Quinion's Customs House

Lotsa comments...first things first

@Kostas_Greece , @Le_Bello, @KokoYoshi: Thanks much for the kind words.

Actually Ivy is not a true 3P, I went full CAS, because her intended age is late teens (to fit the prequel time frame), and has a much younger face......body proportions were set to give her those Ivy curves but a little scaled back to adjust for age.

Maybe I'll post one without the mask to show you; but with the alternate (young) face she just wasn't quite Ivy. Lucky for me there was a mask that fit perfectly in the design and covered up just enough the mind fills in the rest.

@VILARCANE , the compliments are always left-handed but I'll take it anyway. I've put in my flights of fancy (dragon, turtle, cowboy, contest entries, request thread, etc), but most of the time , I'm happy making Soul Calibur chars. Plus, what you gonna do? @brucege is always telling me I overuse patterns........

@TiraRules , I've seen your Frederick, is dead-on SC4 Frederick, but others have posted their Frederick too. Didn't you post your Taki?

Point is, lots of folks have done their own takes on lots of SC chars, and for this bunch I want to do my own take on Frederick. Don't worry, if he ends up looking too much like yours, I'll give you props.

but am i left-handed sir, what can i say :(...honestly, your reply felt a bit uncalled for, but i know better and i'll stay away from now on...

Edgemaster's helmet rocks! I think he'd be even better off as an original character so that you could play up that bird motif. Definitely a pair of wings or some feathers at least. Toki's claw-like feet and horned armor suggest that after all those years of slaying monsters, he's turned to a beast himself. Fascinating work!

Good ideas but I want to avoid original characters for one reason: I don't want to do fanfic characters. I want at least some basis in existing SC chars (or unused designs).

That said I really like the elder Adams idea.....antiquities dealer with Raph style.Maybe some others make it in, who knows. I really want to recreate discarded SC concepts for this set AMAP.

Next batch for the prequel set:

Azola (based on that dropped Sophitia alt, who was then switched to be Azola)
azola.png

Arthur, the young samurai (with a much thinner beard)
Arthur2.png

and Frederick Schtauffen (based on the SC art, not the lame SC4 CAS version)
FrederickSchtauffen.png

More on the way, including a new original to help round out the cast, and a boss. What self-respecting fighting game doesn't have a final boss?

That shoulder plate is very clever. Nice job :3

Thanks @orangeislands31 . Overall I was pretty happy with the way she turned out, and though the shoulder armor helped with the asymmetry, it was still a break from the original design. That paradox of CAS.....to replicate the design you have to go outside of it.

Next up Voldo and a new part original part recreation character for @Ramus

Voldo (hairstyle from those SC flashback illos)

Voldo.png

and per Ramus' request, the Birds of Passage leader from that Tira illus in the SCV artbook. I call him Reinhold, though I have no idea what his name is supposed to be, or if the guy is even supposed to be the leader of the BOP.........................
Reinhold.png

I agree. That Azola is stunning. I say artistic intent trumps accuracy any day. I do believe she could profit from a third accent color (like black) though. Very nice job of unwinding the clock on Arthur. Manly grey/tan color scheme with bold red accents. Freddie's a very competent redesign. The feathers of strength help mix things up a bit. Anyways, welcome back!

Not at all. Quinion is a skilled CaS artist in his own right with a style of his own.

Voldo alt: the fauld's striations are echoed on the shirt with the zipper sticker. The chains on the neck and arms evoke Voldo's bondage theme. The spikes taken in conjunction with the vivid red color scheme introduces a theme of torture/pain. A surprising, yet completely natural, twist to the original concept. That chain's a little too forward though since it's sticking out of his neck. After that minor correction, this Voldo alt gets near perfect marks for aesthetics, technique, and design.

Reinhold: excellent recreation. I ran out of review juice after the paragraph above lol.

@brucege as always, a thorough and insightful review.....you very much pegged that Voldo , and to be honest, in contrast to cherry picking old Project Soul illos and dropped concepts with no game history to speak of, the regular cast chars require extra attention to make them authentic/in-character. Rewarding to hear it that effort is appreciated.

Oh, and @KokoYoshi 's comment is kind of a running gag...he always says that, and I take it as a compliment...... when he calls me that, I know he likes what he sees.... a little smack talk that's all in good fun.

Enough chit chat, how about some more stuff?

First up, Seong Han Myeong
Seong Han-Myeong.png

and a new char to use that Hilde style: Ntombi. Really liked the way she turned out...looks awesome in-game, very authentic, very Soul Calibur
Ntombi.png

Azola...wow. Man, oh, man, where to start...

The design just connects so well at so many intersections between different parts. The very first thing I noticed was how the angling of the buttoned pocket sticker almost blends the Archery Breastplate into the corset in an asymmetrical manner. That is just excellently clever design. It seems you're also using an enlarged star sticker to add in some subtle bump mapping on the breastplate, which is a nice touch.

The breastplate also connects to the Bong-Seon Pauldron in an off-the-shoulder arrangement, which in turn is connected to the right armband by that aesthetically-pleasing construction with two pairs of Feathers of Strength. Speaking of the armband, it's part of the arm equipment set with a gauntlet on the left forearm and hand, where the shield is. This design is elegant on more than one level.

Further south on this design are the waist armor and skirt. The detailing on them is great and all, but what impresses me the most is how surprisingly well it fits with the corset. Usually, waist armor demands a thick top so it doesn't look like it's just magically floating there, but this collector's edition set apparently doesn't do that. In addition, waist armor usually ends up flattening the curve of the hips, but this set actually outlines it, if it doesn't enhance it. It's just such a good choice for this design and it's great that you were able to use it to great effect here.

I usually like to point out areas of improvement in my reviews, but I'm honestly hard-pressed to think of something. I guess I'm not too fond of the Polar Boots. I never really liked them, but even then, they're not a terrible choice for this design. Nonetheless, thank you for this wonderful design. It's a very illuminating study on asymmetry and part coherence.

Ntombi. Wow. Much authentic. So Calibur.

I love her though, she does look like she belongs in the cast. Also your Seong Han Myeong is easily the best on the site. (Though there aren't many I guess, but still!)

Glad you liked it. I also tried stickers (zipper,pockets, others maybe....don't remember) to connect the leather collar/choker to the spaulder or breastplate as well, for an additional connection, but didn't like the results.... I ended up losing more (visually) in the overall look than I was gaining

I think there's still improvement to be made on the breastplate though...maybe i'll fiddle with her a little more.

Last edited:
Last few for the prequel set:

Li Long (really tried to play up the young monk angle)
Li_Long.png

Dampierre...the hardest to get a handle on, so I just came up with a look that's more in keeping with the time period (I mean 19th c top hat and all? in the 1600s?)
Dampierre.png

And last, the final boss, Erebos, an ancient warrior-king interred with Soul Edge and his armored corpse is reanimated by it
erebos.png

looking to do something along the lines of inferno, charade, abyss, nightmare. I wanted a char that was basically just a reanimated suit of armor with a corpse inside, a Soul edge-controlled robot really, but wanted him to have his own visual personality (not just a skeleton face) and with a look that was kind a outdated, ancient for SC times.

Also thought he might come with a little ingame challenge...cutscene where char walks into tomb where he's laid out, Soul Edge opens that eye, then there is a char-specific button-press mechanic where depending on the success, char's lifebar gets stolen and added to the boss's lifebar......

Back