Yun-Seong General Discussion

Yeah, Crane will avoid all weapon verticals except unblockables (and a handful of not-verticals) and launch a kick attack. If you press K while the attack hits, Yun will go into an attack throw. If you don't press K while it hits, the attack will cause a stun and I believe you will go back into Crane (so if they're close to an edge you can CR K->CR A+B for an RO).

I think that's right... mikosu can correct me if I'm wrong lol

Lol. The SHK stun only happens on CH and it doesn't guarantee anything sadly. You nailed the rest RT0wn. Crane evade is worth fearing but it's not very good in some matchups. The typical Asta for example doesn't use Craneable stuff often. It's nice if you predict a 22B though.

First of all here theres a bit of a curve with Yun players here as most of them play EXACTLY the same. Its probably because EVERY tourney player here who plays Yun is a scrub who needs to learn a complex character. I have my own faults because I use Sophitia who is technically a pick-up-and-play character but in my defense I've played her so long and her commands haven't changed very much so I can use 92-97% of her moves easily in a stressful tourney setting anyway, I'm just saying Yun users need to try and use a character who isn't simpler than a Mario Party minigame
Continuing discussion, why do you think Yun-Seong is such a simple character? I'd say a character like Astaroth, who has no stances, is simpler, in my personal opinion.

He's overpowered and has almost no draw backs hes a pick up and play like Sophitia Cassandra etc but he has no depth other than that and most other characters have many extra layers of depth on top of the skeleton the developers decided to give Yun but without any extra skin. Anyway wasn't trying to start a fight between Sophie and Yun fans, just complaining about my experiences with many players who use him.

He's overpowered and has almost no draw backs hes a pick up and play like Sophitia Cassandra etc but he has no depth other than that and most other characters have many extra layers of depth on top of the skeleton the developers decided to give Yun but without any extra skin. Anyway wasn't trying to start a fight between Sophie and Yun fans, just complaining about my experiences with many players who use him.
Yun is overpowered......with no draw backs... 0_0 .. I don't think we are playing the same game. Your kidding right?
And Sophitia is a MUCH simpler character to learn and master. If you doubt it open up a pole see what the crowd thinks.

Wasn't trying to start a fight and Sophie is also not actually annoying, whoever chose his voice actor and lines is a dumb ass

He's overpowered
I don't think a Yun-Seong player has ever won a tournament.

Yun is one of the worst rated characters in the game. His attacks are pretty much all unsafe, only has a few good mixups, and Crane is not a very good stance... period. The only thing Yun-Seong has going for him is ground damage.

As far as Yun's voice acting... I like his lines, he has a sense of humor the rest of the male cast lacks(besides Maxi).

I know you weren't trying to start a fight, and I'm not either. It's a discussion... the fact that you think Yun-Seong is overpowered is really... strange. Most people won't touch him for the fact that they think he's a stupid character and he's UNDERpowered.

You've never played against people I know who play with him...its bad... they've practically mastered him and I've barely beaten them with anyone but Sophie so Yun CAN be a weapon in tourneys

Yun has never won any tournament with legitimate high level competition. Infact, he's never really placed top 8 at a major, which is the dividing line. He is unsafe, and once properly educated against, a BAD character. Sisters eat him up for free, so do the entire S and A tiers.

-Idle

Yun really isn't as bad as people make him out to be (...against players/characters who can't punish). He may never be at frame advantage, but at least he has options. With good spacing, a whole lot of options open up. At range, he's not bad at all. 66A, 3A, and 22A are very reliable step catchers. His whiff punishing with 236KK, which has deceptively long range, is great if they miss the JU, and there's also A+BmashB and 33B. For pokes, He also has 11B which isn't that easy to block or punish, WS B which is safe, ranged, and actually gives a lot of advantage. Both are very linear but he has tools to discourage step.

His reverse mixup, which you'll constantly be using, is pretty good. There's 44B, which discourages attacking at advantage with short ranged moves. He has tons of TC options, a great TJ in 9B+K, and he can step G or backstep like everyone else. His KK is i12 and is 0 on hit/ch, pretty good for Yun. Crane evade as a reverse mixup tool is actually pretty awful and shouldn't be used. It only starts evading at frame 12 or something, and the mids you want to evade will be i15-i20... might as well KK to stop them in the situations where the evade would actually work (-3 to -8) In fact, most of his attacks leave him at such large disadvantage on block that you can't use his the aforementioned moves after they block your attacks, you can only use them if they hit you, and even then you can only crane if you're at a range where they're forced to use a long ranged linear move, which they're not gonna do because you could just step G and punish it. Which you should probably do instead. HOWEVER if they don't end up doing anything at advantage, and you crane... hey, you managed to get into crane. Not too bad.

