit. To spend metter only to have it blocked is pretty crappy.

so what are the frame changes? any one tested now that the patch is out? I have no idea how to test the frames so I have to rely on you pros

Some Post-Patch Notes:

3{B} RE transition is not bad at all it seems. 3{B}, RE A interrupts Yoshi's and Pat's AA on block. Meaning it at least interrupts anything slower than i12.
6BK is still COMPLETELY safe. Tested it against aPats CE and you cant be hit with it, meaning its tops -7 on block which is virtually the same it was before.
3BKK damage is now 64. If opponent gets hit by the KK part it does 62 damage.

CH 6BK BE damage is now 73.
CH 6BK, 2A+B damage is 54.
CH 6BK, 6K damage is 50.

CH 6AK BE, 6K damage is 77-82.
REM B, 6BK BE damage is 84.

REM A is now punishable on block by at least Pyrrah's 236B :( ......BIG nerf.

66KB is still un-interruptible except for aPats CE.
66BB is still safe except for aPats CE.

66BB was pretty punishable before, is it much worse now?
66KB, I remember if 66K is blocked opponent usually don't have time to react before B comes out, I hope it's not too punishable now

Need to know something, is it just the channeling kick got nerfed? or are 6A and 6B getting nerfed too in terms of block stun? 6A and 6B are xiba's lifelines, even more than the following K

if REM AK is a combo, but if 1st A on block can be reacted that fast, what's the point of buffing K lol.

66BB was pretty punishable before, is it much worse now?
66KB, I remember if 66K is blocked opponent usually don't have time to react before B comes out, I hope it's not too punishable now

Need to know something, is it just the channeling kick got nerfed? or are 6A and 6B getting nerfed too in terms of block stun? 6A and 6B are xiba's lifelines, even more than the following K

if REM AK is a combo, but if 1st A on block can be reacted that fast, what's the point of buffing K lol.

66BB was completely safe before, the third and first hit were the ones that were unsafe.
66KB still can only be stepped (Except for aPat's CE)

Too late at night for me to test single 6A or 6B lol going to bed.

The single REM A is punishable by itself now. If they try to punish just the A and you go for the K they will get hit, but before you could hit confirm CH REM A into K, now its way more risky with both hits being unsafe.

but they increased the block stun for K, didn't they? is it not enough to make it safe? I thought REM AK always hit confirms, I must not have used this move often.

I'll have to retract my previous statement: 1.02 Xiba is trash.

The thing that hurts him the most imo, is the nerfed movement. Pre-patch, in situations where people were in your face, you could backdash extremely quickly to reset the situation (he had some of the best movement in the game, right behind Nightmare). Xiba didn't need aggressive offense; his mobility was so good to the point where he could get in, do something, and space right back out again (all the while sitting on a 75-80 point dmg whiff punisher). Now that you can't, you're a sitting duck like 99% of the time. Very bad.

Something that hurts him also is the 3B > REM transition. It was his best mid; 3B (blocked) > REM B is a true frame trap on some characters. If people got hit with 3B, they had to immediately guess between the B or the K. Now that it's trash, what is he going to do? 6K? 4B? 3B by itself? All of these options are subpar. A+B is used for specialized situations.

I would like to give a shout out to Namco for shitting on this character and giving him nothing in return. Thank you for forcing us to play with shitty shield-and-sword characters.

Omega Pyrrha, here I come. Where's ShenYuan? I need enlightment...

nerfed movement? as in losing the ability to backstep block? patch notes didn't mention anything about his movement speed change. so the universal movement nerf really changed the game that bad huh

wing: See you soon man. I'm migrating to the Algol forums. =X

Nevertheless, I'm still one of the few people in the universe is actually LIKES Xiba's Character design. So I guess I'll still hang on for dear hope.. I really don't like how I have to play him now though. :(

Back