Astaroth Q&A/Discussion Thread

I just tried it and got it to work as well. I noticed that for the throw to connect you have to launch with the 22B BE while standing at the head, if it connects from the side or legs then you only get the regular 1BB without the AT so my usual 66[K], 22B BE won't work with this since it leaves you behind the opponent. Kinda strange but like 136 said it has to be done during a stun combo and won't work with just the opponent laying down, very strange.

I just tried it and got it to work as well. I noticed that for the throw to connect you have to launch with the 22B BE while standing at the head, if it connects from the side or legs then you only get the regular 1BB without the AT so my usual 66[K], 22B BE won't work with this since it leaves you behind the opponent. Kinda strange but like 136 said it has to be done during a stun combo and won't work with just the opponent laying down, very strange.

It's not really that strange. The AT only triggers on 1BB when it's a counterhit, and the first part of 1BB is what puts the opponent in a stunned state. As you may have noticed, characters remain in this stunned state during many of our combos, thanks to grounded 22K and CH 6B. It looks pretty goofy, but it makes sense in a technical way.

Does this work off of the CE? I know there is a part where they are spinning on the ground where I think you can get them with the 22B BE while still spinning but I don't know if that counts the way a stun combo would.

*Edit - It does not. :( It counts as a regular off the ground apparently.

^ Yeah, plus I'm having trouble even getting the first 1B to connect on smaller characters. Oprah sure as hell doesn't like getting hit by it.

Dammit, I thought that I could get a 66A[ B ] after a 3KA w! but it seems that the [ B ] is techable due to the wallhit being at a weird angle or something. 33AB works fine off it though there are better options.

i've not seen this mentioned before but i was just messing around in practice mode and the buffer window for the command throws is huge, you can do HCF 4B+G and it'll give the command throw.

it seems the only commands you actually need are 6,2,and 4, the 1 and 3 can be totally ommited.

I wonder if this would still work if you are up against the wall? Since you could only AC out of it backwards they might now be able to escape. Near a low wall they might actually ring themselves out if they try. I wouldn't do it near a ledge though, if it connects you ring yourself out.

Can you win games with just 44A?

I've been wanting to play a spacing/keepout/ranged/turtle character. Nightmare agA + 3AA hasn't been working well for me.

Well not literally with just 44A but it is pretty good at that role. Granted people can back up, let you whiff, and then run up in your face while recovering so you gotta be careful with it.

Yeah, it does seem like he's pretty bad when it comes to whiffing. Just gotta play tighter, I guess.

Thanks.

yeah you can against people that are not good at playing the range game, but against someone that knows what they're doing you'll need more then 1 move.

Yes, I see that.

I've been doing some rudimentary experiments with "ranged" characters, and have come across the conclusion that if you're getting consistently ranged out, even after attempting to adapt and changing playstyles, the other person's just better than you are.

Man. Does anybody in this game have it easy? You'd think from the complaining it'd be "yes!"

I just tested it in training (been kinda lazy and ignoring this) and the opponent cannot AC out of the 1BB after a stun combo>22B BE if they are up against the wall since there is no room for them to go backwards. They can't even AC out of it when against a low (I was hoping some people might ring themselves out) wall so in any wall combo this should still work. The whole thing still whiffs on smaller characters though.

For when you already have used up both w! in a combo. Like 624B+G, A+G, w!, 3KA, w!, 6B, 22_88K, 22_88B BE, 1BB, 2A+G_2B+G. Also if you use it near a low wall you get the ring out instead of w!. Basically I was just saying that it is possible and the option is there for those who want to use it.

I've been using my 1BB combo discovery in matches lately, and it certainly does come in handy on several stages. In fact, I've even begun to use 63214B+G, 6632K, 22B BE, 1BB if I know it will lead to a ring out or wall splat/pressure. Of course, the opponent can ukemi the 22K, but if your opponent is ukemi-ing B grabs, you should tech trap them with PT next time. Also, if your opponent hasn't experienced 1BB in combos, he probably won't AC correctly at first (think of it as a cheesy gimmick).

Korn also pointed out the main strength to it. Near a low wall, don't go for the wall-hit. Just 1BB in your stun combo, because they can't escape it anyway.

How do you deal with rushdown characters?

Questions:
1. techniques for dealing with the up-close and personal
2. moves with push-back and spacing

thanks

How do you deal with rushdown characters?

Questions:
1. techniques for dealing with the up-close and personal
2. moves with push-back and spacing

thanks

some moves you just have to accept defeat with, natsu 66B for instance, it'll leave her fair enough away that she's safe and with enough frames that anything you do could turn out to be the death of you.

against those kinds of moves i just cut my losses and back off after blocking them, it's not worth getting in to that kind of mind game where your damage output wont really be that good.

If someone gets up in you face guess the A with 66{K}, guess the B with 22B and guess the low with 3B+G, the good thing about doing this is that even if you get hit the options are still the same and you can afford to guess wrong 3 times against most characters and still be in a pretty good position.

Im not sure I understand the uses of Asty's CE. It has slightly better range then his normal command grabs and is unbreakable, but isnt it slower? So how / when do you use it instead of a normal command grab?

Back