Raph confirmed as SCV Nightmare :D

Since this Nightmare has a little bit of focus and charisma, does that mean Raphael is doing a better job than siegfried at controlling it?

Before he was all "Rah souls!" Slaughtering armies in an open field. Now like other's said he's playing court politician.

Is it more to do with Nightmare taking on Raphael's personality, or is it that Raphael is doing this all his way?

Also since this Nightmare has a wish he wants granted (The perfect world for Amy), how come siegfried didnt try to have a goal to reach for? He just got lost completely in Soul Edge's madness and corruption. Raphael must have a very strong or stubborn soul, even when consumed by Soul Edge he still doesnt lose focus of his plan.

I think it was because at that time, Siegfried was just really arrogant and stuff. Raphael obviously had a really strong will to create this Utopia for Amy, and it also might have to do with the fact that he destroyed Soul Edge in Soulcalibur II. With all that Raphael may have been able to better harvest or control himself under the sword's influence. Siegfried, at the time, was just a boy with this mercenary group probably all war-hungry.

Siegfried, at the time, was just a boy with this mercenary group probably all war-hungry.

That might be it, Siegfried really had no idea what he was in for.

Raphael on the other hand has experience with malfestation and the influence of the sword. Not to mention his love for Amy is so great his soul gets split and he becomes a spirit (or whatever the hell is happening to him) while also having the dual persona of a noble and the Azure Knight. His resolve is rather incredible.

Yeah. I prefer this sophisticated Nightmare than the Soul-Edge-chucking dumbarse.

I love this version as well. He's a very cool blend of Nightmare's savage fighting style coupled with some really clever and interesting lines.

Like old nightmare would never say

"You fight like a mewling child"

Or

"Your madness, how it shines like a beacon!"

It actually suits nightmare really well cause he's got the brain, the brawn, the wit, the style. One could almost say it's Raphael that's possessing Soul Edge and not the other way around, it looks like everything is going as he planed. Until he fights Viola that is and all of a sudden his arm starts aching and erupting lightning.

There was an earlier post here that speculated it could just be the thing like in Soulcalibur how they had Nightmare who was using Siegfried as a host, but then they also had Siegfried just as himself. Could be that kind of spin again.
Lol that would be rather bland if they did that with no other reasons behind it. But yea, there's another possibility. Come on guys, let's keep up the speculation XD

(shrug) Could just keep the fans happy who have Raphael as their main. I'd be pretty pissed if they put Raph's face on Nightmare without a straightforward explaintion. My beat character would have been thrown down the drain, and who would I use to kick some noob's arses with online?

Since this Nightmare has a little bit of focus and charisma, does that mean Raphael is doing a better job than siegfried at controlling it?

Before he was all "Rah souls!" Slaughtering armies in an open field. Now like other's said he's playing court politician.

Is it more to do with Nightmare taking on Raphael's personality, or is it that Raphael is doing this all his way?

Also since this Nightmare has a wish he wants granted (The perfect world for Amy), how come siegfried didnt try to have a goal to reach for? He just got lost completely in Soul Edge's madness and corruption. Raphael must have a very strong or stubborn soul, even when consumed by Soul Edge he still doesnt lose focus of his plan.

I think it's more that Soul Edge gains the skills and memory of its host and its victims, so the diference between Siegfried-Nightmare and Dumas-Nightmare is that Dumas-Nightmare has Soul Edge feeding off of the mind of an obsessive but brilliant nobleman with plans for the world at large while Siegfried-Nightmare had Soul Edge feeding off of a young, arrogant bandit boy running away from his sins and with no ambition beyond undoing his father's murder. Siegfried grew INTO a worthy leader, but at the time he took Soul Edge for his own, he was more or less a more guilt-stricken version of Patroklos. Had Pyrrha possessed Soul Edge long enough to transition fully into her own "Nightmare" state, the personality Soul Edge takes on through her would be different again.

