Yoda General Discussion

I gotta be honest here

Unless your name is oofmatic, if you pick yoda in my games, you're guaranteed to get kicked out as soon as the match is over.

I've faced at least 25 different Yoda's, I believe I lost to 3 of them, 2 of those 3 was me backward pacing and jumping off the ring edge to end the match asap so I could kick the guy out of my room.

Yoda's forces you to spam moves, to do very limited stance antics(if any), and is just downright boring as all hell to play against. I can get my ass kicked by Ivy players 24/7 and I still enjoy the game, because it's a legitimate matchup and 40% of my movelist isn't invalid.

Yoda, you are FORCED to spam with certain characters, period. Usually 95% of Yoda users are completely unskilled...it's like he's Gon from Tekken 3, and I never bother playing him seriously either.

so to Oofmatic and all the others that choose to keep playing Yoda....sigh...if that's what you want, but unless you're VERY GOOD, expect to get kicked out of the majority of online matches. At least the people I play with.

Ruiner

I gotta be honest here

Unless your name is oofmatic, if you pick yoda in my games, you're guaranteed to get kicked out as soon as the match is over.

I've faced at least 25 different Yoda's, I believe I lost to 3 of them, 2 of those 3 was me backward pacing and jumping off the ring edge to end the match asap so I could kick the guy out of my room.

Yoda's forces you to spam moves, to do very limited stance antics(if any), and is just downright boring as all hell to play against. I can get my ass kicked by Ivy players 24/7 and I still enjoy the game, because it's a legitimate matchup and 40% of my movelist isn't invalid.

Yoda, you are FORCED to spam with certain characters, period. Usually 95% of Yoda users are completely unskilled...it's like he's Gon from Tekken 3, and I never bother playing him seriously either.

so to Oofmatic and all the others that choose to keep playing Yoda....sigh...if that's what you want, but unless you're VERY GOOD, expect to get kicked out of the majority of online matches. At least the people I play with.

Ruiner

Since when is online takin seriously?
Also you obviously haven't played me
Also you play raph, Yoda forces spam antics? You force them on yourself.

So I've been trying to think of setups for Yoda's 66AB (or the force cancel version of it). It telegraphs like hell if you just throw it out when the opponent is just blocking or something...and baiting opponents to attack before the string ends only works for so long. So what I came up with is take a combo that ends with an attack that you can force cancel out of. Say 6A+K > 3B; force cancel into the jedi master combo at the end of it (since the second hit of 3BB won't hit anyways). There would probably be better situations in which this might work, perhaps after the side levitation kick on hit.

Anyways, I'm just trying to get some discussion going in the good ol' Yoda SA.

That's a pretty good setup for the JMC, I can definitely see it working.

I've been looking for some setups for it myself (<3 free throw attempt/BB/6B on block), and one setup that I think is decent is after his levitation kick:

44_22_88A+B, A,B or Force Cancel 4_2_8A+B+K, A,B

The timing can be tricky (just like his multiple levitation kicks).

Another one is in a combo:

3B, 2_8B+K, 4A+K,B or 236B, 2B+K (8B+K on 2P side), 4A+K,B

Another setup can be:

CH A+B,B, 4A+K,B

It's too bad that he doesn't seem to have any situations where the opponent is forced to block it. (no pun intended)

No, 3B_236B, 2_8B+K is guaranteed. I normally finish it with 6B+K,B.

3B, 2B+K, 6B+K,B is good for a back ringout, while 236B, 2B+K, 6B+K,B rings out to the right. On the 2P side you gotta do 8B+K instead, otherwise the rest will whiff.

).

Another one is in a combo:

3B, 2_8B+K, 4A+K,B or 236B, 2B+K (8B+K on 2P side), 4A+K,B

Another setup can be:

CH A+B,B, 4A+K,B

It's too bad that he doesn't seem to have any situations where the opponent is forced to block it. (no pun intended)

Oof that combo, i've been using it everytime i've played you, did you just figure it out?
Also you did two inputs for it, 3B+K is also a shortcut for 3B, 2_8B+K

Also actually there are some situations where they are, such as 22_88A or YRC 2_8A+K > YRC 4A+K, B
On wakeup they are forced to block if you can time it right, the stun cripples and if they wake up they are forced to eat it, works well in corners.

No Demarcus, there really aren't any new combos that I just figured out. Aside from the JMC setups that I mentioned, I've been using the 3B/236B combos for a while. I'd rather go for the combos instead of the JMC setups actually.

Also, I'd rather do 3B than 3B+K, since 3B+K uses force right at the start, and if I change my mind and want to change my force cancel to something else I would have wasted unnecessary force.

No Demarcus, there really aren't any new combos that I just figured out. Aside from the JMC setups that I mentioned, I've been using the 3B/236B combos for a while. I'd rather go for the combos instead of the JMC setups actually.

Also, I'd rather do 3B than 3B+K, since 3B+K uses force right at the start, and if I change my mind and want to change my force cancel to something else I would have wasted unnecessary force.

Yea i know i was just saying that it was a shortcut, I agree with you i would rather go for my damage instead of the setups, but i do 236B...,BT B+K more than anything.
Also 236B...,BT B+K is a combo and works better than 4B+K

236BBBBB, BT B+K isn't a combo... they can block it, so doing 4B+K is better because it's guaranteed...

To be honest even though I do practice the 236BBBBB timing and it does do good damage, I think doing 236B, 2B+K, 6B+K,B is better. (except the 6B+K whiffs on some characters, I know it whiffs on Algol, not sure who else).

The reason I say it's better to do it is because I believe that in the long run, consistency > damage.

