Mitsurugi General Discussion and Q&A

Well, he hits harder.

Increased damage across the board is kind of like a comeback mechanic... Mitsurugi can easily undo a Viola's pressure chipping with a reversal of fate and a few 50/50s.

But that's not really a good answer...

Are you on PS3? Can you upload a replay?

Have you studied Viola's entry here?

Viola is linear at range. If you're far away, keep stepping. If she does something stupid, 8WR A+B, bada bing, bada boom.

What are you trying to do up close? 6B9, B6, 3A, 1B, there are plenty of fast options. You can even space her out because she has poor range on her claw attacks.

If Viola isn't pressuring you with 6B+K she's a noob Viola... study the matchup and you'll win. They won't be able to handle Mitsu's power.

Natsu isn't so bad, either... Punishing AAB with 6B9 is glorious...

Right, I've just had a quick browse through the Viola boards, and apparently a fair few of the guys over there are/were encountering a bit of a wall when running into Rugi... So yeah, IS Mitsu a bad matchup for Viola or were those guys not playing it right?

Cause I have to say, from my own limited experience fighting Viola seems a bit like climbing a mountain. I honestly cannot stress enough how much I loathe fighting Viola. At range she has better options and up close everything I seem to draw for is far too slow. She can attack damn near continuously and makes Natsu seem like a fucking old lady with the sheer length and speed of the strings... Honestly, between Viola and Natsu I'm one bad game away from shopping this damn game in for a bit of... Well, anything the f**k else. Don't care how that sounds, I'm not gonna force myself to play a game that isn't fun for the sake of it, that's a mugs game. /rant.

So yeah, where are the holes in her game that apparently Viola players think Rugi is adept at abusing?

Edit: Fair enough Mods, my bad.
As a Mitsu mainer and Viola as my secondary, this sounds a little ridiculous. At range, Viola does NOT have better options, and you can always keep her at a range where she has to take risks and jump through hoops to get in. Her only way of beating step at range is 66AAB, which is a high and does low damage for how unsafe it is. Each hit after the first is duckable if you block the first, and the three hits won't combo unless it's a CH.

Keep her out with 4A, 6B, 6B9, and 66A. She's at the mercy of your 4B and 22B, she has to step these or she won't gain any ground.

Yeah, I should clarify that I meant long range where the ball comes into play, but I know that's steppable, I was just in rant mode really when I wrote that. I think my main problem with her is a lack of matchup experience, I don't really know where I can duck and where there are gaps big enough to step or squeeze in a poke, it just doesn't seem like there are any gaps at all lol, one step is all she really needs and loads of mitsus stuff seems to whiff for days and then bam, she's in and if I don't constantly defend it's sad times. And I seem to run into the seriously good Violas a lot, and that can't help matters at all...

Thanks for the tip about 66AAB Signia, now I just have to find out exactly what that looks like cause that's complete jibberish to me at this point lol.

I really wont like it if Mitsu gets nerfed on 4B, Im pretty sure when Bibulus interviewed Daishi and asked about 2KB gettin nerfed, they replied how they balanced that out by giving him a good offense and mentioned 4B being part of that. That would be such a slap on the face if they mess with it after saying that.

From what I hear the game as a whole is getting generally nerfed, which is ok really as long as we don't wind up with just another Natsu(i.e. something clearly ahead of the rest of the pack almost by default). As for new moves, I would take some minor overall damage nerfs if they brought back the quick mid out of mist.

Also, one thing I honestly do really hope they patch is how easy it is to get 6B:2 instead of 6b2. I can not be the only one who gets the uselessly slow, punishable version that doesn't work at the end of combos =[

So how is Mitsu supposed to build meter? I find I get more meter getting beat up and using Ukemi, or from the free bar from losing two rounds, than actually inflicting damage.

3B_33B_2KB BE are supposed to have lowered meter gain... Does this mean that 2KB BE is going to be less integral, that it's just going to be a nice bonus when you happen to have the meter to spend?

From what I hear the game as a whole is getting generally nerfed, which is ok really as long as we don't wind up with just another Natsu(i.e. something clearly ahead of the rest of the pack almost by default).
Natsu was really not super great pre-nerf. That's coming from someone who is used to getting hit with CH wrK on the regular.

I think mitsu meter usage is among absolutely the best in this game
All 3 BE's are very useful
his CE is extremely good
so he is actually meter dep character. more than most.
I wonder how badly 2KB is nerfed, if it doesnt get any meter it might be a good nerf

Here is the complete list:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=...date_march_2012.pdf&embedded=true&chrome=true

Overall, he just got minor nerfs in dealing guard damage and in increasing meter-gain, but he really isn't a meter-dependent character:

His BE is used strictly for combos (usually only 1) and his 2KB*
His CE sucks ass, as its only used for RO and KO combos with his A+G throw

That nerfs probably aren't too bad but Mitsu is extremely meter dependent.

I think mitsu meter usage is among absolutely the best in this game
All 3 BE's are very useful
his CE is extremely good
so he is actually meter dep character. more than most.
I wonder how badly 2KB is nerfed, if it doesnt get any meter it might be a good nerf

I would argue that if you read your opponent properly, most of his BEs are not required, except 2KB*

- 3B* is mostly used as way of making 3B safe or using it as a ghetto hit-confirm (BE better suited for other stuff)
- 236B* useful to get nasty damage and oki (one of the many useful combo extensions)
- MST B* best BE for CH combos if you catch the opponent with it (also good for post Guard Burst if you don't have 1 full meter, or you're saving it for his 2KB*)

Don't get me wrong saying that he not meter dependent, he needs meter, just not as much as other characters (Algol, Tira, etc...)

I doubt these nerfs are seriously going to affect his overall meter gain. 2K BE losing gain is expected, and the rest are unlikely to be that significant. The only other losses affect 3B and 33BB. While important moves, I doubt this would amount to even a 10% loss in meter gain, assuming they don't zero them (and they won't).

I'm actually more concerned about losing his guard damage, specifically 66A+B. Then again, they're leaving 22B untouched, so I doubt it will be that much worse.

All in all, seems Mitsu got away pretty well. I was honestly expecting some damage nerfs.

He defnitely got off pretty well, my other mains got screwed Mitsu is a little weaker but he's still gonna be competing.

Back