It should be noted, though, that even Siegfried-Nightmare is more intelligent than Inferno itself; possessing Siegfried, Soul Edge assembled minions and advanced plans to complete the sword, but once Inferno alone was possessing the armor, Nightmare quickly went to Stupid Evil's "KILL! MAIM! BURN!" philosophy. It's not just to moderate his power that Soul Edge needs a human host, it's so he has a human mind to give shape to his desires.

They didnt tell us a lot of stuff about the characters, certainly. Not just Nightmare - even info that Xiba was actually Kilik and X's estranged son was kept from us, and only came to light in the Japanese SCV artbook.

I'm still under the impression that Raphael isn't really a ghostly figure as some people say. Sure he may have died and Soul Edge took control of his dead body, but in terms of storyline, I'm still in the camp that he hopped back in as soon as ZWEI killed that Nightmare. Or there was some ancient cloning going on.

Soul Edge I guess is a lot like the Venom symbiote I guess. It just loved Siegfried's Zweihander style so much and reverts to it at default compared to other Soul Edge wielders like Cervantes or Phyrra.

I didn't think so at first, but Raphael as Nightmare really makes sense, and I'm happy to see something new happening with him if it is true. I hope this wasn't the result of laziness and coincidence and that Project Soul really went with this idea. At the very least, I hope they go with this idea now, lol.

I'm extremely disappointed that none of this was explained in-game. Soulcalibur V's gameplay mechanics are my favorite yet, but I wish they would have explained the characters and story better. I would have been more than happy to wait a few more months if it meant characters got their own story modes or at least a chapter or two in the main story.

With any luck, we'll see a DLC mode that does some explaining... At the very least, we'll (hopefully) have our questions answered next time around.

About that sieg/nighty stuff. Thats a whole different story. When Souledge lost Sieg as its host, it took control over his azure armor, so there really were two physical bodies at the same time - normal Sieg and empty armor Nightmare. Now with raph, this doesn't fly.

Imo raph is back because he is an immortal vampire aka undead and Graf Dumas is just Graf Dumas. Thats the most realistic down to earth explanation we can come up with, everything else is just a little bit of a stretch imho.

I always thought that was funny myself. Raphael must be stronger than he looks.

He probably doesnt even know that he's a ghost / spirit / whatever the hell he is.

Aren't vampires supposed to be alot stronger than normal humans? Could explaine how he feels no weight to the sword.

About that sieg/nighty stuff. Thats a whole different story. When Souledge lost Sieg as its host, it took control over his azure armor, so there really were two physical bodies at the same time - normal Sieg and empty armor Nightmare. Now with raph, this doesn't fly.

Imo raph is back because he is an immortal vampire aka undead and Graf Dumas is just Graf Dumas. Thats the most realistic down to earth explanation we can come up with, everything else is just a little bit of a stretch imho.
100% truth right here.

It's the most expected and also the most lazy. He's supposed to be dead in 4 and comes back just cause he can? And it would ruin all these little tips and speculative hints. No corelation between him waking up in a dungeon with Nightmare getting his replacement body from one? Just a happy coincidence? I'd be disappointed if that's how it turned out.

It's the most expected and also the most lazy. He's supposed to be dead in 4 and comes back just cause he can? And it would ruin all these little tips and speculative hints. No corelation between him waking up in a dungeon with Nightmare getting his replacement body from one? Just a happy coincidence? I'd be disappointed if that's how it turned out.
"Viola confirmed as Ivys daughter! They both have white hair, as does ivy's father cervantes. Also they both dabbled into magic and have an affinity for purple clothing and long ranged fighting styles. The age fits perfectly. Just happy coincidence?"

Thats basically the same logic. I am not saying that it couldn't turn out to be true. But taking coincidences as evidence is just not a healthy way for reasoning. To be honest, the only thing "confirmed", is the op to be terrible at naming threads.

Back