236B, 2B+K, 6B+K,B is a consistent 56 damage, where as if you fail the 236BBBBB you get much less damage (a around 40 usually), and you're left open for punishment, and if you land 236BBBBB, 4B+K, it's 64 damage. So I think it's better to get a consistent 56 damage every time you land 236B, instead of trying to go for 64 damage, and risk screwing up and getting around 40 and getting punished. Although which one is better to do really depends more on the character you're fighting, since it can be pretty easy to land 236BBBBB on some characters.

Also, about the 3B+K, I think that move, as well as 236B+K is only there to psyche the opponent out with the placing of the flash... because other than that they seem pretty useless when you can just do it the 'normal' way....

Two other good setups for his JMC that I forgot to mention would be after hitting 3B or 236B... so it would be 3B_236B, 4A+K,B.

236BBBBB, BT B+K isn't a combo... they can block it, so doing 4B+K is better because it's guaranteed...

To be honest even though I do practice the 236BBBBB timing and it does do good damage, I think doing 236B, 2B+K, 6B+K,B is better. (except the 6B+K whiffs on some characters, I know it whiffs on Algol, not sure who else).

The reason I say it's better to do it is because I believe that in the long run, consistency > damage.

236B, 2B+K, 6B+K,B is a consistent 56 damage, where as if you fail the 236BBBBB you get much less damage (a around 40 usually), and you're left open for punishment, and if you land 236BBBBB, 4B+K, it's 64 damage. So I think it's better to get a consistent 56 damage every time you land 236B, instead of trying to go for 64 damage, and risk screwing up and getting around 40 and getting punished. Although which one is better to do really depends more on the character you're fighting, since it can be pretty easy to land 236BBBBB on some characters.

Also, about the 3B+K, I think that move, as well as 236B+K is only there to psyche the opponent out with the placing of the flash... because other than that they seem pretty useless when you can just do it the 'normal' way....

Two other good setups for his JMC that I forgot to mention would be after hitting 3B or 236B... so it would be 3B_236B, 4A+K,B.

Yea i need to start playing Soul Cal again lol

Wierd question here but curious, i don't have Yoda, but can Yoda grab Yoda? It seems like he should be able to...

I was experimenting with JMC setups, and the only one that really seems valid is the backward force levitation kick on CH (since that's the one with knockdown). One setup might be CH 2_8A+K > 4A+B+K > AB. I think for combos that end in 3B it'd be better to cancel to a forward force levitation kick (3B > 6A+B+K).

One random thing I found.

6A+K > 4K is a tech trap for all except Right tech. In general I'm trying to figure out a use for 4K, just because they listed it in the 'signature moves' section and it seems pretty bad otherwise. I'm thinking it's either one of his evasive moves or a thing to use for tech traps.

I was experimenting with JMC setups, and the only one that really seems valid is the backward force levitation kick on CH (since that's the one with knockdown). One setup might be CH 2_8A+K > 4A+B+K > AB. I think for combos that end in 3B it'd be better to cancel to a forward force levitation kick (3B > 6A+B+K).

One random thing I found.

6A+K > 4K is a tech trap for all except Right tech. In general I'm trying to figure out a use for 4K, just because they listed it in the 'signature moves' section and it seems pretty bad otherwise. I'm thinking it's either one of his evasive moves or a thing to use for tech traps.

your JMC setup, i've been using it for a while but, it can be easily rolled back or to the side JMC setups tend not to work.
Also for your 3B, 6A+B+K it does poor damage for using force, even tho it does leave you at a BT B+K it can be blocked so it's not really worth it just do 3B,8B+K,6B+KB

6A+K is the tech trap for Yoda, but 4K doesn't work into that and when whiffed your fucked.

Naw, I was saying that for combos that end in 3B where 3B is just a ground hit (like 6A+K > 3B). Giving up damage for (not so strong) setups would be stupid, but if you all you're doing is tagging on damage at the end with a 3B that won't launch for more damage, you might as well tag on 6A+B+K for more pressure.

Also, what do you mean '4K doesn't work into that'? I know it's not the best thing ever, but it's a tech trap (Yoda tech trap?!?! wtF?!?) and it ends up doing more damage than tagging on 3B at the end IIRC.

One last thing, 6A+K > 3B > 4A+KB, if the opponent techs forward after the 3B ground hit, he actually gets in range of the low attack portion of the JMC. Even when the low attack hits, there's still enough time to step/interrupt though...kinda sad but w/e.

Hmmm... bought Yoda this weekend, was high with a buddy and wanted to do some force flippin' shenanigans. Gotta tell ya, i think it wasn't the smartest move.

Score another 4.99 for PSN/Namco

Naw, I was saying that for combos that end in 3B where 3B is just a ground hit (like 6A+K > 3B). Giving up damage for (not so strong) setups would be stupid, but if you all you're doing is tagging on damage at the end with a 3B that won't launch for more damage, you might as well tag on 6A+B+K for more pressure.

Also, what do you mean '4K doesn't work into that'? I know it's not the best thing ever, but it's a tech trap (Yoda tech trap?!?! wtF?!?) and it ends up doing more damage than tagging on 3B at the end IIRC.

One last thing, 6A+K > 3B > 4A+KB, if the opponent techs forward after the 3B ground hit, he actually gets in range of the low attack portion of the JMC. Even when the low attack hits, there's still enough time to step/interrupt though...kinda sad but w/e.

the Low portion on the JMC gives Yoda no advantage much at all for the JMC to actually hit so the low connecting doesn't really matter because the opponent can just BB you.
4K is not a tech trap.

Back