Crane stance itself is really good if you can into it safely and have perfect execution. It has hard counters for everything except mid kick and step G, but those only work if Yun enters the stance at disadvantage (mid kick gets interrupted by CR B, and step G will get hit by CR A for tons of damage). To get into Crane, you might use his stance transitions. But, they kinda suck on block, like almost every other stance transition in the game. Most of them involve a string that you can decide to either stop early and go into CR or finish the string unsafely. Sometimes they cause enough hesitation to do a CR reverse mixup, but... are you really gonna finish that string on block? It's not really a credible threat. 3{K} is probably the best one, but on block they can just mid kick you if you don't {B+K} out of there. So I generally enter crane by whiff punishing small stuff up close with 3K, or just by hitting B+K at large advantage. If they decide to GI, I get a free 80 damage and then crane mixups, if I execute properly. If they step/backstep G, I can start CR mixups. If they do their reverse mixup, I'll probably eat quite a bit of damage though.

He also has really good oki. On any knockdown, he can force you get up and block 66K. It seems to catch rolls in both directions if it's spaced to hit at the tip. They also have to fear 1KK if they stay grounded, as both hits will connect if it's a grounded hit, unless they tech a certain direction after the first hit. However, 66K already makes them want to get up, and if they do, all 1K variants will likely not be worth it. Since he forces them to stand, they're prone to grabs as they get up. And if they block a spaced 66K, you're perfectly safe with the amount of pushback it gives. As for his special knockdowns, he often has tech trap mixups that cover all options, though some are gimmicky or are unsafe.

Generally, characters can either cover reverse mixups really well, can punish, or have strong offensive mixup, but not both. Slow characters who can't punish or short ranged characters can get abused to hell by Yun's Soul Crush game. His unsafe but soul damaging moves pushback a little, and when spaced they're not easy to punish. Some of them force crouch which can make it even harder. Against characters who can punish but can't mixup too well, 6A+B is the move of choice. This move crushes in 9 blocks and is -10.

Yun can actually put on pressure! yeah! in SCIV! i know right? The synergy with his soul crush game and his pushback, force-blocking oki, and reverse mixup makes this character work. Just not very well, since it's very hard to soul crush someone who isn't ridiculously turtley, and it's not hard for the opponent to play offensively and block and punish at the right times, mixing up in a way that makes the risk/reward favor them greatly.

god daaaaaamn why do I feel the need to type this much about this game....

I'll say some casual stuff since I like Yun. He's funny, and he's silly......and oh wait he's like Johnny Bravo. Hoo-hah-hoo. Man I'm pretty! I should make a Johnny Bravo CAS themed Yun sometime later lol.

Sadly Yoshi I can't say the same but I do agree hes a bit like Johnny Bravo but has the voice/attitude of an obnoxious fan boy but I honestly think I'm done talking about this whole Yun thing I can't believe I got this worked up over polygons and voices. Either way I respect people who play fairly with Yun and I've begun to notice the way people talk about Sophitia, so I'm done attacking Yun so I can defend Sophie - for now...

Sadly Yoshi I can't say the same but I do agree hes a bit like Johnny Bravo but has the voice/attitude of an obnoxious fan boy but I honestly think I'm done talking about this whole Yun thing I can't believe I got this worked up over polygons and voices. Either way I respect people who play fairly with Yun and I've begun to notice the way people talk about Sophitia, so I'm done attacking Yun so I can defend Sophie - for now...

When I see Johnny Bravo, Yun-Seong, Dan Hibiki, and Johnny Cage for instance, I know they're supposed to be enjoyed in a "wow this dude is full of himself. What a fool". But I don't hate funny guys like them at all. Instead, I welcome it.

Ah to each his own but just something about Yun makes my skin crawl and and makes me feel like he should be in a terrible place...like starring in a romantic comedy with B+ actors

...Someone is seriously trolling the Yun boards? =\. Wow, as if their character having a negative on hit BB and unsafe EVERYTHING isn't hard enough :,(. And its someone with a Sophitia avatar saying he's cheap.
I don't think I've ever seen someone call Yun cheap, except my cousin who couldn't deal with Crane A spam becaues he didn't know how to duck...

To add: I find that a lot of people underestimate Yun due to looking like crap on paper, being punishable and all. But I agree with Signias post.

With patience, good spacing and knowing how and when to punish with those unsafe moves will get you the win.

Tips: his 44b is the best 44b in the game, it also isnt stupid to use that move 2 times in a row ;). Dont be afraid of going into crane instantly (k+b) , just use it sparingly on your turn k[g] after or 2kk. It can work really well on wake up. A+K is safe. A simple throw, a+k mixup works. 22b can hit grounded. 4k is a move i like to use due to it being a mid kick that tech crouches.. CR b+k or hold back when CR b+k for a shorter jump is good to throw in after a 44b hits, leading into a free bb if guarded, you can even cancel it.

Using Yunseong will mean that you will need to have a good understanding of your opponents character. Certain moves will work better against certain characters. Or I guess you can say they will have more usage against certain character. I for instance use 4k more against Kilik since it beats that Asura thing. Pick up on how your opponent plays right away. Read your opponent. Space, turtle, when its your turn dont let them get theirs back.. :)

Back